Nodding off while sitting up?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
Anybody else's bun doze off while sitting up? Cookie does this a lot, especially when he is out and about... But he does it in his cage too... Could it just be a quirk of his funny personality, like he doesn't wanna nap cuz then he might miss something? Or could it indicate he isn't comfortable enough to just flop and take a nap? If so what can I do to make him more comfortable...

Thoughts? :?

He doesn't flop much in front of us... And never outside of his cage... Occasionally if I am sitting in the kitchen with him he'll flop in his cage and he flops in his litter box every time it's changed and fresh lol but other than that nope... He will rest leaning against the stairs or the wall but doesn't seem to really sleep, during the day (when we see at least) And when I say sitting I mean sitting on all fours... His little head will start nodding and his eyes will close and his head will begin to fall and then he'll wake up... It happens alot...

Our bunnies would sleep sitting up too, instead of a cat nap it was a bunny nap. They seemed quite comfy. My husband sleeps sitting up if he has a full stomach as sleeping laying down gives him acid reflux at that time. Maybe some bunnies have the same problem. lol

gmas rabbit wrote:
Our bunnies would sleep sitting up too, instead of a cat nap it was a bunny nap. They seemed quite comfy. My husband sleeps sitting up if he has a full stomach as sleeping laying down gives him acid reflux at that time. Maybe some bunnies have the same problem. lol

Right, if he were actually sleeping I wouldn't think twice about it... It's the fact that he just sits there with his head bobbing up and down as he begins to fall asleep and then as his head falls he wakes up... Over and over... He's done this for like 30 minutes before! He seems really tired but just won't flop over and sleep...

Harvey does this too. Usually when he's being a bunloaf. He tends to droop and then starts twitching and dreaming. So he does fall asleep but wakes up pretty quickly. It's his version of a cat nap.

But he is a big time flopper.

When he really wants to sleep, he'll go sleep under my bed where it is nice and dark.

LakeCondo wrote:
Does he have a place to go during the day that's relatively dark, a hide box or something?

He does... But I dont think he wants to miss anything lol I ordered him a cottontail cottage for the living room, maybe he will go in there when he's tired... Otherwise,maybe I should just put him back every few hours so he can rest? He just seems like he really wants to sleep when he does this but he's fighting it for some reason...

My husband thinks I'm crazy for worrying lol I can't help it, he's my baby.

He's an inquisitive guy who wants to be where the action is.:coolness: He probably sleeps all the time you're asleep or away. :sleep:

BunMommaD wrote:
MagPie wrote:
But he is a big time flopper

I wish cookie flopped more often... I've only seen him flop a handful of times since we got him... I hope that doesn't mean he isn't comfortable? Maybe some buns just don't like to flop as much as others?

That could be. Just like some rabbits are more active than others. Maybe someone who has had more rabbits than I has thoughts on that.

Bunny flops are really cute tho.

Our new bunny Horatio does this too sometimes while he is eating! He did it a lot the first night we got him because he was so exhausted from his long journey - It was a little scary to watch at first! I can see him do it a little now (he just blinks slowly and his head will tilt up and down just like when a human is trying not to fall asleep in a lecture for example :p), but he will still do a big flop when I come to put him and fall asleep while I stroke him.

I wouldn't be worried at all. It's nice he is comfortable enough to fall asleep anywhere/anyway he likes and not be worried you will eat him! And it means you have tired him out enough so he doesn't make lots of mess in his cage when you are out. At least that's how I see it :p

Edit: Also, how old is he? Ray is only 10 weeks but I was still surprised as how much he sleeps. He loves to just go and flop down and be rubbed while he sleeps for hours on end! He will be active and run around, but then he is very content to sleep the rest of the day :p Some bunnies are more active than others though - Our Poe would sleep a lot during the day but he was still bounding around exploring and making sure he was putting me in my place in between those naps, whereas Ray will run around and do lots of binkies but he still has a quite nature in general. Everyone is different :) I myself prefer the sleepy bunny :p

T

I only asked because I thought maybe he was young like Ray and it could be a baby thing. Either way I think it's cute :p

We thought Dudley stopped growing a while ago, but hes over 3 years old and still seems to keep growing! Plus he is an English Angora so his wool never stops...

T

LakeCondo wrote:
Liz, maybe they meant 18 weeks.

They def said 18 months because they had his birthday down as June 2010... But he's just been growing like crazy lol I wonder if it's possible for a bunnys growth to be stunted if they aren't fed a proper diet? And then when they are fed right again to "catch up" on the growth they missed? If that makes sense...

BunMommaD wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
Liz, maybe they meant 18 weeks.

They def said 18 months because they had his birthday down as June 2010... But he's just been growing like crazy lol I wonder if it's possible for a bunnys growth to be stunted if they aren't fed a proper diet? And then when they are fed right again to "catch up" on the growth they missed? If that makes sense...

I totally think that is possible. When we got Victoria (granted she's a cat) she was extremely skinny from being a stray. They estimated her age at 3 years. She had a growth spurt the first couple months we had her- getting longer and taller in addition to gaining weight in general.

Gary, our little energizer bunny will nodd off sitting up too. I agree, he dones't want to miss anything. He will flop over and stretch out if I'm home sick sleeping, but if I'm doing stuff he doens't want to go to sleep, he would rather "help". Becky, his bunwife, just goes to sleep even if I am puttering around the room.

That makes me feel better brandy! He seemed very thin and didn't have much food available at all at the place we got him from... So maybe he is 18 months but just wasn't fed properly before! I'm anxious to see how much he weighs when he goes back to the vet in 2weeks.

Latest posts

Back