New Netherland Dwarf boy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Ok, this guy I got from my neighbor on Sunday,he's kind of a rescue since the guy didn't know what he was going to dowith him. He threatened to eat him, but I don't think hewas serious... Anyway, this little buck is very nervous and jumpy, andthis am when I fed, he jumped at me and bit my hand. I had not evenreached towards him at this point, just the feed dishes. I had hoped hewould settle after being here a few days, but he's just gotten worse. Ihad to put gloves on and hold him still just to feed him withoutgetting bitten today. I have never had a ND before, are they usuallypretty high-strung? I was also curious what his color is called, he ispretty even if he's a snot.
This has not been a good day for me, this am when I fed, not only didthis guy attack me, I discovered I hadn't gotten one of the cage doorslatched yeserday, and one of my baby mini rex escaped. I can't find heranywhere, I looked and looked. I am so afraid something got her duringthe night, since I don't know when she got out. Of course, lst nightwould be one of the few nights I didn't go out to the barn for cagecleaning or just a general lookover before bed time. I am still hopingto find her, but the more time goes by, the less hope there wil be. Ican't go out and spend time looking for her during the day becuase Ihave 2 year old twins, and I am home alone with them during the day. Iwill do another extensive search tonight when my hubby gets home fromwork, everyone keep your fingers crossed for me,ok?

I am so sorry. I am praying so hard for your rexie girl's safe and prompt return.

I have talk ed to a few ND owners and all have said the samething. They tend to be a bit high strung. I hope he settles down foryou.

attachment.php

Amazing how a little guy could be soooo cute and have suchattitude. I think it's awesome you saved him from an uncertainfate.

Tina

gentle giants wrote:
Ok, this guy I got from my neighbor on Sunday, he's kind ofa rescue since the guy didn't know what he was going to do with him. Hethreatened to eat him, but I don't think he wasserious... Anyway, this little buck is very nervous and jumpy, and thisam when I fed, he jumped at me and bit my hand. I had not even reachedtowards him at this point, just the feed dishes. I had hoped he wouldsettle after being here a few days, but he's just gotten worse. I hadto put gloves on and hold him still just to feed him without gettingbitten today. I have never had a ND before, are they usually prettyhigh-strung? I was also curious what his color is called, he is prettyeven if he's a snot.
This has not been a good day for me, this am when I fed, not only didthis guy attack me, I discovered I hadn't gotten one of the cage doorslatched yeserday, and one of my baby mini rex escaped. I can't find heranywhere, I looked and looked. I am so afraid something got her duringthe night, since I don't know when she got out. Of course, lst nightwould be one of the few nights I didn't go out to the barn for cagecleaning or just a general lookover before bed time. I am still hopingto find her, but the more time goes by, the less hope there wil be. Ican't go out and spend time looking for her during the day becuase Ihave 2 year old twins, and I am home alone with them during the day. Iwill do another extensive search tonight when my hubby gets home fromwork, everyone keep your fingers crossed for me,ok?
I hada netherland dwarf that just died on December 2nd. Our Pepper was 2 1/2years old when he died and we had him since June 2003.We got Pepperwhen he was 3 or 4 months old. Our Pepper was so sweet and lovable.Iwonder if your neighbor didn't treat him good so maybe that's why heacts like that.How old is the netherland dwarf you just got. Werecently got a new rabbit on Saturday from our neighbor and our newrabbit is 5 months old and he is a lop and his name isDusty.

I had a netherland dwarf that just diedon December 2nd. Our Pepper was 2 1/2 years old when he died and we hadhim since June 2003.We got Pepper when he was 3 or 4 months old. OurPepper was so sweet and lovable.I wonder if your neighbordidn't treat him good so maybe that's why he acts like that.Howold is the netherland dwarf you just got. We recently got a new rabbiton Saturday from our neighbor and our new rabbit is 5 months old and heis a lop and his name is Dusty.

I wonder the same thing , sometimes NDare victims of their previous owners , I have (had) 3, Two were very sweet , andone I call snotty pants because of hermethod of play , which can be down rightsnotty .

Gentle Giants , if he gets tooobnoxious please get in touch with Brimmhereand you can ship him to me alongwith Mr Mouse . I love a challange andsnotty Nethis are my specialty. That isIf you would like to rehome him .

I fear his problem is , being swatted ateverytime his door was opened , and he is reacting firstrather than await the inevitable swat ,Smetimes 2 lb Netherlands appear to bemore vicious than the cousin Checkard.,Its a pity most people dont take the time toget toknow their rabbit before resorting to physical. If the Previous owner did swatand slap him away from the cage , histrust when you finally earn it is goingto be well worth every nip andscar .

