new zealand whites wont breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woahlookitsme wrote:
I believe the OP was referring to the quote i put up and mainly the point of
"If you are not a breeder, you don't support breeding and you have nothing of note to contribute to a thread beyond expressing an opinion on breeding, PLEASE DON'T POST."

Well if they havent been at your house for long and or they have been moved around alot(such as transferred via a show) the buck might still be taking it all in. His behavior could be an identification of stress. How long have you had them. I would let the buck settle in a little more before trying to breed them. Be aware this doe may not have a litter because she is over a year. It may take 3-4 trys with the buck even penetrating but no litter before she has one. Or i might just be wrong and she could have one the first try though this would be rare.

Oh and yours have nice hutches. Way to keep them out of the cold. Good luck and keep those interested up to date

Thank you for clearing that up woahlookitsme. I am sorry tfb4me for any confusion.

But tfb4me: if I know about a topic in this Rabbitry and Show Room I will post. I don't express my opinions on breeding. If I can put myself in the situation then I will post what I would do in that situation.

I have two small breed rabbits that are fixed. Before they were fixed Prince supposedly got Sweetie and I was prepared to help her with the babies, but she didn't have them.

tfb4me I also have a pair of NZ Reds that I raise the babies for me, just leave the rasing for meat part out. it's not lying it's not telling everything. I had posted about the babies. To me, I always look for something in every litter, an exceptional baby or what have you for showing. I just know with my babies that once they hit 6 months old, they my father's rabbits. The parents technically belong to him so I just have the fun of rasing and Jr showing(sr if I take the parents)
As for them not breeding, I would definently give the buck some extra time. I got my buck to breed out as an Int to my Sr. doe, but she was a young Sr and I'm in a warmer climate. I do leave my does in with certain bucks overnight. I know which of my bucks are gentle with does and which are not. It's matter of preference and what you are used to.
I've done table breeding, cage breeding and then leaving the doe in over night. I have a few bashful bucks that won't do anything with me there.

wow love the replys. Thanks to all. Im going to give Max another week or 2 before I try again. They were purchased one week ago, so they are new here. Sweetie I knew you werent a breder because I searched your name and read all your posts, well not all but enought to figure out you were a non breeding pet owner.
Blaze_Amita, Thanks for the advise and ill remember that in the future. This site has a TON of information and I find it very usefull. Its the speed in the replys to my questions i ask.

As woahlookitsme said, our first start with rabbits was with Californians in FFA and raising them formeat pens at the school show. We learned from the breeder who sold us our first trio that, once they're settled in,youmay have more success if you try breeding them around a full moon.

tfb4me: you are right I am not a breeder and I thank you that you looked at my posts first. I do know about rabbits but not about breeding. I know the different breeds out there because I research them and my brother had a few rabbits for a while.

So when there is a question about breeds of rabbits that are out there, I will post in this section.

Also you have a beautiful setup for your beautiful rabbits.

Disclaimer, I am not a breeder, just a curious person I guess.

When you put the rabbits together for breeding how do they not fight? I'm in the middle of bonding two fixed rabbits and they did not like eachother at first. Is it the hormones that let them forget they are not friends?

MiniLopHop wrote:

When you put the rabbits together for breeding how do they not fight? I'm in the middle of bonding two fixed rabbits and they did not like eachother at first. Is it the hormones that let them forget they are not friends?
I'm no professional but ill wager a guess. I would imagine having them "fixed" would tend to cause due stress alone. Rabbits by nature would want to breed. I wouldthink byremoving that element it would be replaced with something else, like aggression, Possibly??

When I introduced our Buck, Max to our Cali, Lucy she went and ran him right over. was not impressed. I'm sure individual personality's would be an issue too. Give them time and supervised visits and I'm sure they will get to know each other eventually

Here are some updated pics of our setup. Max, Marshmellow and lucy's hutches.
P3029350.jpg

P3029356.jpg

P3029371.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!!

MiniLopHop wrote:

I think that it is the separation time they have away from each other that they forget, but I am not sure. I had to keep Sweetie and Prince away from each other for awhile when he had his leg fixed. Then I rebonded them and it took two weeks for them to rebond. Now they are very much bonded to each other.

Some of my girls will get snotty with my bucks when I breed, and some of my bucks will rip hunks of fur off my does so those bucks table breed so I can try to preserve as much of the doe's fur as possible. The first time I use any buck I will put him in an x-pen, let him get used to it for a few hours and then put the doe in so I can watch him for how he treats hsi girls. Speedle and Syd are my super rough two. My English Spot buck would nip me when I tried to remove the doe, but wouldn't lay a tooth on her. Aragorn, my NZ Red buck is very gentle on Trish.

I also am usually very careful to not use unproven with unproven. While when I first got into rabbits I did, cause I had bought babies and raised them myself.
See if you can bring the doe back to the breeders to cross her to a proven buck.

woahlookitsme wrote:
That or i would get a proven doe

Actually I did just that today. Took the Cali back to the original breeder and left her there for a few hours while I did some running around. He said mission is complete.. so we shall see in a couple of weeks what happens. As for the New Zealand's we will give them time. Id like to be self sufficient. With my own animals. Perhaps if down the road we get another buck ill keep him. The Cali breeder says sometimes if you put a doe in with a buck sometimes all it takes is a 2nd buck in the next cage to make things happen.. I'm so glad I have had this issue. I am learning a TON!!!

Latest posts

Back