NIC Cages:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. Im thinking about building Mr. Tumnus an NIC cage. Just wondering if they are any more difficult to clean out. How do you get in there to clean the floorin case of spills or accidents? Right now he has a cage with a wire bottom floor (protected with grass mats and the like) and any litter falls through to a pan that I am able to slide out.

Im just wondering if they aredifficult to get into and clean...do you take them apart when you clean them or have something on the floor that slides out?

Thanks for your input!

-Haley

I'm working out the same details on our new bunnie room.

All 8 of my buns have their own cages, wire-bottom w/ drop pans. All 8 are also litter trained.

I wanted to construct all new homes using NICs, but wasn't sure about how to keep it all clean. Or how to get in to pellet, hay, and water the little critters.

I've pretty much decided to keep the old cages and construct NIC addtions. The NIC areas will be large enough to allow me to take out the drop pans. I'm going to hinge cetain panels to allow me easy access without having to vault over. Two NIC panels high is just a liiiiitle bit too high for me to step over (no short jokes please).

The new setup will more than double the living area for each bun. It will also put them all on the same level so they can see each other. We have two level right now and I don't think that some of the buns have seen all of the buns (does that make sense?). There will be less of a barrier between certain buns to see if bonding might be an option. AND they will have a large run that each bun will be able to access directly from their living quarters...individually on a one by one basis.

I don't have a NIC cage but I know how mine will be built when I do get inside rabbits.

I plan to build a wood base that is about 3" off the ground and place wire in them iddle and build the NIC cage on top of it. That way it's like having a wire bottomed cage and the 3" off the ground allows you to place a litter pan under it. You can have one made of you can just make it out of coroplast. You could even make the base larger than the cage to allow for an oversized pan. I'd suggest putting pieces of coroplast about 3" up the sides to keep some of the mess in.

I don't know how wlel this would work sinc eI've never done it but it sounds like a good idea to me!

I plan to make my nic (more like a pen) cage with open top so I'll be able to sit in there with Pebbles, and be able to play with her in the cage. I'm just getting my dad to make a base with sides around with wood, and I'll cut the coroplast so it will be able to fit snuggly in the base of the wood. I'll either put the cage frame on the outside of the base, or inside. So far (My dad works often, so he's been too tired to help me build it, but maybe next weekend!) it's going to be 3x4 and 2 high witha shelf on the side. With it being open (I love nice big open cages) my design will be fairly easy to clean because I can just go in and take the piece of coroplast out, hose it off ect. and have enoguh room for a few literboxes.

Our bunnies' NIC cages have linoleum-tile-covered pegboard (which is also zip-tied to the bottom panels in the cage) as the bottom floor (which we cover with straw mats for some sort of traction), and it sweeps out quite easily. We also use the pegboard, rough side up, for a floor covering on the additional levels of the bunny cages, and they are quite easy to sweep. :)

Pegboard is quite cheap, and you can find linoleum peel and stick tiles for quite inexpensive as well. :)

We love it! :D

I've got my buns in NIC cages, and I find them very easy to clean.

The first one I made, I put the coroplast on the outside in case Wildfire chewed it, but that makes it hard to get all the stray poos and hay out. And if she has an accident, I have to lift the whole top out of the base to clean it up.

But the one I've got my fosters in is great. I put the coroplast on the inside and it's very easy to clean.

My cleaning procedure is to take out the litter boxes, take out the matts and blankies, then use a dust pan and hand broom to sweep up all the other stuff. After it's been swept, I use a vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle, and lightly mist down the bottom and wipe clean. I then replace all the matts, blankies and litter boxes.

Just make sure that when you make a NIC condo, that you make the door big enough for you to stick your upper body into so you can reach all the corners easily.

Here's a picture of Wildfire's cage with the coroplast on the outside:

And the foster's cage:

Pictures are clickable to get a close up.

