Newbie bunny owner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would be better off reading past posts! There is too much information and tips to tell in this post and remember them all!

Welcome Aboard, Meghan910, :)

Off the top,

-Give your rabbit a pellet food that has at least 18% or more of fiber

-Timothy Hay keeps the digestive system going, helps move furballs thatcould get stuck, is good for their teeth, and they love it.

-They love to chew on electrical wires, so make sure they're out of reach.

-Don't use cedar shaving for litter because when they urinate on it, itsounds out toxic fumes for them and they shouldn't inhale it.

-Keep the cage clean and make sure the rabbit stays dry. If the rabbithas to sit in soiled litter, it can become sick and it's hard to make arabbit well once cold symptoms show up. (Sneezing, runny eyes...)

-Keep fresh water available at all times as it's the most important part of your rabbit's intake.

-Their teeth are constantly growing so best to provide them with a good hard wood to keep them filed down. I use apple wood.

-Don't give the little one too many treats (bunny treats, vegetables,fruits) because the high sugar content is really bad for their systems.All treats in moderation--two or three times a week.

-If you're in an area where it's hot this time of year, be sure to readthe post about Keeping a rabbit cool in the summertime...one of the top5 posts on the board. Rabbits quickly die from heatstroke and/orsunstroke, so make sure the cage is an area that isn't in the sun (alsowant to avoid drafts). Sudden changes of temperatures can make a rabbitvery ill.

What is your little one's name? How's things going with him/her?

-Carolyn

Is it friendly? Usually for the first week newbunnies are NOT! If you're having that problem bring a smalltreat every time you come to the cage ( a healthy treat, like rawoatmeal).

Don't overfeed--that's the biggest problem with small bunnies.Overweight dwarfs are all too common. A dwarf should eat no more than1/3 cup per day--probably less when it reaches adult weight.

A growing baby can eat more, so feed just enough so it's moderatelyhungry every morning. If you can feel ribs without pushing hard, withjust a thin covering of fat, that's about the right weight. If the ribsare covered with a thick layer of fat, start a gradual dieting process.The belly should be round and slightly firm, but not sticking out toofar. Look at the pics of healthy bunnies in the rabbit care books foran example.

But if you got it from a petshop, don't count on it being a dwarf.Mostly those are mixed-breeds sold as dwarfs and will get somewhatlarger (4-6 lbs. vs. 2.5-3 lbs for a purebred Netherland Dwarf). Notthat that's a bad thing, just keep in mind when feeding and buyingcages.

Dwarfs can be snappish at times, don't let it get away with that. Don'tput it down if it bites, because then it gets the bright idea thatbiting is good!

Good luck with your new cutie!!!

Rose

Welcome, Meghan910. There is a lot of useful information posted in the forum - we all learn by experience, good or bad!! :D

The more time you spend with your bun, the easier it will be to bond,depending on its personality - and boy, do they havepersonalities.Enjoy it

Jan

Thanx everyone for all your hints. I'm not sureif it's a boy or girl, but I named it Manhattan, after my favoritecity. It's all blackwith a tiny bit of hair that's gray onit's back. :)

Meghan

Love the name you picked. I'm a native New Yorker, so you can understand why I'm partial. :)

-Carolyn

Does anyone know how you are able to tell thedifference between male and female? Also, I bought one of those blocksfor rabbits to chew on, it looks and feels like it's a pummice (sp?)stone.Are those OK?

Meghan

Hi Meghan,

Check out this website for pictures.http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

Since your little one is 2 months old, you should be able to identifyhim/her easier than a baby which can be difficult and Doc says if itlooks like a donut, (circular) it's a boy; if it looks like a taco(slit) it's a girl.

I use apple wood, or basically a good fruit wood, will be good for yourrabbit to chew on. It should be hard so that the rabbit'steeth can remain filed down. For a list of safe foods/woods,check out:http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

-Carolyn

Hi , welcome to the bunny forum andcongratulations on getting a rabbit. My bunny Trouble lovesthose stones that you posted about.They are calledlava bites, anyway the ones that I get are calledthat. My female Trixie could care less aboutthem. You just have to try different things and see what yourbun likes. Neither of my buns will chew the orange or yellowwood blocks that you can buy in the pet shop. They will chewapple wood, but Trouble goes crazy over the lava bites. Hopethis helps. Take Care- Beckie, Trouble and Trixie

I'll have to get those lava bites. I've never heard of them and haven't seen them. Will look for them now.

Thanks Beckie and Meghan.

-Carolyn

Hi!

Mine isn't bites, it's a block. I don't remember who makes it, when Igo back to the pet store where I got it, I'll post the name. It saysthat it lasts longer then the wood. Manhattan likes Cheerios (I hadonly given it 3 to see what it would do) and raw oatmeal.

I'm not exactally sure how old he is either, I was so excited that Ifound a small black rabbit that all questions I was thinking of askingflew out of my head. I tried to find out if it was male or female,still can't tell.

Meghan:)

Meghan910 wrote:
Hi!

Mine isn't bites, it's a block. I don't remember who makes it, when Igo back to the pet store where I got it, I'll post the name.

Meghan:)
That would be very helpful and I'd be extremely interested to find outwho makes it so that I can ask for it by name. (NoRush!) Thanks Meghan!

It sounds as if the lava bites do the same type of thing as thewood. As long as it's hard and the rabbits can sharpen andkeep their teeth worn down, then I wouldn't worry terribly much aboutgoing out of your way to get wood right away. You can alwaystry it out, but it sounds likeManhattan is getting everythinghe/she needs.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back