New Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopeful.Mii

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently got a rabbit (last friday). He's completely black, supposedly a "dwarf lop" so I'm assuming it's actually a mini-lop...and supposedly "one month" old...(that's the info the petshop gave me :p)

So we didn't buy a cage yet, but we had like..those metal grid rack things you put up (not the NIC cubes...I should be buying those soon to make a cage) and we did a sort of huge corner for Choco (the rabbit) to run around in.

The first day, Choco was still getting used to the place, and then the next few days Choco wouldn't let us get near it (it would run away). Then 3 days ago, Choco climbed on a heater and got out of the little space we provided it...so we put a fourth one near the wall so it couldn't climb out. And we have these sort of grid plastic 4 sided cube things, so at night we put Choco in two of those so that there would be place for the litter box, which Choco had been using quite well already suprisingly (I thought it would take more time, but Choco used it right from the second day!)...but then in the morning I woke up to find Choco peed and pooped everywhere BUT the litter box.

After that, we started watching Choco more carefully when letting him out (to make sure Choco couldn't escape) and Choco is very friendly now, it lets everyone pet it, it climbs on my lap constantly and runs around me in circles (although it worries me how it runs normally then suddenly speeds up n like...falls..or sometimes it runs right into the little grid thing... o_O;). Then i left and put Choco back int eh little plastic grid things (it's a way smaller space by the way)...and then when my dad got back home apparently Choco had run out from the GARAGE (we keep him in the living room downstairs)...and just stood there to greet my dad, and even let him pet it.

So we figured out that Choco could suddenly JUMP over the fence, and could push out heavy things. So we put him in the plastic cage thing again, and we put a heave thing over it...but now he's starting to pee all over the place again

It's really weird because when I'm watching Choco, it goes to it's litterbox to pee and poop, and then hops out once it's done..but when I leave it in a small space it just..goes crazy...could this be because it's upset or something?

Is there something I can do to alleviate the situation? I'm getting really tired of scraping poo off my floor..and cleaning pee off it too. Obviously I'm gonna get a cage (I'm thinking about making one from creative cubes) but I don't want Choco to be pooping and peeing all around in the cage either...

I don't know if this is relevant to why Choco's behavior is like that, but just in case, we feed Choco animal pellets (the one from the petstore), along with pieces of carrots, celeri, celeri leaves, broccoli, radish leaves and romaine salad...Choco seems to prefer celeri leaves, broccoli, radish leaves and salad over carrots and celeri...

Also, another question is..We put a waterbowl for Choco..and sometimes Choco drinks from it normally..but sometimes Choco puts half it's body in it resulting in a very wet bunny and a very wet floor as well. Why is Choco doing this?

:( I'm sorry for the long post :/ I hope to get some nice advice here ^^ Thanks

PS: Choco's completely healthy by the way...runs around very happily..the only thing I've noticed is poop stuck on it's butt, but it's not wet, it's completley dry, its like its hair wraps around the poop n sticks it there n we have to like unknot it n take it out...Oh! also his nails are getting long or something...I don't know, whenever Choco jumps on my lap sometimes I can feel the claws digging into me and it kind of stings...but my mom's kind of relunctant to trimming them because she says it's unnatural...What should I do?

Congrats on the new addition to your family! Choco is still a baby and since he came from a pet shop he probably is pretty clueless about litter box training. Rabbit's usually take to it quickly, some more than others, but guidance is typically required for them to get it down properly. Spaying/Neutering generally makes the process much easier, but Choco still has a ways to go before that can safely happen.

Here is a great article on everything you need to know about litter training a bunny.

FAQ: Litter Training

It sounds like he doesn't like small spaces. Is he thumping his hind leg when you put him in the small space? He's annoyed at you if he does that.

To cut his nails, and you can do this by yourself, I found it was easiest to put them on their back, and take a small pair of clippers. Then, clip them like a cat's nails. He may fight, but after a few minutes, both of mine gave up the struggle.

Good luck on your new bun!

Here are some links from the San Diego House Rabbit Society that might be helpful in getting you set up with your new rabbit:
-- Rabbit Supply List
-- Diet Recommendations
-- Setting Up Your Bunny's Litterbox
-- Examples of Cage Set-ups

And this is a good post about clipping your bunny's nails with an illustration of the quick: Clipping Your Bunny's Nails

I included a link about diet recommendations because you didn't mention providing unlimited access to hay for your bunny, which is very important to do. Also, carrots are considered "treats" because of their high sugar content, so feed them sparingly.

