Newbie here!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@licia

Reaction score
First of all, I just want to start off by saying hello! I am new to the forum and after looking for the past couple of days, I finally have decided that it was time to introduce myself and get some important questions answered before I get my futurebunny.

Well, my name is Alicia and as you can see, I am from Hamilton, Ontario Canada.I currently own 4 pets: 1 dog, 1 cat and 2 guinea pigs. I also hadtwo sugar gliders and a hamster, but they unfortunately passed away this past summer.

Now, I haveowned many small pets through-out my life, including two dwarf bunnies when my sister and I were about 9 years old, but I have to admit, it has been an awfully long time so I would appreciate it if any of you could answer these questions below for me:

1) I am looking into getting a lop-eared bunny (most likely Holland Lop), is it okay to house a bunny singly? I am home pretty much 24/7 and would be spending a greatamount of time with my future bunny, but do not want the bunny to get depressed, etc. I have heard of some putting a little stuffed toy with their single bunny, andalthough it is not as good for the bunny asa regular companian of the same species would be, but would this be an ok alternative?

2) Since pine and cedar bedding is out of the question, what is the best bedding for a bunny in your opinion? I have heard that pelleted paper and other organic products (Carefresh?)are best, but was thinking on using some fleece since I have alot laying around. Would this be safe to use, or will it be too hazardous if possibly digested?

3) I know you cannot specifically say whichgender of bunny is "better" to own, but in terms of healthissues, training (litter box)and things like that, which would you say is easier to care for? I have owned two females in the past and had problems with them urinating on the walls, etc. - is it really true that both genders mark territories regardless? I know spaying and/or neutering would help resolve this issue, but am just curious in general.

Anyway, I think those are the main questions I am desperately seeking answers to, but if I have anymore, I will not hesitate to ask. After all, you can never ask too many questions before owning a bunny, right?! Once again, I appreciate hearing any thoughts, opinions or answers to my questions. Thanks in advance, guys! :pinkbouce:

@licia wrote:
1) I am looking into getting a lop-eared bunny (most likely Holland Lop), is it okay to house a bunny singly? I am home pretty much 24/7 and would be spending a greatamount of time with my future bunny, but do not want the bunny to get depressed, etc. I have heard of some putting a little stuffed toy with their single bunny, andalthough it is not as good for the bunny asa regular companian of the same species would be, but would this be an ok alternative?

2) Since pine and cedar bedding is out of the question, what is the best bedding for a bunny in your opinion? I have heard that pelleted paper and other organic products (Carefresh?)are best, but was thinking on using some fleece since I have alot laying around. Would this be safe to use, or will it be too hazardous if possibly digested?

3) I know you cannot specifically say whichgender of bunny is "better" to own, but in terms of healthissues, training (litter box)and things like that, which would you say is easier to care for? I have owned two females in the past and had problems with them urinating on the walls, etc. - is it really true that both genders mark territories regardless? I know spaying and/or neutering would help resolve this issue, but am just curious in general."
Hi, Welcome to the forum!

1) Almost every rabbit does completely fine housed alone, most do best housed by them selves. Bonding is hard and hormones in rabbits will cause them to fight with one another. So id say housing one rabbit alone is probably best.

2) Aspen is best. People on here don't really use bedding though, because they litter box train there bunnies and doing so, you don't use bedding. Carefresh can also be used for bedding too, pellet litter is used in litter boxes by most people, but i line my litter boxes with aspen then throw hay ontop of it and it works GREAT!

3) I like males best. even though i will have 4 girls and 1 boy lol. I just like males better cause they arnt as moody. Males are also better in health because female can get cancer very easy if not spayed. Dealing with litter box training, gender doesnt matter but it IS easier to litter box train a spayed/neutered rabbit than it is a UNfixed rabbit.

Hope this help you out, if you have any more questions feel free to PM message me or whatever, k :biggrin2:

Again, welcome!

Welcome to the forum ~ we're glad to have you here and it is nice to see you researching before you get a rabbit.

A rabbit can live very well alone - I have others that love being bonded with another. I think if you work with your rabbit to help it bond to you - it should probably do fine.

