New owner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterz

Reaction score
Okay so I got him a nice cage but my issue is, he seems to be pooping in random spots! I want to be able to potty train him. Another thing is that the stuff we put in the cage to absorb the pee, well he is pushing it where he wants to lay down! So he's only laying on the cage bottom. It's his first night home so I know he's probably just getting used to it.

I put a little stuffed animal in the cage for him because I know he's used to sleeping with a bunch of baby bunnies. However, let me know if that is bad! And any advice for a new owner would be undoubtedly appreciated! He's the most adorable little thing. He sat on my chest for half an hour. He didn't move, just laid against me and he doesn't hop away or anything.

Putting in a stuffed animal isnt a bad idea at all. A lot of single buns will actually bond with their stuffed animals. If you have litter in his cage it is probably confusing him on where to go. Just put litter in a litter box for now and not all over his cage. If you do notice him going in a particular corner/spot move the litter box over to it. Also when he pees take a paper towel soak up some of the urine and then put it his litter box.

When a rabbit pees 99.9% of the time in their litter box they are considered litter box trained. You will still find occasional stray poops where ever he goes. And I say 99.9 percent because lets not forget about those revenge pees.

Our all pee in their litter pan so I consider them potty trained. The poop is left every where there is a where so we have a ginormous shop vac. Just how it is with bunnies. We've had, at one time or another, 42 various bunnies and only one used her pan exclusively--poop in one corner and pee in another.

I have a rex who only pees in her litter pan, but poops everywhere else. I'm not complaining as long as she keeps peeing in the pan lol

Ditto mine all pee in their litter tray but leave stray poops outside. As two of them are sorting out differences right now, poop wars in the living room and Houdini can certainly poop. I call him my poop dispenser :p

I actually think that a stuffed animal in the cage could be bad because it may get chewed and I doubt cloth and stuffing is good for a rabbit to digest. I guess it is fine to keep it in as long as it doesn't become a chew toy.

Back