New Rabbit- how to litter train a 4 month old bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddie_20

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a while since I had to give my beloved nibbles up:(. My roomate was developping alergies. But I am finally done university and will be moving back home. I am planning on getting a new one and wondering how hard is it to litter train a 4 month old bunny?

I am planning on buying the rabbit from someone and I don't believe that the rabbit is litter trainned at all so just wondering if any of you know if it will be hard to just put a litter box in the cage and if the rabbit will easily adjust to it.

Thanks
Madhura

Hi there, welcome back. :wave:

Congrats on your new bunny! Often they will just litter train themselves, put a nice sized litter tray in (cat ones are good, the corner ones for rabbits are often a bit too small) and get a good litter. Watch the bunny, see where/which corner she or he is using as a toilet most often, and put the tray there. :) But at that age, the bunny is hitting puberty, and might be very messy! So you should get him or her spayed/neutered, as usually that helps a lot with litter training, as well as the health benefits. :)

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking.. I had a corner litter box for my last rabbit and that worked great! And yes I plan on getting the little one neutered as it will probably help with training for sure. But I will wait for a few months and then do it cause he is still about 4 months old and don't think he is old enough to do it so probably wait for a month or so.

Like Michaela said, neuter/spay will help. I wouldn't expect too much of a bunny as young as 4 months as far as litter training goes. You can have him neutered as soon as you see that he's mature (5-6mo of age).

Hi Madhura,

Nice to see you're back. Are you finished University for good, or just for the term?

In yourother threads, the bunny you are looking at, could be a mix of Netherland dwarf and mini rex. I am guessing though. :?
Do you still see Nibbles?

Also put some hay in one end of the litter box or usea hay rack over the box. I have litter box trained a two month old rabbit. She did improve after her spay. Jordy my new fosterstarted using his litter box after a couple of days. He was just neutered.

Hey,

Thanks I am excited to be back. Unfortunately I don't see my baby nibbles anymore... but what can you do.

Ya i am done university for good.. so very excited! and excited to have a new little friend as well, cause I have always missed having a rabbit since i gave my baby up.

How are pebbles and bebe doing?

Latest posts

Back