no babies :( mom wont eat. help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitsu4tail

Reaction score
I have a Californian/REW female named Crown who was due to have babies July 31 and she hasn't had them (its now the first) yesterday and today she hasn't bin acting right, she sits/lays oddly. i think its because she is so full of babies she trys to lay with her feet under her to keep pressure off.
she is an aggressive rabbit and has bitten me once and normaly attacks if you touch anywhere but her head and she has stopped suddenly and wont move for anything! i have seen her in different parts of the cage but i never see her move i even poked her butt and she didn't care, normally she would take a finger for that!
my biggest worry is that i don't think she is eating. . . she usually eats two bowls of food and fresh greens everyday, i fed her last Sunday and her bowls have yet to be emptied. i even tried rubbing a leaf on her nose to bug her till she eats it but she only moves her head away. i herd that rabbits cant resist oats and sunflower seeds so i put that in a bowl for her but she hasn't touch them, not surprising though because she hasn't bin eating her grapes and has never bin offered oats or seeds be for.
and she also made a nest over a week before she was due but now has yet to remake it (i gave her more straw all her fur blew away)

i never had problems with breeding her mom, she was the type that was true to the saying "breeds like a rabbit" never had problems even the first time. but she was always breed to a REW, Crown went on a date with a black half Flemish giant (i don't know what the other half was but he was longer than her but thinner and less than 5lb heavier)

we don't have money to take her to a vet even if i knew a vet that would even look at a rabbit so if this is something that cant be fixed at home she will be put down. (at home, we dont even have money to put her down at a vet if need be)

any info is highly appreciated!!!! :shock:

Does will often stop eating when they are a few hours away from giving birth. You might also notice her breathing speed up a little and she may look uncomfortable and might start going crazy nest building if she is close to giving birth. If she hasn't eaten in six hours, though, I'd start to get worried.

Give her some of her favourite treats (small amount of banana, apple, fresh grass etc.) and see if she will eat it. If she still refuses food after 12 hours, it is time for the vet because something isn't right. Rabbits need to eat after 12 hours or their systems start shutting down.

kitsu4tail wrote:
I have a Californian/REW female named Crown who was due to have babies July 31 and she hasn't had them (its now the first) yesterday and today she hasn't bin acting right, she sits/lays oddly. i think its because she is so full of babies she trys to lay with her feet under her to keep pressure off.
she is an aggressive rabbit and has bitten me once and normaly attacks if you touch anywhere but her head and she has stopped suddenly and wont move for anything! i have seen her in different parts of the cage but i never see her move i even poked her butt and she didn't care, normally she would take a finger for that!
my biggest worry is that i don't think she is eating. . . she usually eats two bowls of food and fresh greens everyday, i fed her last Sunday and her bowls have yet to be emptied. i even tried rubbing a leaf on her nose to bug her till she eats it but she only moves her head away. i herd that rabbits cant resist oats and sunflower seeds so i put that in a bowl for her but she hasn't touch them, not surprising though because she hasn't bin eating her grapes and has never bin offered oats or seeds be for.
and she also made a nest over a week before she was due but now has yet to remake it (i gave her more straw all her fur blew away)

i never had problems with breeding her mom, she was the type that was true to the saying "breeds like a rabbit" never had problems even the first time. but she was always breed to a REW, Crown went on a date with a black half Flemish giant (i don't know what the other half was but he was longer than her but thinner and less than 5lb heavier)

we don't have money to take her to a vet even if i knew a vet that would even look at a rabbit so if this is something that cant be fixed at home she will be put down. (at home, we dont even have money to put her down at a vet if need be)

any info is highly appreciated!!!! :shock:

Ok i finally got around to updating, so crown did have problems passing. i found a wee bit of brown stuff in her cage and flys were around so i think she ate them. and she did slowly recover. she was keen to the raspberry vines and she now, the passed few days anyway, is eating two cups food a day,

amber showed no problems but also had no babies :grumpy: i think that was just first mommy syndrome, she had built a nest twice but i found nothing:( today and a few days ago shes bin going crazy running in circles in her cage and today she bit me :shock: not hard but she has always bin so sweet! is she in heat now? i know after a birth or miscarriage humans are more fertile is it the same for bunnies? next time around id like to follow my almanac for breeding dates before winter, my rabbits are outside and iv never had luck breeding when the days are shorter so that means the 22nd and 23rd of this month is the best and the 18th and 19th of next unfortunately i have no adult male and im busy thos days so im going to try the weekends near thos days.
so. . . . anyone within 20miles of Lebanon ohio with a male chestnut Rex :biggrin:? ill give you 10-20 dollars depending on the male and my wallet to stud him out. i can meet you or you can meet me for the bunnies date. :wink

Sorry to hear about no luck with babies.
My rabbit got her buns undeground in the tunnel she digged. We didn't know she got them until buns' 3-4 weeks old.
She was playing with that tunnel and false-nesting since May so we stopped being alerted as it always looked like false pregs. She got them at the late July.

Latest posts

Back