NIC shelf help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magick_mogwai

Reaction score
So I'm half way through constructing my first NIC condo for Gandalf. I had a plan but now seeing how big the condo is I thought it would be nice to make more shelf space by adding and L shaped shelf along the back and one side. Problem is I don't know how to support a shelf that shape. My other shelf will be supported by a wooden dowel attached to the bottom resting on the cage either side but this would only work for one side of the L shape leaving one square unsupported on 2 sides. Any ideas?

The cage is 3x2x2 squares with a shelf 1x2 squares along one short edge.

Also do I need to add anything to support the roof if I want to put anything on it? I'm concerned my cats will try to climb on it and fall through too - would it be strong enough to support anything without support?

You could use dowels diagonally to support the L shaped shelf. For the roof, use a zip tie on each square. You'd be surprised how strong that can be, but I'm not sure about making it rigid.

I would use a dowel for the part that goes from end to end of the cage. For the single part, an L shelf support bracket will work. Just zip tie it in place and it should be fine.
Something like this has a low profile, but offers lots of support.
Z

A NIC grid unsupported on two sides doesn't technically need any support - with two zipties on each connection, it should be strong enough for even large rabbits (4'' zipties are rated for up to 18 lbs of weight each)... it may bend down a bit with very large bunns (I just tried and was able to push the one in my condo down a few inches if I pressed on it hard) but I've had a bunn up to 6 lbs on mine without *any* bending/flexing on the least supported corner. Picture of what I'm talking about:

2a6jevs.jpg

(between the first and second floors is a 1 grid "step" that's only secured on two sides)

Failing that, you could cut a dowel so that it's long enough to go from just past the edge of the condo to where the lengthwise dowel is (ie perpendicular to the lengthwise dowel).

Thanks everyone! My cat decided she wanted to jump in while I was building so I think the shelves will need to support her weight (all 6kg!) so I need to get some more dowel I think before I add the extra NIC to make the L shape just so she doesn't bend anything badly. She jumped in there earlier when I had Gandalf out too and it was hilarious - he ran over and stared at her, then nudged her until she streaked past him. He'd is a right bully lol

Back