No wrap on sore hocks...and probiotic gel??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlenches28

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My questions are Has anyone gone to the vet and they didn’t wrap up the sore hocks? And anyone have any experience with a pro biotic gel?

Bear with me please as this might be a tad long.

My rabbit has sore hocks (just moved to hardwood/tile house) I brought him to our new rabbit vet three days ago and they gave me a silver sulfadiazine topical cream for the sores, baytril for infection, and then a probiotic gel (tech said it was to keep his got Moving because the baytril can back him up)

They didn’t wrap his feet and I swear they look worse today despite three layers of blankets, towels, and fleece in en enclosed pen.

Also, he has NEVER had trouble with poopy butt or cetotropes and now (i am assuming from the probiotic) he’s got some Poop stuck to his butt and he produces a clump of cetotropes after feeding the probiotic.

I am not trying to second guess the vet; the tech had a rabbit....the vet seemed really knowledgeable and also found Spurs on his teeth (makes sense cuz of a little eye weeping and he’s a rescue that never ate an once of hay until two) the Bill was 400 bucks though and i think i am worried that expensive care doesn’t necessarily mean the BEST care, but before i start asking the vet another 1000 questions i was hoping to get some feedback from anyone.

Also, how long do sore hocks usually take you guys to clear up? Vet couldn’t really give me a time frame and said up to a month. That’s fine if that’s the case; again, just wondering if other people have been through this.

Thank you all; this bunny is my life and seeing him locked up in a pen and hating every second of ointment application is breaking my heart.

Jenn

Pics of both feet and some
Poop on his butt.

Attachments

• E219D238-76F0-4639-8699-C601DEDBEA51.jpeg
    E219D238-76F0-4639-8699-C601DEDBEA51.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 6
  • B7274D1A-35FF-497D-AE95-9BCED4983E00.jpeg
    B7274D1A-35FF-497D-AE95-9BCED4983E00.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 6
  • E76A5E7D-CC9E-46EB-ACAF-67C8FE798477.jpeg
    E76A5E7D-CC9E-46EB-ACAF-67C8FE798477.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
Im having a similar(ish) issue with my bunny. I can’t see his feet too well from the pictures but the vets probably didn’t wrap them because theyre not bleeding yet, so it’s not the worst stage. I would just try to keep him off abrasive flooring, make sure he’s maintaining a healthy weight (Not overweight and make sure his nails are trimmed. Fleece can make sore hocks worse so I wouldn’t use that just in case (unless it’s under another blanket).

The poopy butt does seem a little off, especially as he’s not had it before but I’ve not used probiotics before so i don’t know if that’s a side effect? @JBun might be able to help. It could be due to stress though.

Poor boy. I’m glad you’ve rescued him and are able to help him get what he needs. If you’re having some doubts about the vet, you can always look around and see if you can find a better one. I’m not sure where you are but the house rabbit society (USA) has a list of rabbit savvy vets and RWAF (U.K.) also has one - on their website.

My rabbits sore hocks have been with him since January, although we haven’t really been treating it aside from blankets and ointment whenever he’ll let me. If it’s being treated properly it usually is about a month to two months I think.

Good luck 😔

Thank you so much for your response! My fiancé actually just came home For lunch and applied the cream and he said they actually do look a teeny bit better and that one is starting to scab so hooooopeeeffuulllyyy we’re headed in the right direction, i can get him healed up and then take some
Better preventative measures for the future.

I checked out house rabbit society before but the closest vet on there is about an hour away which isn’t Too terrible but i called around and got
Referred by two people to the vet I’m using. Just hearing someone say they’ve had trouble getting them to heal Makes me feel better!

We moved into this new house and it has a fenced in backyard and he’s just been going crazy around the house and binkying so much outside; I’ve never seen him more active or happy, so like i said it’s just killing me he can’t do any of the stuff he likes. (And that i like to watch lol)

My bun also struggles with sore hocks and i haven’t brought her to the vet yet because they haven’t started to scab yet but I have been checking on them daily and I want to bring her to the vet as soon as they do start to scab over. I have been putting down cardboard or foam mats under a sheet I am using and it has been mostly staying the same but I have been applying Neosporin every once in a while because I’ve heard That makes it a little better. I also heard F10 ointment makes it better too if you rub that on.

My bun also struggles with sore hocks and i haven’t brought her to the vet yet because they haven’t started to scab yet but I have been checking on them daily and I want to bring her to the vet as soon as they do start to scab over. I have been putting down cardboard or foam mats under a sheet I am using and it has been mostly staying the same but I have been applying Neosporin every once in a while because I’ve heard That makes it a little better. I also heard F10 ointment makes it better too if you rub that on.

Hi raven! Thank you! Yesterday i went out to Joanne fabrics and Walmart (Walmart was cheaper) and got 4 yards of foam padding for $20 bucks. I put that under all the blankets and am thinking it might work a little better or be more comfortable for him.
I was doing some research last night in veterinarian journals and The silver sulfidiazine (spelling?) cream is supposedly the way to go. I was using bag balm too for a little before we brought him to the vet which coated really well. (Just some ideas for you!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep a close eye on it and if you feel like it's getting worse or not improving, just contact your vet and ask about if wrapping the feet would help. Though you will need to get instructions from your vet on doing it because if it's done incorrectly and wrapped too tight, this can cut off the blood supply in the foot and be extremely harmful. Baby socks might be another option that some rabbit owners have used successfully to help with chronic sore hock issues with their rabbits.
MediRabbit (sore hocks in rabbits)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Socks_rabbit.pdf

I would keep a close eye on it and if you feel like it's getting worse or not improving, just contact your vet and ask about if wrapping the feet would help. Though you will need to get instructions from your vet on doing it because if it's done incorrectly and wrapped too tight, this can cut off the blood supply in the foot and be extremely harmful. Baby socks might be another option that some rabbit owners have used successfully to help with chronic sore hock issues with their rabbits.
MediRabbit (sore hocks in rabbits)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Socks_rabbit.pdf

Thank you so much! I just found the medí bun site and have been reading up a storm! Thank you thank you!

Are you still having problems with the probiotic and him having a poopy bum?

No more poopy bum!!!!! a couple weird oddly large poops here and there but NOTHING like the first couple days thank goodness. For the most part we’re back to golden poops.
Thanks for asking. I think i am can stop freaking out about him now, but those first few days were suuuuper weird. And I’m gonna call the vet tomorrow to talk to them about his teeth spurs and see if they’ll take him in sooner than later and can check in his feet around week 2 of treatment. Yesterday i put down foam rolls i got at the craft store too so we’ll see what some time does for him.
Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back