NIC Condo in the making!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy-Hazel

Reaction score
This is the almost complete palace for my bunnies!

DSCF1879.jpg

The fur is just there I could see how it looks. We're getting some left over laminate wood flooring cut to size, then I'm going to get some nice chocolate coloured fur to used for the levels. That way the cage will match my bedroom colours :D
There's no door on it since the buns have full run of our bedroom. I bought a cheap area rug that I don't mind them digging a little, to put on the floor in front of the cage. I suppose if I ever needed to keep them in the cage I could just stick the folded up outdoor run in front of it.

A good way to make a door is to use another grid panel.
Make hinges with zipties, and get a binder clip, or a carabiner/keychain/dog leash clip to hold the door shut when you need the buns inside.

How do you plan to clean the cage? Sometimes a number of doors are helpful :)

Looking good!

Well the biggest reason there's no door is that I ran out of panel and I don't feel like shelling out another $20+ just for two panels. As for cleaning, my buns are litter trained, so other than territorial poops, I shouldn't have to wash the thing too too often. When I do wash the fur, I'll just take it off and toss it in the washing machine. Thers is a opening at the top as well.

Honestly once you start building stuff with NIC panels you find all kinds of great uses for them, like bunny proofing other parts of your home and whatnot. I bought a 6-cube set for $20 and thought I'd only use a couple, but ended up with fences and walls and tying them to baby gates... they are very useful in a bunny home.

i'm getting come NIC panels in a few and i'm curious if my bun would be able to get out of there... i know i cant leave the top open, but i'm curious if he would attempt it of i left a middle section open...

Well unless you get the custom made, the chances of you finding the exact length is pretty slim. I'm in an apartment too, all you really need is a hacksaw.

I found wooden dowels at the dollar store meant for crafts and they were exactly the length needed for a panel to use as supports.

So the palace isn't 100% complete, but it's good enough that I let them in. Here's a look!
DSCF2129.jpg

The ugly orange fur is temporary until I can find a nice chocolate brown fur. The little mites wont chew fur, fake or real so it's perfect! Under the the fur is hardwood click lock flooring.
We had a mishap with the floor for the observatory so that will have to wait.
DSCF2130.jpg

Here they are in the den. The don't sit down there often, since theres nothing to do. Any suggestions on what to do with the den?
DSCF2123.jpg

The palace doesn't have a door, so they can constantly access the yard. I had to nail an old litter box to the wall to keep the little ones from eating the AC cord.

It looks great! Just add toys!

Cardboard boxes, soda can boxes (like you have), phone books they can rip up, would be great in that area.

Or you can buy cottontail cottages or maze havens, I love mine!

Home Deopot sell cardboard tube (concrete tubes) for $7 for a huuuuge one that my rabbits love to run in and out of.

You can also buy dog/cat "runs" or play tubes for pretty cheap (My rabbits also lvoe those)

ps..I throw all my rabbits my junk mail as well! Sometimes they prefer regular copy paper to cardboard and other chews!

Latest posts

Back