New to buns... is this an acceptable cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine from Target. They are now called like REorganize or something like that but the ones other the silver ones have grids that have bigger spacing and the bunnies can fit their heads through which isn't safe.

happatk...do u have a K-mart close to u?? I got mine there for 20.00 and it makes 6 cubes. I found at my Target they had some too but half of them were the large holed ones and the other half were the small holes...

Wal-Mart in Canada also sells them, that where I bought mine from. I assume that it'd be the dame in the US.

btw... the good news is that if you littertrain your bun you can let your bun have free roam of your room (once he/she is neutered/spayed), and everything had been bunny proofed!!

What if I combined this cage

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074864&lmdn=Pet+Type

or this cage

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753290&lmdn=Pet+Type

with this playpen

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751767

and this cover

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751770

I'd only use the cage for when I have to leave and go to class, but the rest of the time (or maybe even while I'm gone) I could let my future bun roam this playpen and have a good ol' time!:bunnydance:

It seems to be a better deal than those wire organizers, but I could be wrong.

I bought the 2nd cage for my first bunny. It's pretty big. I think that would be good with a gate around it. I did that too. Use the cage with a xpen. :)

Hello!

Looks like your trying to decide what kind of cage to purchase for your new rabbit? All I can tell you is I have spent alot of money on cages such as the ones you have in the picture. I have purchasedthe small version and large version of the petsmart rabbit cage. Thestore told me it will be enough roomfor a rabbit, and of course I didn't know any better then. Itwas not enough room and I ended up wasting money so I could upgrade to a larger home for Lucy.

I also bought that petsmart playpen that youasked about. It is nice, however it is not as big as you think, it was great for Lucy when she was a baby bun, however she grew quickly and there was no point to it.

I also purchased the Ware Manufacture indoor hutch with the extension from Petsmart. It is large, with plenty of ventilation, however the only thing I did not appreciate was the ramp. Obviously rabbits chew on just about everything, well my other two rabbits Pete and Belle, they chewed on the ramp. On the ramp, there is I think 4 small panels going across acting like steps, well they chewed these little steps, and the nails started to come through the ramp. I ended up having to tear the ramp off, and they had to jump into it and out of it. I ended up getting rid of that cage to! However it wasn't a loss cause because I used some of the material from that cage, to build my current cage for Lucy, soo it worked out!

The best thing you can do isfocus on potty training your rabbit right from the beginning, so you will not have to confine it to a small cage. They have to be able to roam (in my opinion) freely, hop, and binky! The cage youshow above, even the large one, is nice however they cannotrun or hop in that, they usually just end up sitting there. If you do end up deciding on a large petsmart cage, thenit is only fair to the rabbitthat you are going to allow it tospend hours outside of that cage, and I mean hours!! : )

I agree with PIP I think it was? Who said the cages petstores sell are close to being criminal! It is very true, there not in it though to provide wonderful homes for rabbits, there in it simply for profit.

For my rabbits, they live in cages 5 ft long x 2ft wide, and they are able to roam their rooms freely, however they are potty trained. You can see them in the cage/construction section. I do like the cube cages though because you can keep adding on, and have levels!

Good Luck, let us know what you end up doing!!

Try looking at dog kennels, thier about the same price as the cages you're looking for but roomier. Then you can add a playpen around it. NIC panels would make a good playpen (and cheaper) wall that folds up.

I have a personal opinion that one of the reasons stores will sell those crappy little cages is to help perpetuate the idea that buns are cute, clean, carefree, easy to take care animals...it....trys to hide what someone should know and take serious....
One thing I always say to people who cage animals continually...how would you like it if I stuck you in your bedroom and never let you out? How crazy would you go...I really don't think it is all that different for animals of any sort...
I don't know if I explained myself well..but I think the cages help to tell a lie..

The NIC cubes I think rock...if I had/have a bun that could free roam without issue I would allow it...but like with Simon...he was too much a danger to himself and my tv if left unattended so I penned him when I couldn't watch him...but I always tried to make it as big as was workable...

If you don't have width...do you have height? Perhaps you could create some sort of pen with ramps and ledges that goes up so your bun could move more then in a tiny spot...I dunno...just trying to think of an idea that might help...

I have regular petstore cages, they stay in when unattended and for overnight.
Is it acceptable if i let them out 3 times a day, 30 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes at lunch and several hours at night.
They get free range of the house.

happatk wrote:
What if I combined this cage

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074864&lmdn=Pet+Type

or this cage

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753290&lmdn=Pet+Type

with this playpen

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751767

and this cover

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751770

I'd only use the cage for when I have to leave and go to class, but the rest of the time (or maybe even while I'm gone) I could let my future bun roam this playpen and have a good ol' time!:bunnydance:

It seems to be a better deal than those wire organizers, but I could be wrong.

