New rabbit owner,digging,litterbox and some other questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the digging, you can get her an alternative. My old rabbit would dig the carpet and I made him a little cozy fabric burrow. He didn't dig he fabric after that, because he liked the burrow more.

I think that you should direct the pet store owner to some website, like the house rabbit society, so they can find out how to keep rabbits. It's nice that they are taking unwanted rabbits, but it sounds like they need a LOT of information.

As for the litter box, you might want to get her some recycled newspaper pellets instead of hay. She won't eat that. DO NOT GET CLUMPING LITTER AS THAT COULD GET STUCK IN THEIR INTESTINE. Also, that behavior could stop if you get her neutered. Make sure she is not pregnant, which she probably is (ever heard the phrase "breed like rabbits?") before you neuter her, though.

That is a good plan for sure,I have been meaning to put some money away for the dogs in case of an emergency.Im super paranoid about them getting hurt because they are 5 and 6 now.Even though that is not old for a small breed dog,there are alot of health problems that could present themselves.Their mouths are not in great shape and that worries me of course.
I have to say for me the day to day care costs more then my dogs.They hate dog food so they mostly get scraps,they will starve themselves before they eat dog food.So they cost very little to feed.The bunny on the other hand needs fresh greens,I live in northern MN/WI so they are not so cheap.I might be over feeding her though
.She has hay 24/7 and gets about a softball sized pile of greens at night along with 2 Tbs of pellets.And I give her wild dandalion during the day(handful) and bit of apple and carrot in her hay box at night to forage for.Sometimes she gets other bits of fruit that my toddler drops(whoops). Soo maybe too much? I try to keep the fruits down, but besides that I think it is okay.
Im an overthinker,so I tend to go crazy over these things.The internet is a scary place for me to be lol

If your rabbit is eating well, has healthy stool, getting enough exercise and is always happy to see you, you doing a great job. Their eating behaviors will change as they get older and you will notice it most in their poo. There was a great article posted on RO that had pictures and explanations. Hopefully someone has that linked saved.

One of my dig boxes. I have my cement preformed tube coming into the dig box with the one of my scarves binder cliped to one side for traction. I change my dig boxes about once a week.

20140520_093819.jpg

Hi,

I found an unfinished wooden doll rocker/crib and cut cardboard to fit in it, sitting on end so the cut ends were at the base and top. I stuffed it as fully as I could. My rabbits dig on it and pull out pieces with their mouths. I have to put it back in daily, but they love it. I think the sturdiness gives them resistance when they dig. I wonder if those cardboard in plastic frame cat scratch things would work?

Enjoy your bunny,
Sharon

Thanks everyone!
She is not pregnant! Thank goodness,it has been 32 days since I got her ao she would have had babbies by now or at the very least be showing some signs. I have heard they can have them up to 33 days after breeding,but Im 99 percent sure she is not.Im thinking the other 2 bunnies she was with muat have been girls.
As for the pet store they acted like I was a crazy person when I told them they might want to do some research :/
The digging is not a problem right now,because I banned her from the couch all the time,so now she digs in her old blankets happily.I make sure ahe does not eat them or anything.And she spends hours speading them out, bunching them up again.
About litter box training,I switched back to just ripped up brown paper in her box,and got her a hay box so she has to go into her litter box to eat hay or into her cage(got her all set up with a nice 2 level storage cube cage with her old cage connected to it).
I tried some uesterdays new litter for one day but she refused to use her litter box,so that is not gunna work for us.
She seems to be doing great,she is very active in the morning and evening and spends most of the day resting in one of her favorite spots.Poops plenty!She Is allways sweet with me when I hang out with her licks me and stuff.If I dont come say hi to her for a few hours ahe will come find me and nudge my foot till I talk to her,pet her,and give her a snack.
She did growl at me the other day because she found her way into the closet so I had to fish her out or she could have got hurt.(she loves the xloset and it is her main goal in lofe to get in there and climb boxes)
We all love her and seeing her little bunny face allways cheers me up:)
Once again thank you everyone for your helpful advice.

Digging is a natural thing for buns. I would give her a separate box for her hay and separate for her potty box. Buns love toys tunnels and such. Give her some safe toys.. we have four buns. Two were thrown away on the street short after Easter one is now 9. Hugs

She has plenty of safe toys,does not care about them at all.Like I said she likes her blankets,paper towel rolls if they have treats inside and sticks of course.She does not seem to have the urge to hide under things,or go inside things.She has a tunnel,she will only go in if I put food in there. She has boxes,no interest AT ALL.

Her favorite spot is on my landing of the stairs, you really cannot get more exposed than that.
She is a BRAVE bunny,not at all what I thought a bunny would act like at all.It shocks me how laid back she is,and has been right from the start.My dogs and toddler can be chasing around the house,barking,yelling,stomping,and she is just flopped on her side watching with mild interest.
Is it normal for a bunny to not care about hiding? Not like it matters if it is,none of animals I have ever had have really been normal.I should not be surprised I guess.

My rabbit is and was exactly like your rabbit!

When we first got her she found a place she liked and peed, so I put down newspaper and she kept peeing there, put also pooping on the floor and going on our bed and peeing and pooping all over.

Over time and as she got bigger I changed the newspaper for a shallow plastic container and filled it with litter. She still kept peeing on the bed and pooping everywhere but there was just no way to stop her - our bed was level with the floor so she could just run on it, sometimes we'd feel her at night jumping on us.

Anyway, we moved flat - kept her plastic container - and placed it in a new place in our new flat. She used it, but also started to pee by the front door and on the bed. All of this peeing where she shouldn't was down to her marking her territory, anyway, we kept an eye on her, didn't let her in the bedroom unless we were there and every time she stuck up her bum and tail to wee, we'd nudge her until she jumped off the bed - then she went to her plastic container. Over time and with patience she now only uses her plastic container and never pees or poops anywhere else. We keep her bathroom area away from where she 'lives' with her hay and food and drink as they generally don't like to soil where they live, she's even chosen her own space outside on our terrace where she only pees and poops and it's far away from her wooden house. There was the odd occasion when we'd come home and found she had peed by the door, but it was rare and has stopped completely since we had her spayed.

As for the digging, it's something you have to deal with, it's part of their nature, we live in an open apartment with laminate floors so we're lucky she can't damage the floors, but my god does she make a racket. She also chewed off some of our skirting board when we first moved in but this has stopped now. The noise drives us crazy sometimes, but she only does it in certain areas - generally areas that she can't get to - like under the sofa or the wardrobe - and she wants to dig under. We generally keep her off the bed and sofa unless we're cuddling her, put she does give it a good dig sometimes but it doesn't happen a lot, although if we leave any clothes on the floor we do find them in the oddest places and she digs them across the apartment when she pushes them under her. It's just part of their character and it's something you come to love although be annoyed by on occasion. You just need to keep her away from any areas you don't want her in, we've had to really 'bunny proof' our apartment but she's worth it. Keep any and all wires away from her, I guarantee they won't be connected once she's had her way and chewed through them. We have had to replace a lot of headphones and chargers. If you have a garden, you could get an outside run for her and left her dig and play.

She is now three and I love her to bits, she is the best bunny I've ever had and has so much character, she is awesome to snuggles and very well behaved - most of time. It's just part of having a bunny.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love every minute of it, they really are amazing companions to have.

Latest posts

Back