New Wittle wabbit owner ;)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wittlewabbit

Reaction score
Hello ! I just got my new bunny today he/she is a New Zealand, Holland lop mix but he doesn't have the floppy ears hes so clam and not skittish at all love him already ill post pictures soon :) I've never owned a rabbit before so im excited any fav toys urs have ? Favorite veggies? Does anyone have free roam bunnys? And his names Thumper lol husband chose it haha

Congratulations! How old is the little guy? Favorite veggies for my warren are green and red leaf lettuce, parsley, celery, mustard greens, kale (sometimes), and endive...and baby carrots of course! Their favorite toys are paper towel rolls, cardboard boxes, wood blocks and grass mats.

Good luck and welcome to bunny ownership :happybunny:

i got him some chews and some bells and some cat toys lol when i run out of paper on a TP roll ill give him that :) hes already litter box trained so thats exciting !

Welcome and congratulations on your new family member! We definitely want to see lots and lots of pics.
My buns name is Thumper as well and my husband picked it too! Ha

A bunny that young should not be given veggies. Their digestive sytem isn't ready for it yet. He should be provided with unlimited pellets. The same pellets as he has been eating up till now. It should not contain any colored pieces. No pieces of corn either as they cannot digest the shells. If he has been eating these types of pellets than you will want to buy a better kind and slowly over time switch him over to the new pellet. He should also have a grass hay available at all times. It is very important for their digestion. Poops should be round and dry and uniform in size. If not then it means there is a problem.

You may want to think about a water bowl as buns tend to get more water with them than a bottle but I suggest a heavier type bowl such as ceramic so the bun cannot push it around and knock it over.

Most buns like chewing on cardboard such as paper towels rolls or toilet paper rolls. Cardboard boxes with doors cut into it are good for playing. Just avoid cardboard with shiny printing on it. Telephone books with the covers removed. Cat balls. Cat tunnels. Cardboard concrete tubes from home improvement stores used as tunnels. A dig box which can be a cardboard box or plastic box filled with torn paper or shredded paper.

My bun has free run of a room except when we got to bed then he goes in his cage otherwise he would keep us up. I am also now letting him into our dining room and kitchen.

You may want to give him some time to settle him in before introducing the dog. We let ours just see each other and sniff through a baby gate at first. When we introduced we brought our dog into the buns room and made him lay down. We kept this up for weeks as we watched our dog to be sure of his reaction. Now he can be up but if he starts to get too excited we have him lay. Also, never leave the bun and dog together unsupervised.

i have a German Shepherd Mix i put Thumper in his cage in the living room just so Vada can smell him and stuff the bunny is just like whatever not scared very curious apparently he's very use to dogs and people and kids hes eating and just hanging out i have hay already and toys i do need pellets tho since welp i got something he cant eat so ill take that out right away so he dosnt get hurt i thought the pellets looked....sad lol so ill get those ASAP i do have a water bowl since i did know about the bottle not giving them enough water but he was rasied on the bottle so that might take some transition for him so for now he has both.... we are making vada lay down as well :) the person i got her from did tell me about no fruits and stuff till he was older so havent even tried to give him anything like that :) vada isnt being mean but shes deff very curious as to what the bunny is since well shes never seen one...

Congrats on the new bun, and welcome to RO! My rabbit Ash's favorite veggies are Cilantro, Celery, and Carrots. And I have yet to find a toy that Ash likes to play with, lol.

And yes post pics!

I show and breed tan rabbits. They are very striking and beautiful. They also have huge personalities.

It sounds like your dog is just curious. Rabbits will normally just walk right up to dogs and smell them. It is a big thing to just make sure your dog is calm and under control. They sound like as she gets bigger they will get along. I agree with never leaving them unsupervised together.

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

My Wittle baby bunny boy :)

Vada my shepherd is very obedient and submissive we just had her lay down and thumps just walked around and smelled her vada never got up from a laying position will keep doing that until im comfortable and id never leave them alone !

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Great to know that you're off to a good start, everyone else has pretty much covered a lot of things. I have a rabbit called Bandit, he loves his pellets more than his veggies, but he's partial to parsley and basil. I'm still slowly introducing him to things at the moment.

Latest posts

Back