I have that play pen and I like it for the most part. I had Bayou penned in one for a few weeks when I moved and he seemed okay in it. I use NIC now and I love it.

The Super Pet GIANT cage is perfectly acceptable cage for rabbits. It's the only pet store cage I will ever recommend for rabbits. A standard 2x3 cube cage is 28" wide by 42" long. SP Giant is 24" wide by 47" long.

My 3-4lbs bunnies do really well in the SP Giant cage...I think they like them better then their NIC cages, now. You just need to make sure you cover the shelf & floor with grass mats or fleece...so the bunny has traction.

Now...will I recommend the SP Giant for rabbits over 6-7lbs? No, I will not! I think rabbits being 5lbs or under are okay in this cage, especially with run-time.

The cage is practically the same size, actually longer, then a standard 2x3 NIC cage....so there is no reason why rabbits can't be in the SP Giant cage.

I have the second one for my rabbit. Shes a lionhead, which is one of the smallest breeds. To be honest its a tighter squeeze than I expected. I adopted her and it came free with her, but I always leave her door open when I'm home so she can hop out. She seems to actually really like her cage (she scampers back to it and hops in quite a lot) but It wouldn't work if she didnt have a lot of free time.

I use hers as "her special space" but not to actually confine her. Otherwise even I (who has next to no experience with rabbits) would think she needed more space. After you stick a hiding hut and a litter box in there theres not much left.

If I had it to do over again I would just have bought a playpen and left the door open or bought an inexpensive metal dog crate. They are cheaper for the money, and larger.

Pipp wrote:
The Target page also lists this one:

Whitmor Set of 4 Storage Cubes - Black (14")

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E4bOkOqmL._AA400_.jpg

These are the ones we used to build Delilah's condo. We needed to modify it a bit and shave down some corners to be flat so bun does not hurt herself on them. The cage is sturdy and 2 floors and Miss.D (as I call her) loves it. The one's from Target that is.

:wave:

i don't know if you guys have it but walmart sells them. i think you guys just have a k-mart, which is the same idea. and what is your version of a canadian tire?

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Generally, wire bottoms are not recommended.
Depends who you talk to.:) I prefer wire bottoms because I've found that they keep the rabbit cleaner and also provide more air flow to the bunny. Especially with a Holland Lop or Jersey Wooly, which are breeds that have well furred feet- the wire would not bother them.

The picture of the original cage did not come up for me, so I'm not sure how it was otherwise. But I'd recommend at least a 24"x24" cage for either a Holland Lop or a Jersey Wooly.

I got my NIC cube things at Target, but that was before they changed the design. Now, most of the panels in the box (all colors, including silver) have larger holes. My Holland Lop would be able to fit his head through the larger holes. Some people have made those work, buy using the large-hole panels for the top, etc, where the bunny can't reach. To make a decent-sized pen, though, you would need several boxes to get enough of the smaller-hole panels.

I also recommend checking into dog exercise pens. On the plus side, they can be configured to fit different areas, and aren't really too expensive. On the negative side, some people don't like the way they look, and some bunnies can jump out of the lower pens. (My rescue currently has a bunny that can jump over a 36" pen. :eek:)

My foster bunny (Netherland Dwarf) is in an exercise pen, and he's got plenty of room for his litter box, food/water, some toys, and a house to hide in. He does not chew carpet, but sometimes has accidents outside his litter box (he just recently learned to use it), so for flooring he has a small piece of plywood which is covered with a bath towel and a small area rug. (My other bunnies chew carpet, so I use coroplast for them.)

I can't see the cage. :( There are many different ways to properly house your rabbit. Not just one. house your rabbit. they all work. You can use a large or small cage,(wire or plastic) and the rabbit will be just fine. Minimum space for a small rabbit should be at least 18x24 inches (assuming you have small rabbits). Wire grid cages are actually much better for them because rabbits can be messy, and will soil themselves on solid floored cages. Plus there is the risk of them getting sore hocks(yes they get them on solid floors, and carpets too). the are easy to clean, keep the rabbit much cleaner, and are not hard on their feet like some think. they put very little pressure on their feet when it comes to sitting on the surface anyhow. You can always provide a plastic or grass mat for the rabbit to sit on. I keep all my rabbits in wire cages, and rarely have any problems with them.

If you do go with a cc cage, those are good too. Make sure the floor is something they can't slip on.

Sometimes you can find the cc grids real cheap at goodwill. i like to buy them when I can find them, and make yard pens out of them for my breeding and pet rabbits to run around in.

Latest posts

Back