New puppy??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trumpy-Gash

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have 2 rabbits: Trumpet & Gash
I want a puppy. Would this be a bad idea?

Hi all.
I have 2 rabbits: Trumpet & Gash
I want a puppy. Would this be a bad idea?

I definitely think this depends on the breed of puppy and the Bunnies you have!

My one dog wants to KILL my Rabbits. She is a hound mix, so it's her breed that really takes control. Even though we socialized her with small animals when she was a pup, she's ALWAYS had her prey drive. Where as my other two are perfectly fine with them. My little guy even plays with my rabbits, and allows them to chase him! He is a companion breed, Poodle x Maltese, and basically has 0 prey drive.

I would NEVER leave a dog alone with a small animal. No matter how much you trust the dog.

Yes it really does depend in the personality if your dog and your bun. My dog will simply sit while my bun runs around her. And my dog will even come up and try to lick bun! But then again, my dog never really even chased rabbits running around in my backyard. And yes I agree, no matter how much you trust the dog do not leave them alone together. Anything is possible. 😉

Well I was thinking of a sheepdog collie. Very obedient and clever dogs.
Can picture Gash, Trumpet and the newest member of the family, Boumsong all lying down watching the TV.

It's important to do lots of research and be knowledgeable about both of your pets. Some dogs have very high prey drives - they may be intelligent and obedient, but these simply aren't good breeds to live around smaller animals (cats, rabbits, etc). Other breeds have less of a natural drive and may live peacefully with small animals.

Definitely research the breeds you're interested in and talk to breeders about their experiences with the breed.

If you find that your breed of choice is not small-animal compatible, another option is simply to house the animals separately.

Latest posts

Back