New to bunnies, need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimJ1981

Reaction score
Hi, my family is looking into purchasing two bunnies, Holland Lops.
I'm not in a hurry so I've spent some time researching.
I'm wondering if it's better to get two males, or a female and male?
Also, do they have to be kept separate until they're fixed?

Firstly, well done for doing your research beforehand - if only everyone did this!
Usually a fixed male and female pair works best, but even then there are no guarantees. The best thing to do is to get two already fixed and bonded bunnies, or get one bunny, get it fixed and then let it meet other fixed bunnies until they pick their own buddy - sometimes the pairings we choose don't always work out, and if they just wont be friends then you are stuck with two separate bunnies in two separate enclosures! Yes you absolutely need to keep them apart until they are fixed.

Getting two intact (not fixed) rabbits is not advised. If you want two rabbits to start with, it is always best to get two that are already bonded and already fixed. You can find such bonded pairs at rabbit rescues (different than generic shelters).

If you go with young rabbits (again, not advised) then it is best to get only one to start. Once that one has been fixed, then it can meet other fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility.

The problem with getting two young ones with the intention of fixing them later, is that there is always the real possibility that they will refuse to bond. This (which we've seen many times on RO) is unfortunate because the owners spend hundreds of dollars getting the rabbits fixed in hopes of them bonding and then are greatly disappointed if the rabbits refuse to bond. It is just a gamble. If you are ok with ending up having to house each rabbit separately for the next 10 years or are ok with looking for other bondmates for each rabbit (and still keeping the originals very separate or it can interfere with a new bond), then it would be ok to start with two young ones. But, still, young rabbits -- even single -- aren't really ideal for a first-time bunny owner. Young babies can have mushy, sticky poo. They can change drastically with the onset of hormones, getting grumpy, lunging, growling, biting, and spraying urine on you and on your belongings. They don't train more easily and they won't be more likely to be held. It is a myth that holding young babies often makes them like it when they are older.

Ideally, a first rabbit (or first pair) should be one that is already fixed. Then you get to see their true temperament and choose an agreeable personality.

EDIT: Just saw your last post that posted while I was typing.
No. Being from the same litter in no way means they will bond. All babies get along when young but that all changes with the onset of hormones. Even siblings can fight viciously when that happens. Be aware that those selling often try to convince you that you should get two but that just makes them sell quicker and make more profit. It isn't in the rabbits' best interest. Only fixed rabbit may bond. But each rabbit can be very picky about what other rabbit they will accept.

Latest posts

Back