NIC Cage Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone here has built a NIC cage with a 2nd level and their bunny never used it. Did you do anything to try to get them interested in the second level? If so what did you do?

I built the cage about 2 weeks ago thinking Little Bunny would love the second level. She loves to be on the second or third floor of her cottontail cottage. But she doesn't seem to like the 2nd level of the nic cage. I put cardboard on it then carpet so it is comfy.

If she isn't going to use it I will take it off and put another cottontail cottage in that corner. But I wondered if anyone else had this happen and did something to get their bun to use it. She has gotten up there a few times so I know she can get up there. I know she likes to be hidden so I have put cardboard around the NIC panels to give her her privacy. Any other ideas to get her to realize it is a fun place to relax? Or maybe she is just trying to tell me she just doesn't like it and the 2nd floor needs to go lol.

Can you find us a pic, Amy?

I remember that Evie wasn't buying into the whole "2 levels" thing for a while either...
I think she got over it when she was with Stuart full time... Perhaps it is the wrong shape for her? How much room is on the second floor?

I guess you could always be sneaky and put water bottle on the main floor, and hay or pellets on the top floor :) Treats are good bribes too...

What is the bottom of the NIC cage made of? If its too slippery in their minds, I've noticed that they are more reluctant to jump up (recognizing that jumping down is no fun, I guess?)

I'm also guessing that Little Bunny (Squee! I love her name... I mentally pronounce it "Leetle Bunnie!") has her name for a reason... is she fairly small? It could be that she would prefer a ramp, rather than jumping up.

Could also be that she needs a bit more space to jump up... a bit more of a short trot and jump, rather than from standing?

Pics would help :)

My little Netherland Dwarf won't jump up to the second level unless I put a stool on the first level for him. I have a little Rubbermaid shelf that is about 8" high. I've also used awooden hidey boxor a shoe box. That's the only way he jumps down too (first to the stool then to the floor).

CMh how did you get storm over there LOL:p

I will try to see if I can get a picture of it. The second level is 3 nic panels across. The bottom of the cage is my carpet.

I am glad you like the Little Bunny's name though she isn't very little anymore she is about 5lbs. When I got her she weighed 1lb even. She was so small especially next to 7lb Chase.

I wondered if she needed more space to jump also. The whole nic cage is 6 panels by 3 panels. But she has some boxes and stuff in there so it would make it harder to get a running start. I will try to get something to put in front that would make it easier for her to get up there. Stool sounds great, I will have to see what I have around the house.

Amy, I skimmed this thread, but what kind of bun? We have a Holland Lop, nice size bun, shorter legs. So, we bilt his NIC with a shallow level, just below the second. We were afraid he'd get hurt or just couldn't quite make it up. HaHAHA! Joke! His butt will scare the crap outta Daddy one day. He actually jumped off the "door" of his NIC to the upstairs!!:shock: I only saw one day when he did bounce off the door!:shock: I can't imagine him jumping off the door and upstairs, or more recently, just upstairs!:shock::shock::rollseyesSilly boy!

So, don't be too worried. I know how it is though, we worry all the time about Snuff, especially since the tiles we put on his second level have shifted, leaving more space in the back end. Need to change those soon.;) I think you're doing well with him though:D.

I can send you a pic of what I mean about a "lower level". It actually is great for a new bun to a big cage too.:) (It's also in my old blog, I'll get the link and put it here for ya.;)EDIT-found it, posting it below.) See the diamond shape tile? That's the baby 1st level for him. Then, you see a two tile upper level. (We supported the underneath with L brackets.)

And, yes, he's getting a Craisen from Daddy here, haha.:D

DSCN1541.jpg

Latest posts

Back