New mummy to a bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie Ashcroft

Reaction score
6705690C-D106-4FD9-9E36-8DC2A8B5F7AF.jpeg 7F27DC4B-3D5A-4A93-8BED-4BF74663041F.jpeg Good evening ,
So happy to have found this site !
I got my first rabbit yesterday falling in love with her a week ago and frantically trying to get everything I needed before someone else got her :D I’m just wondering if you guys could help me please on a few things ... I’d really like to know what breed she is. They didn’t know but presumed she was a x. Anyone got ideas please ? Also any tips for settling her in. I’ve left her really since she’s been home but put her in the garden today (enclosed) and had a job getting her back in without frightening her. Many thanks j and Doris :)

What a cutie!
Unfortunately, I can't say too much about her breed - I actually have a rabbit that's a somewhat similar shape, but he was rescued as a meat rabbit so since their origins are so different they could be completely different breeds.
As for settling in - its good to give her a chance to explore her environment while things are quiet and calm. Make her feel safe in her new space. Maybe don't run the vaccuum for a bit and don't spend too much time overwhelming her with affection (though spending time with her in the same space is good so you can get used to each other). Try not to pick her up too much in the first little while as most rabbits find it pretty startling.
Otherwise, it all comes down to rabbit care basics - don't keep her locked up in a cage, try and keep her somewhere where the ground is soft, always provide fresh hay and water, etc.
I think the most important thing is having a good shelter. Rabbits can only feel calm if they have somewhere quiet and dark they can hide when they're stressed (sort of like fish, haha!). I have a nice long rectangular cardboard box for my rabbit that he loves. You can try cardboard with yours, but just keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't eating the cardboard (my guy CHEWS it off, but spits it out). Ingesting a little plain, ink-free cardboard isn't a big deal for most rabbits, but too much can do harm. If cardboard doesn't work, you can try shelters bought from the pet store or even make one yourself out of scrap wood (no nails and sanded smooth, of course - and check the species of wood to ensure its safe for her to chew). Some shelters offered at pet stores let a lot of light in which rabbits don't find particularly comforting - make sure it's somewhat dark, mimicking the dens rabbits would dig themselves in the wild.
Best of luck!

Aww thank you so much for your ideas ! Definitely going to do the cardboard box idea tomorrow x

She's adorable! Welcome to the forum!

In her hutch outdoors, make sure she doesn't dig in the grass/dirt and get out of hutch. I have 3 rabbits, one is a lionhead/hot tot mix female, spayed, 1 year old. The other is a brown and white male mini-rex neutered and the newest is a mini-rex baby - black with blue eyes and a snipet of white on his nose, he is 8 weeks. They are inside buns and each have there own pen and I have a big x pen that each one can run around in everyday. I am trying to bond the older male and female rabbits but the male keeps going after the female and taking chucks of fur off her butt. So obviously it won't work with them. Good luck on your new bunny friend.

Congratulations! Your life will never be the same from now on. :) It will be better! That's the way it was with us.

Your rabbit is beautiful. You will enjoy getting acquainted and finding out your bunny's likes and dislikes. Ours love kale and cilantro as well as dandelion and rose blossoms in season.

Keep in mind what bunnies in nature have: plenty of room to run and frolic, social opportunities and hidey holes. For the latter I go to a florist and get their discarded long boxes that roses or gladiolus were shipped in. I glue the tops on with white glue, then cut openings in the ends. The buns love them.

Someday, consider a playmate. In the meantime a stuffed bunny might do. All our rabbits are paired with another. I can't imagine forcing any of them to live alone. Getting acquainted with their individual personalities is a fun adventure.

Be sure to keep wires and charging cords away from your sweetie! We use storage cube panels for just about every fence situation we need. Their versatility is limited only by one's imagination. Zip ties ensure they won't come apart.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...storage+cubes&qid=1555855183&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The House Rabbit Society's Web site offers good advice on care and keeping.

https://rabbit.org/

On YouTube be sure to search for Mary Cotter/Amy Sedaris videos. Good stuff.

Sears sells 'em even cheaper, last I checked (like 21-23.99 for six cubes, which is 23 grids).

Other good sites:
https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/Default.aspx
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/

Your rabbit's coloring is harlequin, which I just now learned is also a breed (silly me, took me 7 years to realize that)! That surprised me, as my harlequin colored rabbit is a lionhead (hence why I assumed it was just the coloring name), so I guess the breeder crossed those two lines. It's a very unique, striking and gorgeous coloring! Could be another breed mixed in there easily (on your bunny, I mean), but it's a place to start.

Here's a pic of Nala (though as gorgeous as she is, I think your little stinker might be even cuter!):

i540i0.jpg

Welcome to the forum and the rabbit life. Your rabbit such a cutie. Almost looks like a Belgian Hare mix with the head and ear shape, but I really have no idea. It doesn't really matter what breed she is. Just love her and enjoy her. Which won't be hard. :) Looks like you did a good job with her new home. Love her and spoil her. I truly believe all rabbits should be spoiled, as all pets should. She will do some funny things to make you laugh. I never have a bad day anymore, one of mine always makes me laugh doing something silly that I forget all about the bad.
Enjoy your new life and being a bunny mummy. Welcome...you'll get a lot of good info here, there are a lot of caring great people on this forum with lots of knowledge for anything you need.

I'll chime in, again, because I remember what it was like when we were new to the bunny experience. Mostly, don't listen to folklore, "common" wisdom. Most likely it will be wrong. Come to places like this and the other suggested Web sites. Listen to people with actual experience.

In our case we were given bad advice from people who seemed reliable. It turned out they didn't have a clue and we made mistakes which I regret. It all turned out well, but I learned my lesson. Listen, study the Web sites as much as you can.

Here's another video:

You will feel much better/satisfied if you know what you are doing for your bunny is right for it.

Rabbits are beautiful creatures, a wonder of creation. Here's hoping you'll be able to enjoy yours to the max.

Latest posts

Back