New Zealand...or Flemish?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
Hello! So, five-ish months ago, I purchased a "purebred red New Zealand" from a meat farm, and gave her a loving home. For anyone unfamiliar with this breed, they are considered a medium/large breed, and does grow to be around 12 lbs full sized, at about 18 months of age.

Well, Molly is now pushing 11 pounds, and she's not even 6 months old! She went for her first vet visit this week, and the vet estimates that her full-sized weight will be around 16lbs (may be more but her spay later this month will stunt her growth a bit).

In addition to this, a red New Zealand generally has the coloring of a red brick. Molly is definately closer to a fawn color, not nearly as dark as she should be. Her ears seem longer than they should be, and she seems to have that lond "mandolin" shape that's seen in the Flemish.

I'd love to add a pic, but I can't figure out how to (even with photobucket)...if anyone can let me know the secret, I'll post one!

A new zeland will be full grown before 18 months of age. I don't have my SOP with me, but they will reach senior weight WAY before that. Chances are, if she came from a meat farm, their lines will grow fast so that the young make a good fryer weight and are in and out in no time at all.

can you post a few pictures?

Thanks for the link, Peg! Here are some pics of her:

8 weeks old:

DSC00063.jpg

four months old (pushing 8 lbs):

PICT0011-1.jpg

Showing the "mandolin" shape a little bit:

DSCI0101.jpg

Another side shot showing her proportions:

DSCI0057.jpg

A few recent pics to compare her current size (my boyfriend wears size 11 shoes and those are his sneakers, and that's a 2L bottle of soda):

PICT0001.jpg

DSCI0099.jpg

And FINALLY, her famous ears:

DSCI0079.jpg

DSCI0097.jpg

Sorry for so many pics, but I want to give you guys a good idea of her appearance!

She is definitely a flemish and a VERY good looking one! Can I ask where you got that harness at? Does the neck part open up also or do you have to slide it over the ears and head? I've been searching for a good harness for my flemmies.

Very pretty flemish - in the future - could you use smaller photos though?

Here is part of what the link I shared said about size...

2) Choose a smaller option. (Warning: Make a copy of the photo first, once you reduce the size you can not enlarge it again).

The maximum recommended size on this forum is 640 x 480. (It's best to set your Photobucket options to default to this size).

Thanks!!!

Hi y'all,

Mike here from New Brunswick Canada. New to the forum & have a question linked to this thread. We have 2 adult rabbits that were each sold to us as Flemish Giants. I'm wondering though, as I see pics of New Zealands, if ours are actually flemmies.

What do you think? I'd appreciate your thoughts...
(here are a couple of pics - there are a couple more at:
http://www.Flickr.com/photos/MyWhiteDoves)

5711409306_f3d86d4590_m.jpg
5711408494_b29716575a_m.jpg

Latest posts

Back