Its so sad how a very prettyrabbit cant have a pretty tempermentbecause of past events .
I have to edit to ask a question ,

are you sure its a Buck and not a Doe?GenerallyBucks are more laid back than a Doe will be , andDoes are notorious for being snippyand snotty .

he is so adorable.. im a huge nd fan! i am so sosorry about your rex baby, ill be worried about her. :pray: update uslater on her. about his fiestyness, i agree that maybe its because hewasnt treated good.. i have a netherland who will be two next month andhe is the sweetest thing. i got him neutered at 4 months because iheard they could be high strung and his hormones didnt get a chance tochange his personality.. he's so kissy. if you're just planning onkeeping him as a pet, id recommend a neuter to calm him down. if youdont want to, just give it time and he'll slowly learn to trust again.

He needs time to adjust. Have himaround when you are talking on the phone, watching TV etc. Heneeds to adjust to you, then he will start to trust you and settle down.

Ed

So sorry about your Rex - I am praying that she will turn up safe and sound.

The little guy sure looks like a cutie - I agree that his rasttreatment is probably a big factor in the way he is acting. Hopefullyhe will soon start to trust and settle doen

Jan

Oh no. Where in Illinois are you located? I'mjust curious because I'm in Illinois too and if we were close, I may beable to help if you needed it.

Good luck. Will keep all fingers and paws crossed xxxx

I thought at first mabye it was stress frombeing moved around. I will give his story in more detail: The neighborI got him from had bought him from a breeder for someone he knew, thenthis person decided they didn't want him after all. So my neighbor wasaggravated about being "stuck" with him, and, knowing I have rabbits,called to see if I wanted to take him. My neighbor doesn't keeprabbits, and he had him in a wire cage outside, with hardly anyprotection from the weather. I couldn't leave him that way, especiallyin December. My rabbits are at least in a barn, and all their cages arepacked with straw for a nice warm bed.
I am going to go back out and search for my little mini rex doe morewhen my hubby gets home from work. If she has the sense to stay in thebarn, she should be ok, but if she leaves the barn her odds of makingit through the night are not good. We live in the middle of the woods,and there are a lot of predators. Thank you all for your prayers, Iappreciate it.
ChalriesAngel, I live between Ashmore and Charleston, if that tells youanything. Both small towns, but Charleston is where Eastern IllinoisUniversity is located.

I raise netherlands none of mine are mean nonebite.i have one buck jumps at the feeder like hes starving, but he doesnot bite and is the first one to come over to get petted.they may be abit more high strung and he may calm down after he trusts you.bluebird

If being struck by the previousowner that's why he is biting maybe try just opening the door adnwaiting until he gets a good long look at you then carefully slowely gotowards teh dish. If he still lunges, maybe he's a bit terrirotial? I'mwondering this because maybe he was stuck in a cage with other bucks orsomething?

Hope you find your rex :(. Good luck and keep us posted please! :)

Since gentle giants hasn't been back onto answer here I want to let everyone know that she e-mailed me lastnight and she found the little Mini-Rex in the barn.
She was no worse for wear just somewhat dirty and doing binkies all ove rthe place! Rotten thing!!:bunnydance:
Needless to say gentle giants was thrilled to find her!

Oh, that's the best news I've heard all day! Thanks for sharing it with us.

That's so great that the baby mini rex was found unharmed.

Laura

HI I'm so glad the little bunny wasfound safe ! I kept netherland dwarfs for manyyears and I usually got them as babies and in my experiencetheyare a bit highly strung. Its the only type ofrabbit which ever bit me and drew blood. They are sweet intheir own way though and full of life, make sure he haslotsof space to exercise and he might calm down abit. I personally think they are thecutest breed, I love their tiny little ears but have decidedto keep lops now as they are a bit calmer.

Hello all! I did indeed find my little stinkerof a mini rex, while I was stressing out about all the horrible thingsthat could happen to her while she was loose, she was having the timeof her life! Last night when I went out to do another search, I hadalmost given up before I spotted her in the middle of the open haybale, munching on the bunny smorgasbord. It took me a while to catchher, she thought it was great game. She would let me get sooo close,and then her ears would flick and she was gone! She was laughing at me,I know it. :mad: Anyway, she is one dirty little bunny from palying onthe dirt floor of the barn, but she is unharmed. Here is a pic of herlittle face, don't be fooled by the angelic expression!

Well to tell you the truth, I think Dyky mighttake her. She is trying to decide between her and her sister, the blackdoe. She is taking Ned, too, the little trouble maker! He bit me againthis am... :?

Latest posts

Back