Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisses

Reaction score
Hi! I'm thinking of getting a rabbit, butcurrently i'm rabbitless. I have been wanting a bunny for quite awhile, and have done some research. What kind of rabbit do you thinkwould be best for a starter? I'm a little low on mybudget,andI dont want somthing to big. I love thesite!It's fantastic, andhas lots of info!

Christina:)

id suggest Adopting first off. its such a nice way to go, and you can adopt a bun for alot cheaper than buying from a petstore.

id go with a Dutch, or Netherland Dwarf, theyre calm and not as panickyas others in my opinion... English spots ( i have a mixed breedenglish) are a great one too, though theyd rather run around than beheld... but they have AMAZING personalities! and jump and flip throughthe air. I dont have experience with other breed types so im sureothers can suggest other breeds for you.

if youre going to get a bun soon, get a cage first, and get it all setup before you get the bun home. This makes the transition from movingfrom wherever you get him to coming home ALOT easier! id leave the bunalone once you get him so he can acclimate to his surroundings. (meaning AS MUCH as you wanna play with him let him be!!!!!) stress cankill a bun, and being in a new place is scary, Buns can get so scaredthat they have heart attacks so keep ANY other animals you have Faraway from the cage when you bring him home.

Once hes all settled take him out every day and play with him for AT LEAST and hour.
Keep fresh water and Hay available at all times and some toys to playwith too, they have great Carrot shaped rope toys for buns at petcosthat are Excellent cause they can toss em around and stuff!

GOOD LUCK!!! - Alicia

If you have any problems make sure HERE is the place you come! theyreall wonderful here, and really knowledgeable about buns! and we wontchastize you for messing up either! everyone has to start somwhere*hugs* hope i was helpful for you!!

Welcome! From what I've heard, FlemishGiants are awesome. I personally have mini-rexes, and they'refunny, sweet, somewhat cuddly, and very soft. I've heard thatmini lops are bred for maximum cuddliness.

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the world of buns! :D

Kisses,

Welcome to the forum. I started out just like you. I did lots ofresearch and then joined this forum. I just got my bunnies on Sunday. Iwould suggest adopting a small bunny. Even though I hear that Flemishesare awesome, they are huge and probably hard for newbies like us tohandle.

Good Luck,

Bunnydude

Wow thanks for all the advice! I didnt expect itto come that quick lol. How can I find any places where they havebunnies up for adoption? The only place I have found that has rabbitsis my local pets store :(. I like the sound of adopting one. Any oneknow of a good site? I live in North Carolina. Thanks for everything!You guys are great!!

Wait, everyone forgot to say if to get a buck or doe on their favorite breed.

My suggestion is a buck, they are all usually sweet. Thebreed I recommend is a Himalayan, because they are always docile. Ihave met a few does who are mean, so I don't recommend a doe. Some canjust become mean for no reason.

Cleo

I prefer lionheads for the small breeds becauseto me, if they're well-loved by the breeder (or well-handled) they*almost* have the personality of a Flemish...at least that's been myexperience.

But definitely take the time to play with whatever rabbit you'reconsidering....because that will help you find the one you "connect"with.

Peg

hey hey what about the cute mutts...they needhomes too!! :pI have two mixed breed bunnies...if you aregoing to adopt from a shelter you will probably com over a TON ofthese! Often mixed breeds, no matter the kind of animal, have lesshealth problems live longer and have better temperments. The only thingis that you dont know how big its going to to get or thingsofthat nature. From what I've read and heard the smaller the breed themore skittish and short tempered they can be and the big ones are justlove bugs. almost like a comparison between a chiuaua andalab .......but there always are exceptions ;)...how youhandle the bun will also have a huge influence. any animal left toitself will not be nice and socialized. My one bun Freddy will go byanyone .. i bring him everywhere with me..but i also make sure i spendat least two hours a day of him being out and about and i make sure hehas other ppl paying attention to him so hes used to ppl other thanjust me. My other bun Vicky is extremely skiddish. ive had her foralmost a month now. she wouldnt let us pick her up when she was firstbrought home and still puts up a little panic, but as soon as she takesfive mins to realize everything is okay she is fine with it. this hastaken a month just to get to that point. Its important to try andrecognize the personality of your bun so that you can socialize best. iknow i can take Freddy out with me and hesnot scared .. but i wouldnever take the baby out to somewhere i know has alot of clammering b/cshe would be soo freaked out...but just take your time and keep beingpart of this forum and you will do just fine!!!!!!!!!! make sure youread the stickied posts at the top they a valuable wealth ofinformation!!

Goodluck,

Tiffany

I am in TOTAL agreement with Freddies Mom. Ifyou pick one from a shelter, its definately a win - win. I would letits personality dictate the bun that you take home. I would make a listof reasons why you want a bun, characteristics that you think you mightlike and then start looking....I have "picked" too many animals andthey never were like the ones that picked me.

I would go to a shelter. The buns arehealthy and spayed or neutered. It works out well foreveryone!The best thing to do is go and see whichrabbit "speaks" to you. You're sure to find one you justcan't go home without.

Jen

Minilops are not small rabbits, the weight is41/2 to 6 1/2 lbs.at the time they were called minilops because theywere smaller than the already existing breed of french lops and englishlops.Holland lops are smaller.I am refering to US standards.breeds havedifferent names in other countries.bluebird

I'm putting in another vote for a shelterbun. You can still look for specific breeds as long as youdon't want something rare. You'll be able to get a good ideaof their personality, too. And besides, if you are low onmoney they usually come speutered.

Oh, and another suggestion on money-saving, do a search here on NICCubes. Lots of people here use them to build their owncages. It's not only cheaper than most store-bought cages,but it's easy to get a big enough cage that way and they areexpandable. There are a lot of pet store cages that I wouldnever even put my undersized Netherland Dwarf in, much less mydutch!

I think the shelter idea is great!I'll also put it a vote for the mini-rex - I have 1 1/2 mini rexes(Skittles is half MR, half Holland Lop and Hef is full MR) and they arevery sweet! Perhaps a buck - Hef is a buck and he definitelyhas the most friendly personality of my three! I would alsorecommend when looking for a bun to see who reacts well toyou. Hef picked ME, not the other way around. In aroom full of bunnies he came up to me and licked my hand. Iwas done!:)

Good luck and I'm sure no matter who you choose, you'll be happy with your new little friend!

I really like Holland Lops and Dutches. My houseis pretty noisy, I've got 2 nosy and loud dogs. Space is a big issue soI dont want something to big, but I have plenty of handling time and hewill have free range of my room (ofcourse bunny-proofed). How big doMini Lops get? I was looking at some of those cube home things. Can youget a top for those? Because I know my dogs will be all up in my room,being curious lol :p. I saw quite a few adorablebuns on petfinder.com. If I do get one I am definetly getting it from ashelter!

Thankyou for everything!!

Back