News Item: SAVE TOBY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayglnu13

Reaction score
This is taken from:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7406483/

toby1.jpg

Because bunnies are such adorable little critters, people are hoppingmad about a Web site called savetoby.com, filled with photos and even avideo of a cute rabbit named Toby, accompanied by a threat on his life.

"On June 30, 2005, Toby will die," proclaims an anonymous author on thesite. "I am going to eat him. God as my witness, I will devour thislittle guy unless I receive $50,000 into my account."

The site also contains several recipes for cooking Toby. One, for LapinBraise, lists as the prime ingredient: "1 Toby cut in serving-sizedpieces."

Animal lovers, like Sue Brennan, who runs a shelter called "Rabbit Haven" in Gig Harbor, Washington, are outraged.

"I think it's purely emotional blackmail and it was all designed to geta reaction," says Brennan. "The reaction he is looking for is money."

She and other animal rights activists have been calling for it to betaken down. But GoDaddy.com, an Arizona company that hosts the site,refuses to pull the plug. Bob Parsons, GoDaddy founder and presidentsays, "There's nothing illegal about the Web site. It's perfectly legalto eat a rabbit."

Parsons says he's skeptical about the seriousness of the anonymous threat.

"To be honest," he notes, "we don't know if he's actually going to eat the rabbit. We don't even know if there is a rabbit."

Harebrained idea of two college students
The brains behind savetoby.com are two college students on the eastcoast who agreed to talk to NBC News on the condition that theiridentities and location not be disclosed.

"We've been getting tremendously varied responses," says one of thepartners. "Many of which include death threats almost on a daily basis."

Asked whether the Web site was a joke, he responded, "No, not at all.As a matter of fact, it's very serious. If we don't get $50,000, we aregoing to eat the rabbit."

So, how do you save Toby from being put in a cooking pot on June 30?The Web site says you can either buy merchandise, such as T-shirts andcoffee mugs, or you can simply donate money to the cause. But afteranimal lovers besieged PayPal, the online payment company shut down the"save Toby" donations link.

Some animal rights advocates don't think that savetoby.com should begetting any publicity at all, fearing that it will inspire others to dothe same thing, causing these schemes to multiply (like you know what)across the Internet, over and over.

So far, the Web site claims it's collected more than $20,000. The otherpartner in the Save Toby venture also says they have landed a book dealwith Kensington Publishing of New York.

"It's going to include some recipes and a really nice picture layout,"he says. "And it's also going to include an essay on animal rightsactivists and why we think they're nuts."

As for those activists, they think that trying to make money off ofthreatening the life of a rabbit is a pretty harebrained scheme.

______

Their website is Savetoby.com, it is the saddest thing I have everread. Though I am not quite sure I believe they will eat the rabbit. Ithink they are just HORRIBLE TERRORIST! This story was featured on thenews last night.

~Amy

I'm sure it's a scam.This has beengoing around the net fora while. It's someone'sidea of a sick joke. Psycho!

:?

-Carolyn

Yeah these people are real sickos. Ihaven't heard about this story until now. I'm sure it is atrick just to get publicity and money. I just hope people aresmart enough not to fall for it. Thanks for sharing Amy!

It's a hoax, someone on this forum's already made a thread about SaveToby.com....those people that do that are pathetic.

Ellie

P.S. we also figured out that it's not even the same bun in the photo gallery! One has spots on it's nose, the other doesn't.

If you look at the pictures really closely youcan see they are not the same rabbit and they must be lying!! Ther wasanother post about this a little while ago.

This bunnie is being held ransom for 50,000dollars by FM 99 in newport news. I live in NN. They have alreadyraised 10,000 dollars. They are not going to really eat him it is ascam. I know because I live in NN the anoumous people are radio djs offof FM 99.

i know some of you will not agree with this statement but please hear me out...

i saw this for the first time today on the news and the little voice inthe back of my head was thinking "why didn't i think of that"i mean think about it people just giving you money... heprobibly dosn't even have a bunny just a friends to take pics of...50,000 is a lot of $ to build big hutches and buy lots of timothy hay

i agree it is kind of sick but people eat rabbits all thetime he is just getting donations to noteat this particular rabbit and as i said before idon't even think it's his rabbit probibly his doughters orneighbors splitting the profit!

I can only wish I had the kind of spare timethese people must have. At least I wouldn't use it coming up withstupid scams like this one.

I believe in karma. I'm just waiting for these idiots to take theirmoney and go down to South America and be abducted by cannibals. :D

I can't believe this made it to MSNBC...aren't they supposed to check the stories they put up???

BunnyMom -- If I had these people's spare time, I'd....well....I'd geta hold of those people and....well, I can't post what I'd do here...

Jen

funbunbun wrote:
i know some of you will not agree with this statement but please hear me out...

i saw this for the first time today on the news and the little voice inthe back of my head was thinking "why didn't i think of that"i mean think about it people just giving you money... heprobibly dosn't even have a bunny just a friends to take pics of...50,000 is a lot of $ to build big hutches and buy lots of timothy hay

i agree it is kind of sick but people eat rabbits all thetime he is just getting donations to noteat this particular rabbit and as i said before idon't even think it's his rabbit probibly his doughters orneighbors splitting the profit!

Yes, but I think you can probably get into a lot of trouble by doingthis...it's got to be illegal to raise money for yourself...withoutdonating it to a cause or anything....believe me, when I was little, Iused to ask my parents if I could have a raffle so I could get a newbike or whatever...they then explained to me how raffles actuallywork...haha

-Vanessa

VNess2010 wrote:
Yes, but I think you can probably get into a lot of troubleby doing this...it's got to be illegal to raise money foryourself...without donating it to a cause or anything....believe me,when I was little, I used to ask my parents if I could have a raffle soI could get a new bike or whatever...they then explained to me howraffles actually work...haha
Yeah, but raffles are gambling, SaveToby is just asking fordonations. I honestly can't think of anything this guy isdoing that's illegal. Heck, PETA's been alerted, &you know that if PETA isn't doing anything about it, there's nothing tobe done. ;}

Personally, I think the website's brilliant (though not original...SaveBernd & SaveFluffy were around, first, they just didn't getanywhere near the publicity). I can pretty much guarantee youthat the person(s) behind SaveToby are laughing their butt(s) off overhow much of a rise they've gotten out of so many people w/ thisprank... making money is just icing on the cake (and they *are* makingmoney... even though PayPal disabled the donation account & the"official" ticker on the SaveToby site is fake, their CafePress storeis still up & running).

I certainly wouldn't say that this a tasteful joke, but I do think it'sfunny... but then I'll freely admit that my sense of humour is a littletweeked. ;}

Latest posts

Back