--Dawn

Your cleaning procedure is exactly like the one I do with my buns' cages, except that I will now be adding the vinegar/water mixture spraying to the mix. I recently heard about it, and my husband and I witnessed how awesomely it cleaned out the kitties' litterbox last night, so that's going to be a regular part of the cleaning routine now! :)

The handbroom I use to clean their cage is the same one Maisie ate a chunk of (and subsequently got gas from)...lol! She chases it around and nips at it while I'm cleaning her cage...so much so that I do the top of the cage first, and hurriedly so that maybe I can get it done before she notices and races up to chase it around, and then I do the bottom while she's upstairs trying to figure out where all her little hay shreddies went! Hehe...gotta trick that stinky little bunny!! She really hates things while I'm cleaning it, but boy is she calmer when her cage is newly-cleaned! Poor confused little hormonal bunny! I love her so much!
:inlove:

aurora369 wrote:
My cleaning procedure is to take out the litter boxes, take out the matts and blankies, then use a dust pan and hand broom to sweep up all the other stuff. After it's been swept, I use a vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle, and lightly mist down the bottom and wipe clean. I then replace all the matts, blankies and litter boxes.

my nic cages are extremely easy to clean. they are big with open tops. i just get in there and sweep! i can set down in there and be with my bunnies too.

maherwoman wrote:
The handbroom I use to clean their cage is the same one Maisie ate a chunk of (and subsequently got gas from)...lol! She chases it around and nips at it while I'm cleaning her cage...so much so that I do the top of the cage first, and hurriedly so that maybe I can get it done before she notices and races up to chase it around, and then I do the bottom while she's upstairs trying to figure out where all her little hay shreddies went! Hehe...gotta trick that stinky little bunny!! She really hates things while I'm cleaning it, but boy is she calmer when her cage is newly-cleaned! Poor confused little hormonal bunny! I love her so much!

Tootsie enjoys it when I sweep out her pen. She even helps....unfortunately it's by sitting right in front of the broom. It's not easy sweeping a 10 lb bunnie out of the way.

JimD wrote:
Tootsie enjoys it when I sweep out her pen. She even helps....unfortunately it's by sitting right in front of the broom. It's not easy sweeping a 10 lb bunnie out of the way.
I have that same problem when I try to rake out the rabbit run or when I try to use the hand broom on the hutch while they are in it. :disgust:

Wildfire is okay, because I normally clean her cage when she's getting her run around time.

But the babies!! The get into every thing. I set the pen up in hopes they'll run around and ignore me, but that never happens. They have to try to eat the paper towell, sit in front of the broom, and just get in the way of every thing. And since there are five of them, they tag team it, I push one out of the cage just to have another one sneak in while I wasn't looking.

But it still only takes me about 15 minutes to clean up.

--Dawn

Thanks for the tips guys! Im still unsure which exact condo setup to use, but I have a few in mind. I am making one for Mr. Tumnus soon, because the cage he is in now doesnt have a second level and he loooves to climb...and then later if I can bond him with Basil and Max I will just expand it and make one huge one.

Thanks again for the help! I'll keep you posted on which scondo setup I end up choosing!

-Haley

I love my NIC condos. I use Coroplast, too. Ifthe rabbitsdon't get hay everywhere, I can usually just use the hand-vac to get the stray poopies and haycrumbs up.

On my three-level condo, I have a front door on each level and one on the top. I can reach every corner.

I know half of what you mean, haha...Maisie's about 5lbs and full-grown...not that her large personality makes it any easier. I have to wear a thick glove because sometimes she misses in biting the hard plastic of the broom and gets my hand instead. Lol...Stinky Bunny! :heartbeat:

Oh, another thing...when I sweep with the regular broom around their cages, I can see Maisie's little gray muzzle sticking out in anger, trying to bite the broom, the whole time! She follows it all the way around her cage, too...it's so cute! :D

JimD wrote:
maherwoman wrote:

LOL!! I know a bit of what you mean...I always set up their pen outside their cage when I open it to clean up. The funny thing is if I don't set up the pen, they're out and about...whereas when I DO set up the pen, they're in the cage the whole time, hassling me and the broom! Funny bunnies!!:bunnydance::bunnydance:

aurora369 wrote:
Wildfire is okay, because I normally clean her cage when she's getting her run around time.

