newbornes help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpc

Reaction score
My momma rabbit passed away after given birth to11 babies on 4-17, I have been feeding them krm twice today and rubbingtheir tummies to get them to go potty ,so for all the babies are doingfine they have tiny ffat tummies and are warm to touch and pink I havethem in a shoe box with some of the mommas hair she pulled and a cleantowel with no holes is there any thing that I need to be doing diffrent.

You're doing perfectly, kpc. How much are you feeding them?

-Carolyn

I'm feeding them about 5cc. I read somewhere thatwas what they needed, hand raising rabbite is new to me (got my firstfull grown rabbit in Sept ) I only had the babies momma about 3weekknew she was expecting and wanted the babes just didnt plan on this Ihad been out of town when the littles ones come and momma passed shewas a sweetie

Well, kpc, you're doing everything right.

For orphaned rabbits that are newborns, canned kitten formula fed attwice a day for a total of 5 cc KMR (Kitten Milk Formula) is what theyshould be getting. At a week old, increase it to 15-25 cc; 2 weeks:25-27 cc; 3 & 4 weeks: 30 cc per the House Rabbit Handbook.

You've provided them with a nestbox, warmth, fur, and they say to wash the babies faces and bottoms with a warm washcloth.

Careful not to overfeed them because that could be fatal.

Keep us posted. You're doing a tremendous job!

-Carolyn

KPC, kudos to you and best of luck.Sounds like you are doing great and it is so wonderful that thosebabies have you as a surrogate mommy!!

Good job kpc, those babies are lucky to have someone like you to take care of them, hope you fair well and so do they.

It's very hard to keep such young one's alive without their mother, butkpc, if they're to have a chance at all, it is only because of you.Should they not make it, it's not your fault, it's nature.

-Carolyn

Let us know how it goes, kpc.

-Carolyn

just a update all 11 babies are doing fine iweighted them tooday and 10 of them weighed 2 oz and 1 weighed3 i hope thats what they should weight they are verywigglie:)(i just love to watch them) oh i forgotthey are 3 days old now

That's incredible, kpc!

I'm speechless that ALL 11 were still alive.

You're doin something right! Keep up the good work.

Normally a mother will groom the baby's belly down towards theirprivate parts to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. If youfollow the same procedure, within about 15-20 seconds, they should dotheir duty. It's very important that this be done.They should gain about 1/4 oz. each day.

Thanks so much for the update. Keep 'em comin!

-Carolyn

all 11 are doing fine today also so hopefully theyall are going to make it I all ready have homes for some ( if i canpart with them)

You might want to add some heavy cream to theformula you are feeding. Rabbit milk is very rich and byadding the cream you are upping the fat content which bunsneed. You are doing a real good job so far. Keep upthe good work. Donna

They must be getting sooo adorable. I love the updates! Thanks kpc!

-Carolyn

Wow!Haven't heard many success stories on these forums about hand-raisingbabies, but yours looks to be an exception so far! I reallyhope they all come out okay. And it's great that you havehomes for some of them already. Goodluck!

--Melissa and Umbra

Well done on keeping them alive! Thats amazin! Hey, now i no 2 call if one of my buns ever gets pregnant.
Do you have a favourite? Will you keep one or two sisters??

Wuv 4rm lauren
n ebs
n fidget
xoxoxx:D

Sorry that I haven't posted a update in a few days( had the stomace flu),well a for the babies I lost them all fri andsat yes i did have a fravorite it was the last to go it died in my handI could walk inthe room where they were and it would crawl tome so the day it passed it crawled up in my hand and passed a fewminutes later.:(

I'm so sorry for your loss of the babies! Youtried your best and that's all you can do. You did a good job keepingall of them alive for that while.

Laura

Latest posts

Back