No poop under the cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
My newest doe has not pooped that I cantell!!! She eats hardly any pellets, will eat hay and oats,and drinks lots of water. I don't know about peeing though,as there is grass under the cages...I just haven't seen anypoop. I can see the poop under the other cages...they aregrowing moldy...how can I stop that???

I gave her some papay, which I think she ate...I'm not sure, since shewon't eat out of my hand, I had to leave it in the cage andleave. I don't have any pineapple, and my grocery storedoesn't have any, can't find the dehydrated kind either.

I'm pretty worried...I don't know what else to do. And since she is pretty new, I don't know her very well yet.

Help???

Dawn

I'd check out the treatments I gave in the G.I.Stasis post, Dawn.? It sounds like she might have a block.? If you'renot seeing any poops, she's not able to move her system and will needyour help.

Is she stressed?? How long have you had her?? Has she eaten her pellets before this?

-Carolyn

Fresh Pineapple is key to have. Theacids break the hair down. I'd suggest that you get that andNutriCal first and foremost. Simethicone is also veryimportant for the gases that might be in the hairball if that is whatthe problem is.

Even if I'm wrong about the diagnosis, it won't hurt her to treat her and see if it works. Massage her belly.

You might consult your vet.

-Carolyn

I have the nutrical...how much should I giveher??? She is eating all of her hay and drinking herwater...boy is she drinking water.

I have only had her a week...when she first came, I didn't worry aboutthe pellets too much because of her being in a new environment...butnow she should be eating it. I gave some oats that I have,just a bit and she ate all of those and loves her hay....

Thanks Carolyn

Dawn

I'd give her about an inch of NutriCal, Dawn, tostimulate her appetite and give her immune system a boost. Itcould be that she's still not settled. The NutriCal will alsohelp her keep her nutrients up.

It's a good thing that she's eating her hay and drinking her water. :)

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I gave her an inch of NutriCal...I had to wipe iton her paws for her to eat it :p. The batch of hay that I putin earlier with some oats is completely gone, I gave her more, and willcheck if it is still there or if she needs more. I am goingto the store later and am going to try some pineapple.

I can't really tell if she is distressed...she's acting exactly the same as when I brought her home.

Frustration...

Dawn

Definitely do what you can to get the pineapple.It's got to be fresh as if it's in a can, it loses the enzymes neededto break down the hair.

I understand your frustration and your worry, but the fact that she's eating and drinking something is a good sign.

-Carolyn

P.S. I'd also recommend you have some Simethicone on hand just in caseyou don't see any more stools. The Simethicone helps with gas withintheir system. You only need a small amount for it to be effective.

At a drugstore. It's about $5 and it'sfound in the infants section - for gas in a baby. It comeswith an eyedropper.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
It'sgot to be fresh as if it's in a can, it loses the enzimes needed tobreak down the hair.
Okay, I have a quick question aboutpineapple. What about pineapple that is in plasticpackages? Like in Safeway, they have pre-cut pineapple insealed plastic bags and containers. Would that still notwork? Just a thought.

And anyway, good luck Dawn with thedoe. Umbra wishes her luck too. Weird about theNutri-Cal though. Umbra just ate that stuff up like it wascandy. It smells awful, and I would not like to eat it, buthe just downed it! Weird though, how my rabbit can love it,while yours didn't. Just goes to show that rabbits havedistinct preferrences just like humans do!

--Melissa and Umbra

I've never seen the bags of pineapple, Melissa, so I can't answer your question. Perhaps someone else will know the answer.

I suppose you can check the ingredients to see if it's got anyadditional ingredients other than pineapple. The reason why fresh worksis because it has the enzyme, bromelain, which is the key ingredient inbreaking down the hairballs in the intestinal system.

-Carolyn

One can usually get fresh pineapple at the saladbar, which enables you to buy only a very small quantity, as you needit. If that is not available, some report success by making aa soft paste of water and meat tenderizer, which also breaks down themucus holding the hairball together. The ingredients papain(papaya enzyme) and bromelain (pineapple enzyme) in the meat tenderizerallegedly accomplishes this. One usually feeds the paste witha syringe directly in to the mouth, behind the front teeth and beforethe molars...there's a space there.