LOPS...I love them. We have had holland lops - and they are so much FUN...I think they make the energizer bunny tired (or at least mine did).

For most breeds I recommend boys as pets because they aren't as territorial. The exception to that is definitely flemish giants where I find the girls to be much more affectionate than the boys. There may be a few other breeds too where that happens.

If I was getting my first rabbit in a while - I'd probably get a male and try to get him neutered. I know testicular cancer isn't as common in males as the cancer for females...but still yet - it should help behavior issues.

As far as finding a rabbit - I want to remind you that there are three ways to find one...a breeder....a pet shop...and a rescue organization.

The upside of a breeder is that they know their rabbits and if you can find a GOOD breeder who will guarantee the health of their rabbit till a certain age or length of time - that can be reassuring. They also should know the genetic issues that rabbit could have and how to check for those issues (bad teeth, etc).

The good part about using a rescue is that freqently the rabbits are older and their personalities are more developed so that you already know what they are like. They are often socialized from their experience with volunteers and they are often already neutered. The cost is often fairly reasonsble.

With a pet store - (or a breeder) - you have to watch out that you don't get a rabbit too young or that is in sickly condition. You want to look for clear eyes - fur that is not matted -- especially on the feet and near the nose - and of course - you want to play with the rabbit to see how personable it is.

Be aware that whenever you bring a new rabbit home from anywhere...that it will take some time to get used to you and it may well be skittish for a while. That is ok - take time to sit on the floor and let the rabbit explore you at their leisure.

Again - welcome to the forum!

Welcome, looks like you got answers to your questions so just me say Hi.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny when you get one and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

Here is link to the rules of the site, light reading Rabbits Online Forum Rules.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info.

Dave

Hi!

I'm new to this board too, but thought I'd let you know about our experience personally.

We have two Holland lops, a buck and a doe. Bought the buck first and he was the friendliest and smallest in the litter, and we heard the males were often better pets. He is VERY personable, loves to play and loves attention. He immediately took to my young kids and never got scared or skittish (we also supervise ALL play with the kids). He doesn't love to be held but will ALWAYS come up for attention.

After we had a him a couple weeks, my husband (weird I know) asked if we should get another bunny to keep him company. We bought a female from the same breeder as we read M/F pairs bonded better. Since they were both young, it took about 1 day before they were best buddies. The female is a little more nervous about the kids, but for me, she's my love muffin and will hang out with me for hours. She's less energetic than the male, pretty small, and very furry (has the fuzzy gene that occasionally pops up in the breed.)

The only downside is that while waiting for the neuter date, my buck mounted my doe the day before his neuter so now they are separated in case she got pregnant. Once 35-40 days go by, if she doesn't have kits, will take her for her spay so they can go back together again when she's healed.

Neither have sprayed, but neutered the buck before he started and will spay the doe soon too. My buck is almost 100% litterbox trained, the doe, not as great but hopefully will when she's spayed.

I definitely recommend a good breeder or a rescue. The rescues around here were so difficult to work with, I ended up going to the breeder twice since she had done such a good job with our first one and we wanted good personalities. She also shows her bunnies, and takes back any buns, anytime in the future ifyou ever find you can't keep them and I like that she cares about them after they leave. I wanted to support the rescue but wish they would bemore flexible (only allowed you to comea couple days out of the month,only to aspecific location, and wouldn't allow me to adopt until my male was neutered, depsite the fact the rescue would have been altered.) I know they are looking out for the best interest of the buns but I think they miss out on some good homes when they are like that.

Have fun on your search!
Jill

i use aspen, which i beleive is kiln dried litter. but it soaks up everything great, its cheap, and easy to clean up. when it gets wet, it expands and kinda turns into dirt.

and i would base it off more what you want than what a rabbit needs for single or bonded bun wise. if you got to a rescue though there are often bonded buns already there so you dont have to worry about it yourself, and bonded buns are sometimes harder to place as well so youd be doing them a favor :)

and gender wise...after my first female i said NEVER AGAIN would i have a female...then i accidently fell for a female french lop and she is a bossy terror. i love my boys and prefer them

welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Back