No water? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollolyptic

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ve never posted here before but I’ve always found pet forums to be a fantastic resource for advice.
I just got my first bunny yesterday (13 weeks old) and she is already so wonderful and sweet. At around maybe 4 or 5 yesterday I replaced her first leaky water bottle with a new one that I thought was working. Tonight however around 9 I realized that there was barely any/possibly no water coming out of the bottle. I immediately filled a small bowl with water and she drank from it for a pretty long while.
I feel horrible, and I’m so worried! I know how fragile rabbits can be and I’m so worried about GI issues.... she’s been eating all day and has consumed both hay and pellets. I’m not sure if she got any water at all or not In this time period- I found that when I repeatedly pressed the bottle a small amount of water would come out, but I never saw her press it more than a few times.
How serious is her not having water? Are there certain conditions I should be watching her for?
I do have an exotics vet I could bring her to, but I’m not sure if they’re open because of corona.
And advice from experienced owners would be wonderful. My whole family is already so attached to her it would break my heart if anything happened to her!

Edit: I should add that she is active, alert and still eating and also pooping.

Last edited:
I would be watching that she continues to eat, drink, and poop well. If she does then she's probably fine.

I would suggest sticking with a water dish. Rabbits tend to drink much better from a dish as they don't have to work so hard to get the water out like they do with a bottle. Plus you won't have to worry about water not coming out if you use a dish.

Thank you so much for the fast reply!
As I’m typing she’s tucking into her food, and she’s been very active and bright eyed so I’ll continue to keep an eye on her. Tommorow I’m going to go get her an actual water bowl- I agree I’ll stick with that! I’m so used to pets that can’t be trusted with water dishes (gerbils can’t be trusted with anything really) but she definitely seems to be doing much better with the bowl.

I second the bowl. Make sure it's nice and heavy like ceramic so your rabbit doesn't try to toss it and get water everywhere.

Latest posts

Back