Noises

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarrotTop18

Reaction score
I'm new to rabbit behavior and I'm just getting scared, bc I feel like my rabbit is giving me mixed signals. I'm pretty sure my netherland dwarf is a doe, but I cant be sure until I go get her spayed. She thumps a lot to get me to pet her. She also makes a very soft clicking sound when I pet her. I'm not sure if its purring or teeth grinding bc I cant find a loud clip of either anywhere. Also making a humming noise. She is also binkying and flopping, so I just want to know if I'm overreacting or not.

Unspayed/non-neutered bunnies can be quite vocal. But it can also be their personality to be vocal. My previous girl would always thump, grunt and do loud purring to tell me things 🤣

Haha she is super sassy. My bunny has me wrapped around her paw. She learned quickly that I would pet her if she thumped. Now she does it constantly. 😂 I try to resist, but that face is too cute!

I remember when I let my friends meet my girl, they would always be so shock on how much sound she made. They always though bunnies would be quiet.

Bunnies truly pick up behaviors to get what they want. The cuteness also make them escape many things they have done 🤣

Sometimes I think it's my rabbit humming bc they liked their food, sometimes I think it's a fly that got inside lol

I would be so annoyed if I though a fly had gotten in and then find out it was the bunny.

My own netherland dwarf is really quiet, he will only purr and will thump when he get frustrated and want something. Bunnies truly have a hard headed personality 🤣

That teeth grinding sound when you pet her IS bunny purring, needs some getting used to if one doesn't know that.
In my experience males tend to be more vocal than does, but it depends on the individual rabbit.

If you're not sure about what sex you can post pictures here, look at the Sexing rabbit pictures!" thread to see how it's done :)

Thanks, I'm pretty sure now she was purring and not in pain. She was doing bunny 500s and binkying, and I dont think she would do that if she felt uncomfortable. Netherland dwarfs tend to be feisty from what I've read lol. I've turned her over and sexed her once, and I'm 90% sure shes a doe. She was humping a blanket earlier though. I know rabbits do that for dominance and shes not spayed yet, but it is just cast a little doubt in my mind about her sex.

Hi, how old is she? Both male and female can do humping. That soft clicking noise is that she's happy when you pet her, thumping is like she demands something, as you said maybe she learned that she gets pets after that. Flopping is excellent, she's feeling safe and relaxed with you.
She's a beauty :)

3 years? Then if you don't see any testicles at her age she's definitely a she.

Back