As for the water bowl, maybe the bunny is leaning over the lip too much and gets himself wet by accident? I don't know if he's intentionally trying to get wet. Make sure the water level isn't too low. Switching over to a water bottle when you get a cage is also a good solution to keeping your bunny dry.

Hope that helps!

Wah ^^ Thanks for all the quick responses,

I didn't buy hay because there is some in the pellets the petstore made me buy...Should I still buy some though??

Choco doesn't like carrots anyways..is it normal that it doesn't like eating anything hard (like carrots or the actual celeri or middle of salad leaf)? I thought hard things was good for their teeth...?

And I've seen the bunny drink from it normally but sometimes it just decides to put it's two front feet in and drink...=/

He (I'm not sure what gender Choco is but I don't want to call it "it" anymore) doesn't thump when I constrict him to smaller spaces..just poops n pees everywhere like every two seconds..but like today my mom bought a little bell we put around his neck (she's scared he might get lost somewhere int he house and we can't find him) and she let him walk around the house complete access to everything but our garage (slightly dangerous in there...).

He doesn't poop or pee outside of his litterbox now...but we can't keep him out at night because my dad sleeps on the floor and so do I (more comfortable then beds...LOL...i know it sounds weird).

And after he explored the whole house now he just kinds of stays near either my dad's feet or mine if I'm in the room..and doesn't try to jump or anything..

Anyhow..what do I do about his pooping and peeing all over the place when we put him in a smaller space? He obviously knows he should go in the litterbox, but he chooses not to when we put him in a smaller space.

Also..that nail trimming looks really..scary. My mom says she never trimmed her cat's nails. We tried putting Choco on his back once because he had poop on his ass (once again..not wet, really dry actually, and kind of like rolled up in his fur) but he kept fighting to get out and I'm scared of holding him back because I read that this could actually break his back? Is this true?

Thanks ^^

I hardly ever trust what people at pet stores say.
I would suggest that you get some hay so that your bunny can eat it any time it wants. People typically allow unlimited access to it, like Jam said. :)

Some rabbits just do not like carrots or celery, but does he eat his pellets? If he's not eating hard stuff, including the pellets, then I'd be concerned. But if he isn't used to eating vegetables, I'd try to slowly introduce them to him. Only give him a little, and then as time goes on you can increase the amount. But if he's only a month old, I'd feed vegetables sparingly. (Shouldn't rabbits be 8 weeks before leaving their mother?)

I'm not really sure why he decides to poop everywhere when he's in a small space. How small IS the space? Maybe he doesn't like being confined and he's telling you with his poop and pee, lol.

And rabbits can kick hard enough to brake their own back, so it is advisable to be careful, but if you really need to keep his nails, I think he'll get used to it eventually and learn that it's quick and painless. (If done right!) I suppose just try to be gentle. But then again, I've never had to deal with this, so I'm sure someone else could give you better advice.

You are getting all sorts of great advice here...

I cur my bunnies nails for the first time recently, and although I was scared of the idea for months it was actually really easy. so I encourage you to do your research and give it a try if you feel okay about it.

I just have one concern that hasn't been mentioned... you said your mum put a bell on Choco, is this a bell on a collar? I believe this is a bad idea for rabbits, I suggest you remove this from him. They can choke or get hurt... If you are worried about not knowing where he is then maybe you should restrict the area that he has access to, give him one or two rooms rather than the whole house. just a suggestion :)

oh and if you can we would love to see some pics! then we might be able to give you an idea if he does look 1 month old or not. and also we just love rabbit pics here!

I would definitely buy hay. As he is still young, you can give alflafa, but I would also offer timothy. Hay wears down the back teeth and helps keep the GI tract moving. The hay meal in pellets does provide fibre, but any of the other benefits of loose hay.

I can understand that you want to know where he is when he is out, but having things around a rabbit neck can be dangerous. It could get caught on something and strangle him. There are harnesses that have bells on them that would be safer. You should only have it on when he is out.

Nail clipping is not very hard. It can help to wrap him in a towel so he can't struggle. A small pillow on your lap can also help to give him a flat surface to lay on. You can work with him on laying on his back. If you are confidant handling him, he will not fuss as much. Stroking his face when he is on his back can put him in a 'trance', which helps too.

