New Nethie Possibly Pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
The new little nethie I rescued was living with her brother the whole time and as you can see he was pulling the fur off her

GEDC1288.jpg

I have her now, but she is possibly a few days pregnant by her brother! I'm just wondering how bad is brother-sister breeding and is there a high chance of the kits having problems?

Do you know much about their parents? The more inbred they are, the more the risks, I would think. I would also think she could potentially be heavily pregnant if she is roughly 5 months old now, so be prepared for babies at any points.

caramel was only 6months by a week when she had her litter...
and was pullin out fur 2 weeks before kindling

Flashy wrote:
Do you know much about their parents? The more inbred they are, the more the risks, I would think. I would also think she could potentially be heavily pregnant if she is roughly 5 months old now, so be prepared for babies at any points.
Her parents aren't inbred at all and are from totally different families, she had babies just a few days ago but she didn't make a nest or anything and the babies died, poor thing must have been stressed out of her mind.

I wouldn't worry too much, brother to sister mating is not often something you want to do intentionally, but it happens quite often by mistake (people buying two "sisters" that turn out to be a buck and a doe, or leaving babies together too long etc.). More often than not the litter is perfectly normal.

Jenson wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much, brother to sister mating is not often something you want to do intentionally, but it happens quite often by mistake (people buying two "sisters" that turn out to be a buck and a doe, or leaving babies together too long etc.). More often than not the litter is perfectly normal.
Ok *fingers crossed* it would make life alot easier if she wasn't but the chances of that are very slim.

:bambiandthumper:bambiandthumperlooks like my male netherland dwarf mine is otter black w/ the brown patch at the ears just like yours wanna mate lols:bambiandthumper

Just keep an eye on her....which I'm sure you will. :)

If she is pregnant with her bro's kits it's not necessarily going to give you problematic kits. In fact, some breeders are even purposely breeding brothers to sisters to try to get some of the same good traits to come out in the kits. I'm far too conservative to try that one just yet, but it proves it can be done safely as they've had no problems (at least that they're telling us about) so far.

Prepare for the worst (find an emergency rabbit savvy vet) and hope for best.

:goodluck

Latest posts

Back