Nice-looking indoor rabbit cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheditor

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here and would love your opinions on really nice-looking bunny cages. I just moved my bunny into the bottom level of a double Critter Nation cage. I absolutely love the way Critter Nation looks--the powder-coated steel, etc.--but it isn't working well as a bunny cage because the pan is too shallow, and he's strewing bedding everywhere. He also doesn't have as much room as I'd like him to have. I do not mind buying him a fancy cage of his own, but I don't want one with plastic or wire, as I want it to look as nice as possible in my house. The Critter Nation looks more like furniture, but it simply isn't an ideal bunny cage. Do any of you have suggestions for cages that provide for a bunny's needs and yet still look more like furniture in your house?

Best,
Deanna

I have the new Super Pet Giant cages. I really like them...they look nice and are large (47"x24"). They are still cage-y looking, though :p.

You might want to check out making your own cage if you want it to look like furniature. I'm not sure what cages there are out there that don't look like, well....a cage.

you can buy dog crates that are made out of nice wood. The thing is, rabbits chew wood, so you would have to make sure yours left it alone.

Also, I noticed that dog crates are a lot darker inside than a pet cage. I'm not sure if it would be too dark for them.

I think you will have more luck looking for nice dog crates than nice rabbit cages.

Thank you all. Those are nice. They just aren't quite what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll end up having a deeper pan custom made for the Critter Nation at a sheet-metal shop or something.

dheditor wrote:
Thank you all. Those are nice. They just aren't quite what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll end up having a deeper pan custom made for the Critter Nation at a sheet-metal shop or something.
I wouldn't house rabbits in the Critter Nation, as it just isn't a rabbit cage (I've had one and wouldn't put a rabbit in one).....its more meant for pet rats as the pet rat community pushed for Midwest to produce one after housing rats in Ferret Nations for so long. The CN just isn't set up for rabbits in mind.

Yeah, I know. It definitely isn't ideal, for him or us, even though the CN has as much floor space as many of the rabbit cages. We're about to put our house on the market, though, and have to have everything looking as nice and uncluttered as possible. I just wish I could find a handsomer rabbit cage! It seems some manufacturer is really missing out on a market here....

I have seen a couple of pictures of people converting a nice piece of furniture into a cage. Like a sideboard or a credenza, so it looks exactly like a piece of furniture but it has a bunny inside.

Here is a picture that I found on the internet when looking for some ideas a little while ago. I do not remember where I got this picture from, so unfortunately I cannot give credit to the person who made this cage. But I love this cage and I am going to have my Uncle custom build me some cages that look somewhat like this in the future.

Click to see bigger image.

I believe this a converted piece of furniture and that the cage is in a dedicated bunny room.

-Dawn

Wow, I really like that, Dawn. Thank you. It looks like it might be a pain to clean, but it really is handsome and roomy. Maybe I'll see if my husband can do something like that....

When I have my Uncle build me something, I am planning on lining it with linoleum. My current cages have linoleum lined bottoms with edges covered by metal stripping to prevent the buns from pulling it up. I have mine glued down firmly, so the buns can't pull it up. This makes cleaning a breeze. I just use a hand brush to sweep up any stray poops and mist with 50/50 vinegar/water mix and wipe up.

As long as you make sure the door is big enough for you to reach to all corners, cleaning shouldn't be that bad. Having a lino covered floor would also be great for litter training, which makes clean up even easier.

-Dawn

Wow! That IS an awesome cage!I'm getting all kinds ofgreatideas just looking at it! (Oh, Gus! I think you're getting a new cage when we move! :biggrin2:)

Rather than building from scratch, I'd start checking out thrift shops, used furniturestoresandCraigslist for a buffet or credenza with the right dimensions. If you could find one with three doors, instead of one, that wouldalso make cleaning (and catching bunny if necessary...;)) a lot easier.

And definitely line the shelves with lino. I used lino sticky tilesbecause they're cheap and easy to work with and clean up just about as well as the sheet lino does. Like Dawn said, all you need is a handbroom or Dustbuster toclean up the stray poops and hay and then asquirt of vinegar-water and a wipe down and the cage is sparkling clean again!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Dawn....awesome find! I wish I could have a piece of furniature to turn into a cage now. I can't believe I didn't think of that, as people do it with rats all the time....they call it "grotto style".

Yeah, I spent a long time one day googling to try and find some nice examples of pretty rabbit cages. I liked that one the best.

I did find another website that had instructions for converting an Ikea (I think) piece into a nice cage. They tiled the bottom of theirs.

I am very lucky that my Uncle does working as a hobby. I am just waiting to see if I can manage to bond Baxter and Sugar, as then I would only need two cages and it would change what I wanted. But, I am going to get my Uncle to build me some custom pieces to exactly the sizes and styles that I want and have them completely lined with linoleum on the inside.

I definitely think that by scouring the second hand stores or antique shops, you could find a lovely piece of furniture to convert into a cage. Then you could have it right in the living room, and people would just think it was a nice credenza or side-board at first glance.

-Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I definitely think that by scouring the second hand stores or antique shops, you could find a lovely piece of furniture to convert into a cage. Then you could have it right in the living room, and people would just think it was a nice credenza or side-board at first glance.

-Dawn
That is a good idea! From now on I am going to search for something for a good price to turn into a rabbit cage. It might take a while, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

My husband is mad at me because we JUST bought the new Super Pet Giant (47"x24") because we needed more floor space in our new bunny room (we stacked them) and NIC cages were just too bulky and wouldn't look good/feel like we had more space. Now I want to either find a furniture piece at the thrift stores or we can build one together with my dad's help.

I just found this last night, and I really like it. It reminds me of the Leith Petwerks condo's (but wouldn't cost you $300 to make!).....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/korimatiessa/3732566651/
(picture copyright to korimatiessa on flickr)

Still a cage, but I think it looks really nice...you can even get pet/kid safe paint to make it match your decor and/or add a decorative wood border. You can use NIC panels as the fencing, if you have them already.

Yes, that does look like it would work quite nicely.

If possible, try to get a door opening on the front as well as the lid lifting. Gives bunny easy access to jump in and out of the cage on their own.

-Dawn

Maybe you could add a drop down ramp like this?

url

(I am SO building Gus one of these when we move! :biggrin2:)

Rue

This is an amazing thread! When I move out of my parents' house, I would love to do something like this. I feel like I am never satisfied with housing so I'm always changing the NIC cages I have.

Back