You've gotten some great follow-up responses. I'll add that it's a good idea to find a rabbit-savvy vet in your area. Better to find one now than scramble to find one in an emergency. You can take him in an for an initial visit to make sure he's healthy and the vet should also be able to determine the gender for you. Either the vet or one of the vet techs can probably show you and your mom how to clip the bunny's nails while you're there too.

Here's the RO link of suggested vets:
RO Ontario and Eastern Canada Vet Listings

My male didn't like carrots either until I got my female, then he magically just started eating them lol.

With the water, it sounds like when he puts his front feet in, the water level may be too low, and he can't reach it. If he keeps getting wet, try a hanging bottle.

Also, hay is a necessity along with the pellets. I rarely trust what the pet store people say. I do my research because they most likely haven't.

Good luck with finding a rabbit-savvy vet. It's important because most other places won't treat a bun in an emergency. I know, I've tried.

^^ Thanks for all the answers in such a short time :)

So I went out to look for Hay today at the petstore, and I realized there are several types..? So I didn't buy any yet because I thought it'd b smarter to ask..theres something like field hay..and alfalfa and then theres this last one =.= I forgot what its called...because I'm a genius and didn't write it down.

Is it really dangerous for Choco to have a collar on? :/ Because he seemed disturbed by it for like, less than a minute, and now he doesn't even react whether we take it off or on.

I have a list of vets from Montreal area already that treat rabbits...the prices are insane though. I didn't realized it'd be this expensive XD

I'll definitively post pics up as soon as I buy batteries for my camera ^^

Choco is driving me crazy though. He definitively does not poop or pee anywhere in the house when we let him out, but as soon as we put him in the cage (yeah, I built one now out of creative cubes)...he poops every like one step OUTSIDE of the litterbox, or I was looking at him and he hopped in, and out, and in, and out of the litterbox before peeing like a hop away from the box.

>.> I'm starting to think he's doing this to rebel against me :(...

I'm really scared of trying to trim his nails though..like they hurt me whenever he hops onto my lap (maybe I'm just oversensitive though? I'm the only one that complains about it in my family..lol..). We tried putting him on his back and he still fights back and I'm not quite sure yet wheres the maximum I should hold him back to so I'm still kind of..sketchy about putting him on his back.

:/..

Ooh! and New questions..

I bought litter for the litterbox..out of recycled paper because I read that other kinds could be dangerous. So they were selling two types, One that looked like cottony..the salesguy told me it was like cardboard, and one was like lil strings of paper that was folded to be all springy... I bought that one for now since the guy told me that he's seen it work before (apparently they used it at that petstore)...but I'm not sure if I made the right decision?

Also... I almost finished the cage yesterday, I put him in (the actual cage is done, all that's left is tying it to the wood for the base, so for now it's just on my floor). And today I realized...he can climb up like..a whole grid. like CLIMB...as in he stands, puts his paws in two holes n like lift himself up and get his backfeet into holes as well, but then he falls off. He won't be able to climb higher than that though right...?

And at one point, he got his head stuck in a hole...I don't know..I got the idea to use creative cubes from the internet but i've never come across the issue of rabbit's heads getting stuck through one of the holes of the grid. He got it out though, after much work...and hasn't done it again yet..but I'm kind of worried? Like what if he "climbs up" and gets his head stuck..and like dies while I'm not there :/... Do you know if this could happen or am I just being crazy paranoid >.>

And I've seen so many things about rabbit that said that alot of people didn't like them as pets because they're boring and don't do anything..but from what I'm seeing from Choco..they're really hyper..and never stop moving..and omg XD LOL..is this normal? Is it because he's young?

^^ I hope I can post pics soon =)

Thanks for all the help by the way
And I NEVER INTRODUCED MYSELF!

I'm Mii ^^ I'm 19. I also own 1 betta fish in a 50 gallon tank (I used to have 2 of them, but one recently died and I was very much sad about it..which is why my parents were relunctant to get me a rabbit..because they said that since I cried almost a whole day for a fish, they're worried about how I'd react if and well..when choco dies).

This is all very new to me, I used to love animals when I was like, 5, but then I started getting scared of everything that moved, and now I'm starting to see that there's nothing to be scared of. I'm still scared of dogs though =/ mainly their teeth scare me. And cats. Unless it's those fat lazy cats that don't move..because they don't move LOL.

