Nikolai going on humping crazes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbunnies

Reaction score
Nikolai (neutered), will occasionally go into these crazes of humping Mischa. The problem is that Mischa may get fed up with it and bite. Every time I see him doing this I push him off gently. Mischa is also spayed. He will not stop until I continuously push him off. Should I start using a spray bottle with water?

Here's the thing with humping. And I had to learn this too :) as it was hard for me to watch Agnes just sit there and take it! Lol

But it's a dominance thing that they have to work out themselves. If you intervene, you could actually be hindering their bond and delaying this getting over with. Nikolai could actually build more resentment about it because he can't get it out of his system.

Now, with that being said you still do need to watch for subtle signs that your female is getting upset. Because even though I just said to let it go, you still don't want a fight and want to stop it should it appear to possibly escalate to that.

So I kept a close eye on Agnes but pretty much let them go. I will say that if he was being relentless and going for longer than a minute or two, I would gently break them up kinda almost coaxing him to stop, but that only happened a couple times. It took about a week and the humping stopped all together.

I saw Mischa almost mount Nikolai but she stopped. I really hope this doesn't become an issue with their bond. That would be really sad... they are so good together so far.

Yes, keep a close watch on them. When both rabbits try to hump each other that is a recipe for a fight to break out, FYI.

I hope it's not either. I fear my two fighting too because it's just devastating when they don't get along.

Were there any signs, even small ones, that they have been trying to still sort out a dominance thing?

How long ago was he neutered? Might he still have some of the hormone left?

Maybe if he had a stuffed animal he'd transfer some of the humping to it. Sounds like worth trying.

Agnes -- other than the humping, no. Although, Mischa will lay down underneath him (meatloaf style with her head underneath his neck) when he is next to her or grooming her. But that's it. And Orlena, I've tried tossing them a stuffed animal but they just sniff it.

sugarbunnies wrote:
Agnes -- other than the humping, no. Although, Mischa will lay down underneath him (meatloaf style with her head underneath his neck) when he is next to her or grooming her. But that's it. And Orlena, I've tried tossing them a stuffed animal but they just sniff it.

She could be "presenting". Meaning she is requesting HIM to groom her. I can't remember, has he ever done any grooming?

From the countless number of articles I've read on bonding, grooming can be a touchy subject with buns. If she is pushing him to groom too much, but he feels too dominant to do so, that could be what is increasing his need to assert his dominance through humping.

Have you tried the applesauce on the forehead thing? It could encourage some back and forth grooming....

sooooooo, what if the female is humping the male.....all the time.....and they're both neutured?

jap08m wrote:
sooooooo, what if the female is humping the male.....all the time.....and they're both neutured?

It's still a dominance thing and quite common for either sex to hump. They need to work out who is top bun, just keep a close eye out for the humpee getting angry and retaliating to start a fight.

sugarbunnies wrote:
Update: Just saw Mischa humping the crap out of Nikolai. He took it for a bit and ran off. Oh please, please, do not ruin this bond...

Sounds like they still have alot to work out. They both are vying for top bun. Again, broken record here, but watch them closely. You want to do all you can to prevent a fight but at the same time let them work it out.

Latest posts

Back