new to rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trz

Reaction score
not sure where to post this so i'll try here.
Granddaughter wants a couple rabbits,is it okay to raise a lionhead and a holland lop in the same pen.

I just have one pen right now (20 x 30 or so) but plan to build a hutch with a side for each rabbit. but, is it okay for now to put 2 new bunnies in the same pen?

I would recommend only getting one rabbit for now and getting the second when the hutch is built. Putting two rabbits together who don't know each other could spell big trouble. Will they be the same sex?

If the rabbits are unaltered, then it is not a good idea to keep them in the same pen.

Maybe just get one and then the other after you build the cages?

If you have 2 unaltered males, they will fight to the death... unaltered females will pick at each other, but nothing too bad.

If they are altered, they should be fine.

Would suggest one and introduce another only if you have another separate hutch--not all rabbits will "bond" and live peacefully--sometimes they will fight and end up bloody and in need of a vet. By and far, the most mellow bunnies we've had have been neutered males, but we've also had some great females too. Just depends on the bunny.

Either one would work, especially if they are altered.
I personally prefer males because they seem more affectionate to me, but they do spray if they are unaltered.

I personally prefer males, just because they seem more laid back and sweet. Unaltered males don't usually spray unless there's a female or another male close to them. Even then they don't always. In fact, I have one female I had to move because she was next to a male and she kept spraying!

don't have any yet just tryin to get set up first. but plan to try and get some fairly young ones. How old are they when people start selling the little ones? 6wks.? 8wks.? You're dealing with a total dummy here when it comes to rabbits. The only thing i know about rabbits is that my wife doesn't like em in the flower garden! LOL

I got mine at 3 and 4 weeks old but this is not recommended. My bunnies had been orphaned but they should stay with the mother a lot longer. Im thinking 8-12 weeks I am sure someone else knows more about the time frame than i do and will be along with a better answer.

How old is your granddaughter?

If she's under ten, I might shy away from babies. They're a lot of work, and even if she could be trusted alone with a baby bunny, her friends might not be as well behaved or gentle. If a baby were to be accidentally dropped, it could be really dangerous.

If she is young, I'd consider adopting a bigger adult rabbit that is hard to pick up so they're not tempted to and It's safer for everyone.

Back