NIC cage and flooring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katt

Reaction score
so herman lost his cage on sunday! we brought in a puppy that really needed a good home and as he was in our dog kennel. . .well. . .so untill yesterday night (i was out of town at orientation for college) he was in a small breeds dog kennel. . .not a happy camper. . .so i stopped in at target yesterday and picked up 3 boxes of NIC cubes. . .

i built him a cage, but don't know what to put down. . .currently it is some clear, thick vinyl. . .i had a whole mess of it. . .so i put that on the flooring and on the level to keep his feet from slipping though. . .

well, that worked great, but this morning, there i 1 corner that herman ripped up, not alot, but enough that i would now have to replace the bottom sheet.

i need ideas, i am having trouble finding coroplaste. . .and the linolium(sp?) that i wanted to get is so expensive (it was around $40 on sale for a 4 x 10 foot roll).

i was wondering if there is anything anyone else uses?

Not sure what I could suggest...sometimes carpet/flooring places have remnants of linoleumthat sell very cheap; or even some remnant indoor/outdoor carpeting. Another avenue to explore if cost is an issue could be the Freecycle sites. If you have a Freecycle in your area, you could post and ask if anyone has any linoleum (or whatever you decide to use) that they are planning on getting rid of. If you're not familiar with Freecycle, it is a site set up for people to advertise household things they no longer want, but don't want to throw them away. Everything is always free, and in most cases it is up to the person who is taking the item to be responsible for picking it up. Last year I just missed out on an enormous amount of carpeting that someone downtown was tossing; he was remodelling his house and had ripped out all of his wall-to-wall carpet. It was in perfect shape; he simply was changing colors...and I had wanted to get carpeting in my living room so Raph could run around without slipping on the hardwood, but I couldn't afford anything new. Unfortunately items on Freecycle tend to go very quickly, so you have to check the site often. But you can post a wanted ad as well.

This may sound crazy, but is your city having local elections now?

We are, and once the elections are over, I will be stock-piling big political signs because they are made of COROPLAST!!!

They are free, they throw themout anyway, andmost of them are HUGE!

I think it was Pet Bunny who gave me the idea.

My bunnies will enjoy pooping on the politicians! :D

Call your local Fed-Ex Kinkos - that's where we got our chloroplast from, and if I remember correctly, we only paid $10 for a huge sheet. It's worth just asking, you never know!

Another thing that i've recently found to be useful with bunnies is pool carpeting. You can get it for really cheap ($3.50 a foot, and it's 6' wide) at the Home Depot, and it doesn't have any loose fibers that the bunnies could rip up. Spills just wipe right off it, and it's so cheap that it could easily be replaced without breaking the bank, and it comes in a variety of different colours.

If your bunnies are litter trained, you could also try those industrial hard vinyl/pvc floor tiles. You can usually find them for really cheap at a home improvment stores, and they can be cut to a perfect fit.

Hey Katt,

I live in MI too and im in the process of making an NIC cage for my little guy. I just called home depot and 4 different stores said they didnt carry it. So, I got out my phone book to start calling stores under "signs" in the yellow pages. The first store I got ahold of said that they didnt, but told me who they got theirs from, and even gave me the number! I found someone who sells 4x8 sheets for $9.00

I would just start calling around to sign stores, if they dont have it, ask who they get it from.

Good Luck!

-Haley

Laura wrote:
My bunnies will enjoy pooping on the politicians! :D
I get mine from Tim Hortons (a Canadian Donut Franchise). Every few weeks, they change their sale promotion, so there are lots of signs that get changed, and thrown out. You could ask them when they switch their signs.

Donuts and Poopies..... :disgust:

Rainbows! :D

Latest posts

Back