New to rabbits, have a few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyger06

Reaction score
In the next year I am going to start getting intoshowing and breeding rabbits (have to sell our house and move first). Ihave been doing research for over a year now, but I have a few generalquestions for those rabbit experts out there.

[1] Besides doing 4-H, how can I find out about shows in my general area/state?

[2] When a doe is giving birth, do you normally like to stay with herand make sure nothing happens, or do you like to leave her alone to doit herself. I have heard of both ways from breeders, and am wonderingwhich is more preffered.

[3] Since I am custom building my cages, should I leave wire inbetweencages so the rabbits can smell each other, or should I block that off?I am thinking about building two seperate caging systems, one forfemales, one for males.

[4] How high do males normally spray? I am wanting to put up spray guards, but am not sure how high to make them.

[5] I read that 60-90% of all does around the age of 2 that are notfixed will get uterine cancer. Do you guys normally show the doessooner than the males, so that they can get some wins on them beforeyou breed them? Or do you only breed your females a few times total?

...I think that was all I wanted to know. If not you will be hearing from me again. :p

tyger06 wrote:
[5]I read that 60-90% of all does around the age of 2 that are not fixedwill get uterine cancer.
Huh?!?:shock::shock: Worried mommy here. Is this true?!?

tyger06 wrote:
[2] When a doe is giving birth, do you normally like to stay with herand make sure nothing happens, or do you like to leave her alone to doit herself. I have heard of both ways from breeders, and am wonderingwhich is more preffered.
They tend to give birth at night. If you are lucky enough towatch the delivery, you may want to check for "peanuts" and throw themout if you don't want to watch her eat 'em up. :p

Lissa wrote:
tyger06 wrote:
[5] I readthat 60-90% of all does around the age of 2 that are not fixed will getuterine cancer.
Huh?!? :shock::shock:Worried mommy here. Is this true?!?
I do believe the possibility is 1 in 4 after 4 years of age.

That said, I have raised healthy unaltered does beyond that age. I onlylost one to uterine cancer (possibly, it could also have been a stroke)at 9 + yrs. old. I know also that breeders do raise and breed does toan advanced age. One breeder I know bred an 8 yr old buck and a 9 yrold doe and got a large litter.

Re your question about males spraying...lolololol.....they spray atamazing heights, and they think it's really funny when you scream anddodge. Where do you want to put spray guards? I think it's inevitablethat you and most everything else in the cage and surrounding area willget sprayed. hehehe The best fix is to wear old clothes and grin andbear it. Many males are "dive bombers" who will come running at you,spray, and run off. Especially women.

Re cages: It depends. I have one brother and sister that sit side byside in their respective cages. They sit nose to nose and "talk". Thewire thing is good that way. But they also can share germs and pests,just like human siblings. They are happier because they can socialize,but you've got to decide a) whether they get along well b)whether apregnant doe/unaltered buckwould get defensive/stressed withneighbors nearby, and c) whether it's worth the risk of passing germs,etc.

For your question about does giving birth, I left mydoesalone and they did just great. But although I have raised rabbits foryears, I am not a breeder and have only raised a few litters--therefoream not an expert on that subject. I know that a local breederrecommended not touching the kitsuntil 2 wks. of age unlessto remove a dead kit. Which is the path I followed as the pregnant doedid not know me well (borrowed) and was pretty defensive. But I haveheard the opposite also.

Best of luck,

Rose

One breeder I know bred an 8 yr old buck and a 9 yr old doe and got a large litter.

For your question about does giving birth, I left mydoesalone and they did just great. But although I have raised rabbits foryears, I am not a breeder and have only raised a few litters--therefoream not an expert on that subject. I know that a local breederrecommended not touching the kitsuntil 2 wks. of age unlessto remove a dead kit.

The rerason an older Doe can kindle a large litter isbecause: Rabbits have/can create only so many eggs. That being thecase, a Doe who was not bred frequently is/may be able to have viablelitteres well into what we would perceive to be her golden years. Bucksis another story. My daughter had a ten year old Grand Champion DutchBuck that was bringing forth offspringeven atTenyears of age.

There is no reason in the world to not touch/handle the Kits evendirectly after kindling[birth] Infact it is for the best as you willspot any problems at the get-go. I handle my Dams offspring as soon asI am aware of their arrival. I like to count them and give them ageneral once over. Your local"Breeder" was mistaken. As always, JMPOalong with hundreds and maybe thousands of other breeders.Best of luckwith your Rabbits.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Well, in this case the doe was also huge and verydefensive, lol. I've been on the wrong end of her teeth and clawsbefore, so I was careful to look quick and disappear before I gotattacked. lol

The babies turned out fine in spite of everything. Thanks for advice! Iwould have handled them if the doe had been mine (I did, in fact, withmy doe Izzy's first litter, from day 3 or so), but thisonewas borrowed and rather skittish and aggressive. And experienced, shedid a great job.

But I think if I had another litter, I'd like to touch them sooner. I know Izzy didn't care, but I figured she was unusual.

Rose

I put bucks who spray in a low cage next to or onthe floor,Put ARBA in the search engine the american rabbit breedersassociation has the listing for the shows.bluebird

*feels extrememely pleased that Henry has never sprayed anywhere*

When do they start to do that? He's 5 months old now and hasnever done it. He hasn't tried mounting anyone yeteither. He is a really affectionate bunny too. He'snever bitten and only scratches (his nails are really sharp, Rex traitsupposedly) when he's resisting being picked up.

Will he start mounting, etc any time soon do you think? Ihope we get out of our rented housebefore he does, or we'llhave to pay for the wall papering! :?

Latest posts

Back