But the babies!! The get into every thing. I set the pen up in hopes they'll run around and ignore me, but that never happens. They have to try to eat the paper towell, sit in front of the broom, and just get in the way of every thing. And since there are five of them, they tag team it, I push one out of the cage just to have another one sneak in while I wasn't looking.

But it still only takes me about 15 minutes to clean up.

--Dawn

My bunnies cage is very easy to clean. This picture isn't of their cage, but we used this exact same set-up and design:
cage.jpg

The only differences being that we used different colours of choloroplast, we had much sturdier, wider ramps and the bottom center square isn't there. (our bunnies house doesn't have a door, because they have their own room). We also used dark blue chloroplast for the middle floor, which makes the entire middle floor very dark, which the bunnies love. :) It's their little 'safe' hidey zone.

At first, we put their litterboxes in the back corners, but they peed everywhere but in the litterboxes! So we gave up, and now the entire bottom floor is covered in litter, and I scoop soiled litter out every 2 days.
The entire structure is very light, and given the fact that we put cable ties *everywhere*, it's also very sturdy. To clean the cage, I pull it away from the wall, tip it back, slide the bottom tray out and use a dustpan to scoop away all of the soiled litter. Every monday, the entire thing is washed, disinfected and the litter replaced.

It's actually FAR easier to clean than their old cages, simply because the bottom tray slides out so easily.

Ooh. I like that one Dittani! ^^^^

I dont think those ramps would be wide/sturdy enough for my boys though. Im still looking at a bunch of different designs. I havent bought anything yet. I thinkI will go to target this weekend and buy the NICcubes and just mess around with them. We have a home depot and lots of other stores close by so I can just run out and get things.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you all posted!

-Haley and the boys

PS. Dawn (aurora), if you read this, do I remember you saying you used the condo set up from that Michigan Rabbit rescue website? I cant remember if that was you, but I liked that one!

I love this cage! Wow! The way the coroplast is is wonderful! Tonight, I'm going to take measurements of my buns cage and go down to the craft store and get the coroplast needed to make this wonderful cage!

Dittani wrote:
My bunnies cage is very easy to clean. This picture isn't of their cage, but we used this exact same set-up and design:
cage.jpg

The only differences being that we used different colours of choloroplast, we had much sturdier, wider ramps and the bottom center square isn't there. (our bunnies house doesn't have a door, because they have their own room). We also used dark blue chloroplast for the middle floor, which makes the entire middle floor very dark, which the bunnies love. :) It's their little 'safe' hidey zone.

At first, we put their litterboxes in the back corners, but they peed everywhere but in the litterboxes! So we gave up, and now the entire bottom floor is covered in litter, and I scoop soiled litter out every 2 days.
The entire structure is very light, and given the fact that we put cable ties *everywhere*, it's also very sturdy. To clean the cage, I pull it away from the wall, tip it back, slide the bottom tray out and use a dustpan to scoop away all of the soiled litter. Every monday, the entire thing is washed, disinfected and the litter replaced.

It's actually FAR easier to clean than their old cages, simply because the bottom tray slides out so easily.

Hmm...this was the design I was talking about :

condo.gif

They use the dowel rods for support and I remember someone saying that this was great....cant remember who though :) Anyone use this??

Dawn, I looove your 2 x 4 cage. Its so roomy and open. I think I might do that (if my boyfriend will let me take up that much room in the living room..we'll see :)) Do you have the entire back panel lined with a second level? Do your buns not jump out the open area in the front, or do you usually have a door there? I know Mr. Tumnus would be out in a flash! (but hes a lot bigger than your fosters). Thanks for the tips! Im saving those pictures!

-Haley

Latest posts

Back