OOh, Choco is actually my brother's rabbit, I'm waiting on a dwarf hotot =/ ^^ but I love Choco nonetheless!

And yep =) That's me!

^^ NICE TO MEET U :)

Depuis vous habitez a Montreal vous parlez francais?

How big are the grid panels? If you got big panels you may have to cover them with wire until he is big enough that his head doesn't fit through or purchase smaller panels.

I would not tie the floor to the walls because it makes it easier to clean if you can just lift the walls off the floor.

If he's peeing inside his cage then he probably thinks his cage is a giant litterbox. You can try restricting him to his cage for several days until he thinks of it as his home and then he will only pee in his box.

On the dward hotot subject, they have a reputation for being mean so make sure you get a friendly one.

I feed my buns alfalfa, then they have timothy hay pellets so when they move to the timothy hay when they turn 8 months, they have the taste and will eat it.

The smaller breeds are more hyper. I don't know if yours is so much a smaller breed (I've never seen a dwarf lop). I have to dwarfs, and they're both very active. Especially when they're out. People who say buns are boring and don't do anything may have some preconceptions about rabbits already. My mother told me that rabbits are dirty and they smell and that they're these nasty little creatures. I haven't had that experience. You just have to have a rabbit to understand.

My female has been eating her litter, so I've switched to putting hay in the litter box so she doesn't eat too much of the other litter, which was recycled paper. I was afraid she would eat too much, and get a blockage. They tend to munch on their litter, and to lay in the box.

Hopeful.Mii wrote:
^^ Thanks for all the answers in such a short time :)

So I went out to look for Hay today at the petstore, and I realized there are several types..? So I didn't buy any yet because I thought it'd b smarter to ask..theres something like field hay..and alfalfa and then theres this last one =.= I forgot what its called...because I'm a genius and didn't write it down.

Alfalfa should be fine for him for now. When he gets to be about 6 months old, you should switch to timothy or other grass hays. You can give timothy now along with alfalfa. Meadow hay should be ok too.

Is it really dangerous for Choco to have a collar on? :/ Because he seemed disturbed by it for like, less than a minute, and now he doesn't even react whether we take it off or on.

It's not a matter of him being fine wearing it, it is a safety hazard. I would buy a harness with a bell on it. Once you get more comfortable with him being out, you won't fell the need to have anything on him anyway.

I have a list of vets from Montreal area already that treat rabbits...the prices are insane though. I didn't realized it'd be this expensive XD

Rabbits are considered 'exotic' pets, so the vets are expensive. You should ask about their range of prices as some might be more expensive for a check up, but cheaper for other things. Location and if you actually like the vet matter too.

I'll definitively post pics up as soon as I buy batteries for my camera ^^

Choco is driving me crazy though. He definitively does not poop or pee anywhere in the house when we let him out, but as soon as we put him in the cage (yeah, I built one now out of creative cubes)...he poops every like one step OUTSIDE of the litterbox, or I was looking at him and he hopped in, and out, and in, and out of the litterbox before peeing like a hop away from the box.

>.> I'm starting to think he's doing this to rebel against me :(...

As he is still young, litter training can take time. If he isn't neutered yet, he could also be claiming it as his. Just be happy that he is only doing it in the cage and not all over the house. If he has a smaller area, he should just use the litter box.

I'm really scared of trying to trim his nails though..like they hurt me whenever he hops onto my lap (maybe I'm just oversensitive though? I'm the only one that complains about it in my family..lol..). We tried putting him on his back and he still fights back and I'm not quite sure yet wheres the maximum I should hold him back to so I'm still kind of..sketchy about putting him on his back.

:/..

Ooh! and New questions..

I bought litter for the litterbox..out of recycled paper because I read that other kinds could be dangerous. So they were selling two types, One that looked like cottony..the salesguy told me it was like cardboard, and one was like lil strings of paper that was folded to be all springy... I bought that one for now since the guy told me that he's seen it work before (apparently they used it at that petstore)...but I'm not sure if I made the right decision?

I would try to find a litter that is in pellet form. You can get paper ones or wood ones. Both are safe for rabbits. Most of the stuff marketed for rabbits and other small animals is over priced. You can get a 40 pound bag of horse stall bedding at a feed store for about $6 and it would last you several months with 1 rabbit.
You might need to experiment with different litter to find what works for you.

