New to the forum, Meet Braxton and Blake

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeandBraxton

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Shelby, and I am new to forum. I am the current "Foster Mom" but soon to be "Forever Mom" to two 6 month old bunnies, Blake and Braxton. Blake is a New Zealand White and Braxton looks like a Dutch but he most likely has some New Zealand in him as well. My boys came to me 3 months ago from a horrible hoarding case in which 108 bunnies were living in deplorable conditions. They came to me skinny, scared and coated in urine, but they truly have made a transformation in the time I have had them. I took them in as fosters when the shelter I foster for become overrun from the bunny raid. I intended to foster them, socialize them, give them some TLC and find them loving homes but it was soon after they came into my home that I found that my boys are both special little guys. Braxton already at only 6 months old has had some issues with GI stasis, which is my reason for joining the forum to get some insight on GI issues in general and particularly how to work with his problems (I have a thread in the Infirmary section), and Blake has been diagnosed with Pasteurella Multocida which we are currently working to clear. Thus, due to these medical issues, they will stay with me so I can ensure they get the care they need. Sometimes this is a challenge as I have not had bunnies for years after tragically losing my last 2 bunnies, both rabbits bought from a barn before they were to be sold for dog food :( Carmel and Charcoal, a Holland Lop and a Dutch at only two years old and three years old, both very unexpectedly. Their devastating deaths have left me very paranoid over any potential problems but I am here to learn to try to feel more comfortable knowing what to look for and give the boys happy healthy lives! I look forward to reading up and hopefully finding info that can help me and my boys! Thanks!

18426_292256_450000000.jpg

Blake <3

18426_292254_450000000.jpg

Braxton <3

They are adorable!! Welcome to the forum.

Braxton has huge ears, I just wanna pet them so badly! Stasis can be scary but it is mostly manageable. I`m not sure what you know and what you don`t so I`ll just toss out some info.

Hay, hay hay. It keeps their digestive system moving.
Papaya has been known to help with GI tract issues, as has pineapple (so some fresh pineapple in the water, that sort of thing).
Once the gut has started to slow down, canned pumpkin can help a lot. It`s full of fiber and tastes great to them. Just make sure it`s pure pumpkin and doesn`t have a bunch of other stuff in it.
Oxbow`s Critical Care: a must have for any bunny owner. Once your rabbit stops eating for whatever reason, it can be necessary to syringe feed the bun to keep the bun hydrated and fed.

That`s everything I can think of for now, there`s lot of topics about it and if you have any questions just ask!

Welcome again!

welcome to RO! it's so wonderful that you've helped to save these bunnies and are giving them a second chance at life - I'm sure they're more thankful to you than they could ever fully express through bunny-kisses, snuggles and nose-bonks!

I'm sorry about the bunnies that you lost. I know how hard that can be. And I know all about feeling paranoid after you've lost a rabbit. I think it would be hard not to feel that way. But I'm really glad you are able to take these two sweet buns into your home and help provide them with the care and love that they need.

So sorry for your loos :( your boys are quite handsome though! I wish you much luck and hope they get well soon!

MarisaAndToby wrote:
They are adorable!! Welcome to the forum.

Braxton has huge ears, I just wanna pet them so badly! Stasis can be scary but it is mostly manageable. I`m not sure what you know and what you don`t so I`ll just toss out some info.

Hay, hay hay. It keeps their digestive system moving.
Papaya has been known to help with GI tract issues, as has pineapple (so some fresh pineapple in the water, that sort of thing).
Once the gut has started to slow down, canned pumpkin can help a lot. It`s full of fiber and tastes great to them. Just make sure it`s pure pumpkin and doesn`t have a bunch of other stuff in it.
Oxbow`s Critical Care: a must have for any bunny owner. Once your rabbit stops eating for whatever reason, it can be necessary to syringe feed the bun to keep the bun hydrated and fed.

That`s everything I can think of for now, there`s lot of topics about it and if you have any questions just ask!

Welcome again!

Thanks for your input and the warm welcome! I always have been keeping a good supply of hay with him at all times, and have critical care from my vet on hand in case things get rough. Luckily, he has never stopped eating, only experienced limited stool production and looking uncomfortable. My other vet gave me oral metoclopramide to have on hand also but I am trying to go to every thing else before using that. I picked up on simethizone drops today to have on hand also, but I have never used them so I am little weary. Very good to know about the papaya, pineapple and pumpkin! We have ferrets who regularly get pumpkin mixed with their special "soupies" so I can definitely try some of that with him since we always have it on hand and I will definitely have to keep papaya and pineapple in mind also. Hopefully I will be able to work with him and figure out what kinda diet he does well with and maintain that! Thanks again!(and yes, he does have some great ears :) That pic is from when I first got him so he has grown into them a little more now, but they are still awesome! :))

and

Thank you everyone else for welcoming us as well! I definitely miss my past babies, but being a bunny mom again is very fun, the boys make me laugh so much with their silly personalities and with how comical they are now I can only imagine how fun they will be once everyone is back in tip top shape!

Welcome! So sorry about your loss but it's great you have two new buns to love. Imagree, bunnies are hysterical! Mine make me laugh everyday :)

Congrats and welcome to RO
They are so cute
Oxbow makes a great papaya/pineapple tablet that you can give to your buns!!!
We have those for our Dilly and she gets one a day, she has also had some GI issues in the past and with her poo.
Good luck

HEM wrote:
Oxbow makes a great papaya/pineapple tablet that you can give to your buns!!!
We have those for our Dilly and she gets one a day, she has also had some GI issues in the past and with her poo.
I get swarmed the second my two hear the rattle of pills when I pick up the bottle, lol - the tablets are crammed with extra enzymes, making the enzyme to sugar ratio better than that of fresh pineapple/papaya and the tablets are quite popular with bunnies.

I will say, mine shunned it the first time I offered them one... I even broke it up into fourths and tried offering them little nibbles and they just looked at me like "WTF are we supposed to do with that hard pill thing, mom?" not wanting to waste the pill, I dropped the four pieces in their pellet bowl... lo and behold, they disappeared and the rabbits have been hooked ever since.

He is a cutie :) and thanks again! I am keeping a look out for the treats, looks like I have to do an online order because they weren't at my local pet store but so far I have been doing a limited pellet diet with him and I see improvement! Yay!

That's great that the limited pellets seems to be helping :) You may want to just keep in mind that if grains and sugars are causing your buns digestive problems, that the papaya tablets do have sugar in them. Typically they are used when rabbits are molting, with the idea that it helps break up the hair, though there is some debate whether or not it really is effective. I've never used them myself though, so I don't know what sort of effect it would have on a bun that has a sensitive digestive system. With seeing positive results from the limited pellets, you may want to hold off on the papaya tablets for the time being.

Last edited:
Will do! Brax is actually just finishing out a molt as well so its probably best that I wait, especially since he has been doing so well! Now I just gotta get his brother neutered in the next few weeks (have been holding off due to issues with Pasteurella) and we should be in good standing.

Have just come upon this and it's so lovely to see two more bunnies finding someone to love and care for them. I have learned so much about GI issues on here even though mine are fine, there are some real experts with hands on knowledge who've gone through really bad situations and have come through the other end with a healthy little bunny. I just love reading all about these as it's amazing how much love and care we all give to our bunnies who we all love to bits and just how much they give back to us with all their wonderful bunny kisses and cuddles and nose rubs. Aren't they ALL just gorgeous.

It's something I think we all need to be aware of as if they do eventually have tummy issues, it's so much easier if you already know the signs to look for. I can't see the pics so I'm fascinated to see those big ears, I absolutely love big ears on buns.

Latest posts

Back