New to bunnies and litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfisher74

Reaction score
Trying to train my two month old lop and not having good luck.I keep Clyde in the house in a outdoor hutch that has a plastic pan for a floor.So im asking should i keep litter in all of the cage or just in the litter pan?Today i just put the pan where the hay is on one side and the food on the other.Also he wont chew on the wood blocks so wondering what else to use since i dont want to have to get his teethe ground down.

When litter training a rabbit I only keep litter in the litter box. This allows for easy cleaning of the cage floor.

When the bunny makes an accident on the floor, I soak it up with tissue or paper towel and place that in the litter box. I then use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water to spray down the accident spot and wipe clean. This keeps the cage floor smelling clean and the litter box smelling like a bathroom.

Rabbit's don't really need to chew on anything to keep their teeth the correct length. If a rabbit's teeth are aligned properly, they will grind down on themselves. The most important thing to keeping a rabbit's teeth the correct length is hay. Chewing hay makes a rabbit grind their teeth in the correct motion to keep everything the correct length and shape.

Some rabbits will get spurs or have teeth issues no matter what because their teeth just don't line up properly. However, eating lots of hay will still help those bunnies with badly lined up teeth.

-Dawn

I just also wanted to mention that litter training can take patient sometimes. Some bunnies will pick up litter training in a couple of days and others will take weeks.

When I'm litter training, I'm cleaning the cage multiple times a day. The more ontop of catching and cleaning pee accidents, the faster I find they catch on.

Also, if the rabbit already has a spot they like to pee in, put the litter box there.

-Dawn

Latest posts

Back