New to the Forum and have questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarathustra

Reaction score
Hey everyone. If I am posting this inthe wrong place yell at me. I am sorry if it is. This is Mrs. Sniffles"The Bunny Rascal." She is the cutest and most spoiled rabbitin NYC.

She is geting spayed onFri and I am a bit worried, so if anyone wants to reassure me go right ahead.

I, however, have a couple of questions, mainlyaboutbun behavior. Mrs. Sniffles is approx. 5 mos old minirex and was adopted from a reputable breeder a week ago.

(1) Is nipping always bad? Mrs. Sniffles has a game or what appears tobe where she will run to her nest jump in and then run to the door ofthe cage... nuzzle a bit then run to her box and such severaltimes. Today she did it and then like on thefourthor 5th time nipped a bit. This was aftergivingbunny kisses (licking). so the nip was a bitconfusing.

(2) She was running around the Apt tonight "binkying" but will onlycome up to my leg and sniff....maybe a nosebump.Is there anything I should be doingto gether tobe pettable more? She hasbeen a bit and then seems like she cares less.

I had another question but i really can't remember what it is.... hmmmmm.....

Thnx in advance everyone!!!!

I think nipping and biting are two differentthings,friendly rabbits often nip to get your attention.bitingaggressively ,very painful and drawing blood is different.bluebird

First, she's a beautiful girl. Iunderstand the spay nerves, but the risk is really verylittle. Make sure you are using a rabbit savvy vet and youshould be fine. Watch her closely after the surgery to makesure she is eating and drinking well, check her poops, and watch thatshe doesn't pull her stitches. Good luck!

Second, Sampson, my flemish giant, nips at me to get myattention. He seems to think I shouldn't do anything but givehim pets and love when he's out of his cage.LOLActually that's how I picked him from the litter, they all wantedattention, but he demanded it and I wanted a really loving guy.

Third, she may settle down after her hormones have a chance to settledown (a few weeks after being spayed). Try getting down onher level, lay on the floor with some toys and treats. Thismakes you less threatening. Most buns don't like to be heldand some are just independent. My females are both a littlealoof. I love them and they entertain me greatly, but it'srare that they seek out love.

Welcome to the forum.

Jen

zarathustra wrote:

"(1) Is nipping always bad? Mrs. Sniffles has a game or what appears tobe where she will run to her nest jump in and then run to the door ofthe cage... nuzzle a bit then run to her box and such severaltimes. Today she did it and then like on thefourthor 5th time nipped a bit. This was aftergivingbunny kisses (licking). so the nip was a bitconfusing..."

No, especially among young buns who have not learned that you are notanother bun and it hurts. I generally say "Ouch!" and pullaway quickly while explaining that the nipping hurts. As theymature, buns usually get the idea and become less exuberant with theirnibbles.

"(2) She was running around the Apt tonight "binkying" but will onlycome up to my leg and sniff....maybe a nosebump.Is there anything I should be doingto gether tobe pettable more? She hasbeen a bit and then seems like she cares less...."

For having owned her only a week, you and she have maderemarkable and most unusual progress! Many will wait monthsto achieve the relationship you already have and be thankful atthat. Buns like high pitched womens' voices that coo and babytalk to them. Always acknowledge your bun with a look or acomment. It is an insult in the bunnyworld to be ignored.

If you're interested in learning more about "bunny speak," linkto:http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Buck

Laura wrote:
What type of bunnies are Mrs. Sniffles andValuran? They are beautiful and look soooooo soft.

Laura
I think she said Mrs. Sniffles is a mini rex and my guess is thatValuran is too, or maybe a standard rex. You can't miss thatfur!

Jen

Thnx everyone for your responses. (Still at work, but no one is looking!).

Yep, Mrs. Sniffles is a mini-rex and she quite possibly is the softestthing I have ever felt. I assume Valuran (BTW i love thename) is as well.

Buck... thnx mate. I am beginning to realize thatwe are a lot further than many people are with their buns after readingthe forum. She is quite a sweet thing. I have neverseen an animal sooooo curious as she is. After only a week,she will go anywhere in the apt that she can without trepidation andshe even goes back into her cage by herself.

Back to work.... yay reading til i can't see straight!!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back