Also... I almost finished the cage yesterday, I put him in (the actual cage is done, all that's left is tying it to the wood for the base, so for now it's just on my floor). And today I realized...he can climb up like..a whole grid. like CLIMB...as in he stands, puts his paws in two holes n like lift himself up and get his backfeet into holes as well, but then he falls off. He won't be able to climb higher than that though right...?

Rabbits can climb the grids. It is important to have a top so he can't get out and hurt himself. Giving him toys and stuff in the cage can help keep him busy. One of my rabbits climbed 2 grids high, so they can do it.

And at one point, he got his head stuck in a hole...I don't know..I got the idea to use creative cubes from the internet but i've never come across the issue of rabbit's heads getting stuck through one of the holes of the grid. He got it out though, after much work...and hasn't done it again yet..but I'm kind of worried? Like what if he "climbs up" and gets his head stuck..and like dies while I'm not there :/... Do you know if this could happen or am I just being crazy paranoid >.>

A couple brands of the cubes have made them with larger holes. These are dangerous fro rabbits as they can get stuck. The regular size of the grids is 14"X14" and have 9 holes on each size (81 total). The ones with larger holes only have 4 or 5 holes on each side. You can put some wire mesh around the grids so he can't get out. If he is just small and can fit though the holes, put the mesh around until he gets bigger.

And I've seen so many things about rabbit that said that alot of people didn't like them as pets because they're boring and don't do anything..but from what I'm seeing from Choco..they're really hyper..and never stop moving..and omg XD LOL..is this normal? Is it because he's young?

People think rabbits are boring because they just leave it in a cage all day. If you were stuck in a small room all day with nothing to do you would look 'boring' too.
Rabbits can be active. They love to run around, explore, play with toys and interact with people.
Choco might mellow out a bit as he gets older, but he should still be active. I have a 4.5 year old rabbit who still runs in circles around the coffee table and can race through an agility course.

^^ I hope I can post pics soon =)
:pinkbouce:
Thanks for all the help by the way
And I NEVER INTRODUCED MYSELF!

I'm Mii ^^ I'm 19. I also own 1 betta fish in a 50 gallon tank (I used to have 2 of them, but one recently died and I was very much sad about it..which is why my parents were relunctant to get me a rabbit..because they said that since I cried almost a whole day for a fish, they're worried about how I'd react if and well..when choco dies).

This is all very new to me, I used to love animals when I was like, 5, but then I started getting scared of everything that moved, and now I'm starting to see that there's nothing to be scared of. I'm still scared of dogs though =/ mainly their teeth scare me. And cats. Unless it's those fat lazy cats that don't move..because they don't move LOL.

OOh, Choco is actually my brother's rabbit, I'm waiting on a dwarf hotot =/ ^^ but I love Choco nonetheless!

And yep =) That's me!

^^ NICE TO MEET U :)

J'habite a Montreal depuis naissance :) Et oui, je parle tres bien francais, Lol, mais mieux l'anglais puisque je suis allee au cegep en anglais ^^

If I don't tie the grids to the wood though would Choco eventually be able to push the whole thing or something? >.>;...

My parents have these weird..umm things. I told them we should keep Choco in the cage until hes littertrained, but they say its cruel and how would I like it if I was in my room all day =.= So behind my back they keep bringing him out >_>...

and they also =.= don't want to get the rabbit sterilized. Because it's "mean" and I told them if we don't then we might end up with like a gazillion rabbits, and they told me we'll just keep the rabbit separated unless we're there =.=

I read somewhere that a cat collar would be okay though (like the type that can't get off their heads but if it gets stuck on something it'll just slip off easily). Hold on ^^ here's the link:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080201164633AAu7CoI

The answer came from an ARBA member...isn't that like some big rabbit association?

The grids are 9x9, it's um..Rubbermaid :)
So I should just get like some sort of wire/net thing to put over the holes? >.>..

^^ I'l try to take a video someday, this is beyond hyperness.

That's so wicked though, I had no idea rabbits could ..climb.

And yeah..my parents pre-conception about rabbits was that they die easily (my mom said something about touching their tummies and they would die or something..or maybe that was just her excuse for not getting me a rabbit back then >__>). And my friends think that rabbits are dirty LOL

^^ Wah.. My whole family's been working on Choco this past week though ^^ I hope I won't become a bad owner~~

Tee-hee :) Thanks for all the help again.

^^ Everyone's really friendly here~

Latest posts

Back