Buck

Stickybird-I think it is more the fact that shewon't eat from my hand yet...it's really like she is a wildrabbit...and we are still developing a trust...as long as I move slowlyand don't open her cage, she is fine, but as soon as I open the cage,forget it, she runs into a corner and doesn't move. She willlick the Nutri-Cal off of her feet and benice and clean when I go backto check on her. And you have a Safeway??? Ihaven't seen one of those in forever!!! We used to have themin El Paso where I grew up, but they were bought out and the namechanged...

I went and got some fresh pineapple, never had fresh before and wasslightly confused as to how to cut it, luckily it came withdirections. I gave a piece to her, and when I just checkedmost of it was gone...she doesn't eat in my presence. I putanother piece in there just in case. I also got some romaineand fed some to each of the rabbits...she ate the lettuce.Not all of the rabbits ate the lettuce though. Like I said,they aren't used to fresh greens, so I'm starting them slowly.

I found some papaya enzyme in Walmart...will that work??? Ifshe doesn't eat the pineapple, I will try the papaya, but she iseating, just not her pellets...maybe she doesn't like them...but I'mnot buying another brand just because one rabbit doesn't like it...shewill have to learn. It's too dark to see if there has beenany progress, I will check tomorrow when I water them...oh yeah, and Idid try some of that simethicone...she liked it a lot. So wewill see.

Buck - thanks for the idea of the meat tenderizer...I seem torecall you mentioning it in another post, but didn't remember until youmentioned it in this one...I have meat tenderizer in my pantry:? OH well, at least I have another backup plan if nothingelse works.

Dawn

My husband was amazed that I spent almost $8 for the simethicone and itwas for the rabbit!!!:DHe thinks I am catering to them toomuch since they aren't "pets" like Ella and Bubba, but I told him Iwould still care for them the same way...even if they never become asclose as Ella and Bubba are to me. I told him if she expodedfrom being blocked up, he would have to clean up themess...:pHe didn't think it was too funny.

You're so lucky she'll eat the pineapple! Yay! That's Great, Dawn!

You're doing all the right things and she's gobbling it up without aproblem. It was key to get the simethicone too. Gas is usually anissue. *High Five* on the pineapple. Hope you had a piece. Freshpineapple is good for us too. :)

These exotic animals teach us about things we never thought possible.

Sorry I was off on the price of the simethicone. I took the tag off; $8 does sound closer to what it would be.

C'moonnnnn Cocoa Puffs!

-Carolyn

P.S. One papaya tablet every 8 hours is what the vet told me. Ifollowed that advice. The papain in the papaya as mentioned above isgood for a breakdown as well. The tablets are more effective than thedried papaya.

OH Carolyn, you make me smile and laugh!!! Thank you!!!

I'll let you knowtomorrow...

I was shocked at the price...no wonder I've never bought the stuff formy kids!!! Go figure...I'll spend it on the rabbits but notthekids!!! Only because I know more natural ways to get my kids to pass gas, thatand it comes naturally on their father'sside!! speakingof which my dog needs no help tonight apparently!! peeeeyoooo!!!

Anyone want pups???? I think she found another boyfriend and gotknocked up!!! Darn dog...:? She's gettin fixed after this!!!

My thinking is to give her more NutriCal in the morning. 1/2 inch or so should do.

Do let us know how things are tomorrow, Dawn. I'm sure you've cleaned out the area so that you'll know if poop happens tonight.

-Carolyn

Yesterday she had nothing but grass under her cage, and now there is a small pile of cocoa puffs!!! WooHOo!!!

Of course she still hasn't eaten any pellets!!! I guess she is going to be a hay eater...

She did get more nutrical today...

So yippee it worked!!!

Thanks all!!!

Dawn

WOOOOT Dawn thats great :)

In answer to your fresh pre-cut (scanned for anyone else who may ofanswered it and did not see it) bagged pineapple q~I have found that adeli (such as the one in Safeway, or Save-On-Foods) is simplypineapple. Nothing has been added or taken away from it, so all thegood fibre breaking down enzymes are still 'intact'

Cher

Thanks Cher, I will have to see if our HEB hasanything like that...It would be so much better than buying a wholepineapple...I didn't even know how to pick out a good pineapple...Ichose the one without mold on it!!!:shock: Thank goodness itwas good..I had a bite or two myself :p.

Dawn

I'd continue the treatments for at least the rest of today and possiblytomorrow, at least until she's eating, drinking, and pooping on herown. She's not out of the woods. It takes weeks to fully recovery fromG.I. Stasis, but it does sound like the treatment is working.

:)

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back