New Rabbit, Treats and Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
Hello there! I've been posting about getting a new rabbit, we adopted her today. This is our first bunny, so I'm really excited to be a good mom to her. People suggested some treats and sitting with her for bonding. I gave her a little bit of apple just moments ago, by hand. She seemed really happy about that. But apples are treats, I've been told to not always give those to her.

The shelter guesses she is a bit under a year old. How often could I give her apple pieces for treats? (She looks a bit chubby but feels pretty bony, is that healthy or should I work on giving her some meat on those bones?) Also, when I sit on the floor near her cage, how often should I engage her? When she approaches me, or should I try to talk to her too? She really likes my cats, but doesn't always appreciate my pestering. (My maine coon and her really like each other, he only leaves her side when I leave the room to follow me, hahahah). She isn't too happy about being held, she does shake but doesn't fight. She ducks sometimes when being pet, but usually rubs against my hand after a bit of cooing. What's the best way to bond with her? Thanks!

(Sorry that these are common questions, but being a first time rabbit owner, I was wondering about her specific age and whatnot.)

I just use my rabbits' daily ration of pellets as treats. They get unlimited hay and roughly 2 cups of greens as well, but split 1/4 cup of pellets. I use them to get them to come over to me, because they get fed out of my hands, and I also use them to get them to go back in their cage when I need to leave the house. They come running when they hear the pellets hit the bowl. I do have some other oxbow brand treats and they occasionally get small pieces of fruit, but I don't want to overload them with sugar so the pellets work well for us.
I really find that just ignoring them works best at first; let her curiosity get the best of her and don't make any sudden moves and she'll be more trusting that she's safe with you.

Do be careful with cats and rabbits. Cat scratches and bites are pretty nasty and it can take just one incident to cause a horrible infection.

I would like her to use timothy hay for her primary food--but she doesn't seem interested in it. At the shelter I saw they had only fed her pellets. I've mixed some hay into her pellets, because I'd like her to only have those as an extra treat...

Also I'll try that, I'll let her come to me when she pleases! Also I have been watching my cats, they're only allowed to see her right now with supervision in the room. But, they're all sweeties. They've gotten along with many other family pets ranging from mice to turtles--but I promise I will be diligent with them! You can never be too careful with precious cargo. :) Thank you for the advice!

If she doesn't take to timothy hay right away you could try another grass hay, like orchard grass...or try mixing them together. Some people put a hay hanger above the litter box so as the rabbit eats they poop in the litter box. Hay won't provide her with all the nutrients she needs so supplementing with pellets is a good idea.

We did put her hay feeder above her box--I saw a good amount of owners doing it and I thought it would make things easier. I also put some of the hay into her pellet bowl but she just nudges it aside. I'll try another grass like you suggested if this keeps up. Thanks!

As was suggested I would try mixing another hay with the timothy. Most recommend a bunny eat a pile of hay the size of the bun a day. hay helps keep the gut moving and helps to keep the teeth worn down.

She needs to have her diet supplemented with either pellets or veggies or a combination of the two.

Give her time to settle in. As far as picking her up, keep at it. Most buns do not like to be picked up due to them being prey animals but there are times when it is necessary.

You said when you pet her sometimes she ducks? With my bun when I start to pet his face he will put his head down to show he is enjoying it. But only you would know if she is trying to avoid pets or showing she is enjoying them.

To bond you can hand feed her, either treats such as fruits but very limited amounts, pellets or even hay. My bun has always seemed to like eating hay when I hold a handful for him. He will pick a specific piece out and eat it and then pick another and so on until he has had enough.

You can sit quietly in the room with your bun or read a book. You can talk to her at times so she gets used to your voice or even read out loud to her. When I let Thumper out usually at first he runs around chinning and smelling everything. After he has burned off some energy he will come over near me more and stay by me for longer periods of time and when in the mood will settle down for some extended petting.

Most buns are more active in the morning and evening. So during the day if she starts lying around to rest you could take that opportunity to just go in and lay in the room with her or even see if she is in the mood for some petting.

I'll try to head out today to buy her some veggies, and some thing to stick the hay in for her so she can have some fun with it. I'll also look for some different hay to mix it with.

My fiance and I actually slept on the floor next to her cage last night with our three cats (I haven't let them interact without the cage dividing them, but they get along so well thus far), and she was definitely a lot more comfortable with being picked up this morning. I'd like for her to eventually be comfortable with us enough to spend most of her time out of her cage, with us. So I'm glad she's taking to petting and being held better--slowly, but better. She doesn't try to avoid me when I pet her, but she does lay a bit flat. She may be enjoying them--she certainly isn't shaking and her eyes seem relaxed.

Thank you for the advice! That definitely gave me a nice boost of hope for my relationship with her, I needed it. :)

If her eyes aren't bugged out and she isn't shaking when you pet her, then she's probably enjoying it. My rabbits will often lay down their head and close their eyes, which is a good indication of enjoying the petting.

You'll want to go slow on the veggies. Usually it's best to start out with one veggie at a time and in a small amount, to see if it causes any digestive upset, then if you aren't seeing any signs of discomfort or soft poop, then you can gradually increase the amount of that veggie. Also go really easy on the treats. It can cause an upset of their digestive flora if they get too much sugar. The recommended amount is 1 tsp per 2 lb. of body weight, and that is if the rabbit isn't showing any adverse signs to the sugars, such as mushy or smaller than usual poop.

Last edited:
Okay yeah. Her eyes are usually 'sleepy' looking when she presses herself down while we pet her. Sometimes though she will run to her litter pan and stare at me, which is when I back off. I started giving her some organic romaine lettuce today, she really enjoyed that. I put it up in a hanging ball, her hidy house, and her hay feeder for her to find later on if she wants to snack, as well. I'll keep an eye on her droppings to see how she reacts to it. Thank you for the tip! The only treat she's gotten so far is some apple.

Congratulations on the new bun. Lots of hay, apart from putting the hay feeder above the litter box, I put some hay at one end of the box as well, mine like both.

Mine love herbs, they have basil, dill, cilantro, parsley. Just introduce them slowly to make sure it doesn´t upset her stomach.

Bowing her head and closing her eyes is a good sign, it´s what they do when another bun is grooming them. I love stroking them from head to tail and they love it.

Fruit should only be given as an occasional treat, mine, as well as most other bunnies I know, prefer banana but they do like craisins and will eat apple or pear as well.

You seem to be doing loads of research so I´m sure your bunny will be fine. Do post a pic, we love seeing the new buns on here.

Latest posts

Back