New rabbit, cost of spay/neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling around to local vets is probably your best option. Spay and neutering price very in different parts of the country. Here (utah) it's about $50

Calling around to local vets is probably your best option. Spay and neutering price very in different parts of the country. Here (utah) it's about $50

$50! Is this being subsidized by some other organization? Even doing something really simple like a cat neuter at that price, I can't imagine how your veterinarian could turn a profit. When prices get that low I really wonder about what sort of preanesthetic drugs they're using, if you're being sent home with appropriate pain control, etc.

What questions should I ask about spay procedure that would help me to make a decision?
I would ask how often they perform the procedure, what pain meds they would use for recovery, if they could detail the procedure for you... a useful trick is to ask if you should fast your rabbit prior to surgery. If they say yes (like you would for a cat or dog), that would be a big red flag.

My vet clinic gave me a pamphlet about general neutering information, and made a special note regarding not fasting for rabbits. :)

$50! Is this being subsidized by some other organization? Even doing something really simple like a cat neuter at that price, I can't imagine how your veterinarian could turn a profit. When prices get that low I really wonder about what sort of preanesthetic drugs they're using, if you're being sent home with appropriate pain control, etc.

http://www.utahpets.org/nmhcms/Best...inicinOrem/tabid/77/Default.aspx#.U-gXLGd0zGg

That's all I know, it says something about low income on the page so you're probably right. I haven't done too much research on places to go just yet. I went to the first few on a google search....

Last edited:
I live by lake George. I called 5-6 local vets & they were all under 300 dollars!!

Back