New to bunnies - introductions to each other

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooloovoo

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new to bunnies, and I'm looking in to getting my first pair. I have decided to get a buck and a doe, and have them both spayed/neutered. I have already picked out my buck - a young (about 8-10 week old) Holland lop, and I have a few options for does. (The ones I'm looking at are all 6 months old or younger). My question is - do I try to get them both at the same time, so they adapt to each other and the new environment together? (separate cages until one is altered) Or do I bring home the buck, get him settled in and neutered, then bring in a doe in a couple months? Or does it really matter with the ages I'm working with?

i adopted my male bunny in jan 2009 (of a kid who had to much homework to look after rabbit) in dec 2009 i got fluff a female rabbit, fluff was castrated at the vets 2 wks earlier, i got the female from the local rabbit sanctuary & she was a little nervous of her new surroundings what happened for a few wks was fluff was chasing the female around like tom & jerry i started to segregate them, then slowly but surely the chasing stopped & they became good friends,they have Never bit each other they lick each other they are good companions not inseparable just friends & that was what i was looking for cause my fluff looked lonely before dutch (the female ) came along,they have been together now over 3 yrs, they are my friends my rabbits i have a lot of respect for them & i wish them good luck in the future . i am 40 now & these are my first pets i have ever had, the internet will help if you have any queries websites like this one..:bunny19

If you want a bonded pair, it's best to get a pair that is already bonded. With your plan, if you get the buck first, then get him neutered, there's no telling who he will accept for a bondmate. If you've already chosen a girl, and they decide to not get along, then you will be stuck housing them separately. Bonding occurs after they are fixed. Even the snuggliest bunnies can become bitter enemies once hormones kick in and/or after they are fixed.
The "baby bonds" don't by any means ensure a bond once fixed.

So, if you want to get one buck first, it would be best to wait until he's neutered and then go on "bunny dates" with spayed females so he can choose who he likes. This is the easiest way to find a possible match if you already have one rabbit.

But if you already know you want a pair, just get an already spayed/neutered bonded pair.

A scenario like the one described by the poster above is the exception, not the rule. Sometimes one gets lucky in choosing compatible bunnies.

Last edited:
I agree with blue eyes. Maybe do some searching on here about bonding. It is a pretty tedious affair :) I do believe rabbits enjoy a companion but it is a bit of a process. It can be stressful. I think being as proactive about it as possible is the best way to go about it.

The "bond" rabbits may have before they are altered may not really be a bond at all. Then, the surgery and being separated can actually cause conflict between the two.

I would say if you really want a bonded pair either adopt an already bonded pair OR bring one rabbit home, fix him/her and then bunny date with already altered buns. The best match is m/f.

Lastly to echo what blue eyes said, you might have success doing it another way, just be prepared for more of a challenge OR having to house buns seperately if they don't bond.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back