New to buns... is this an acceptable cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cage would be too small. The carrier looks fine. Could you make a NIC cage? That would best and you could make 2 stories and design it the way you want. :)

IMG_0424.jpg

NIC cage for my 2 bonded bunnies.

I was just browsing the forums and saw those! This would be perfect! I just need to find those little organizer cubes... I'll keep an eye out for them when I go shopping next time.

I wouldn't recommend that cage, in my opinion it's too small. A really great sized cage you can order through Petsmart online is the Giant Super Pet cage. It measures 46.5" L x 24" W x 24" with a base of 8" deep. It works well for litter box or non litter box trained rabbits.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753350

Here is Amber in the cage linked above. :bunny24

DSCF0008.jpg

Coroplast. Its hard plastic. I put cardboard down for traction and they like to chew it. You can find it at a sign shop. I gota 4x8 sheet for like $12.50

The cage is too small. Generally, wire bottoms are not recommended.
NIC cages are great. Most people use Chloroplast (basically plastic cardboard) for the bottom with something on top for traction and to sleep on.

The carrier would work. I prefer hard sided ones. Small cat carriers work well. You can usually find some used ones on classifieds websites like Craigslist.

That Petsmart cage is pretty gorgeous, too! The only downside is that it will take up a huge corner of my room (my mom doesn't want to see my rabbits outside of my room, unfortunately), but I can make it work and I want what's best for my future bun-bun.:bunnydance:<- I love this little guy! :D

I might go with the Petsmart cage because the closest Bed, Bath, and Beyond to me is quite far away, and I can't find those cubes online for a reasonable price. I'll keep looking, but the Petsmart cage is reasonably priced, I think, and I can get all the food, bowls, litterboxes, etc. shipped with it for no extra cost. Convenient? Very.

Happi Bun wrote:
I wouldn't recommend that cage, in my opinion it's too small. A really great sized cage you can order through Petsmart online is the Giant Super Pet cage. It measures 46.5" L x 24" W x 24" with a base of 8" deep. It works well for litter box or non litter box trained rabbits.

Happi Bun, sorry, but I can't recommend your cage either, but its obviously better than the first 'mouse' cage -- although I'm not sure I'd torture a poor little mouse with a cage that small either. Maybe with modifications.

What pet stores seems to think is acceptable for rabbits is almost criminal. Actually, it should be criminal.

The rabbit needs to be able to hop to exercise, and not just shuffle a few feet, thus a shelf of some kind is essential.

So is a covered area to make them feel secure. And they should never be lifted out, they should be able to hop out on their own.

The cube shelving cages are 100 times better than any pet store cage I've seen. Really happy you're going that route.

sas :bunnydance:

happatk wrote:
I was just browsing the forums and saw those! This would be perfect! I just need to find those little organizer cubes... I'll keep an eye out for them when I go shopping next time.

Building a NIC cage would be your best route, for sure! Even better than the cage I listed.
My Dunkin is in a 2x3x2 NIC cage and it's wonderful. :thumbup

April, I found the NIC panels at BBB online for $14.99! I don't know what's going on with the stores in NY/NJ, I can't seem to find NICs in store anywhere here, not in any of the stores people have suggested. I'm going to play around with the shopping cart and see if I can't figure out a reasonable price... I have a 20% off 1 item coupon online.

OK, I added my location.

I'm assuming that all the cubes you're suggesting would be acceptable to build a cage out of? The only problem I had with the one that I suggested was that it looked like the walls of the cubes were cloth (?!), which I'm pretty sure a determined bunny could chew through.

happatk wrote:
OK, I added my location.

I'm assuming that all the cubes you're suggesting would be acceptable to build a cage out of? The only problem I had with the one that I suggested was that it looked like the walls of the cubes were cloth (?!), which I'm pretty sure a determined bunny could chew through.

No, only the wire cubes are good. Solid plastic doesn't allow airflow, and cloth, as you say, won't hold a rabbit.

Just make sure the holes are all small. They're selling some shelving with larger holes for the back panels, but they're large enough for a small rabbit to stick its head out and get stuck.

I *think* the Whitmore brand is okay, and I'm sure there are others at Target. Maybe JadeIcing can confirm this, she's staff.

http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-S...s=right-1&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=5101

sas :bunnydance:

I actually just remembered that since these cages are the same as the C&C cages guinea pig owners make, my friend (who has made such a cage for her guineas) could probably tell me where to get the supplies locally. D'oh, I'm slow.

Latest posts

Back