New Mother

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy B

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that has just had babies.
I'm not sure how she's supposed to be acting.
2 of her babies died today or were still born.
She has some in the nest not sure how many.
Is there any post care i should be giving her?

Give the mom unlimited food and water. Then I suggest if the mom will permit, check her babies. Make sure they're all together.

I have given her all kinds of food and water....
The babies seem to be all in the nest moving around a lil.
She doesn't seem to be spending much time in there...Is that normal?

yes its completely normal. If the rabbit is housed indoors then she will only go in the box to feed the babies which is only once to twice a day. Rabbits are prey animals and do not like to hang around the babies because in the wild this would lead predators right to them. Unlimited pellets and hay are fine. If you are not feeding alfalfa pellets I would recommend supplementing with maybe a handful of alfalfa hay once a day or every other day. This is especially if your food is under 16% protein. A lactating mother should be getting alot richer feed than just a house pet.

First thing to do is go in the nest (take it out if its in a box is the best thing to do) and count all the babies. This allows you to make sure none are dead and also allows you to check their bellies. A well fed baby should not be wrinkly (unless its a large breed rabbit). The belly should be well rounded. Since I said before that does may only feed one to two times a day you will need to check the babies multiple times in a day to figure out when mom feeds them. Chances are thats her magic hour and she will stick to it throughout the nursing period.

Babies will grow fur in about 3 days and start opening eyes and ears around 10-14 days. If by day 15 the babies have not opened their eyes they may need some encouragement. Just take a warm wet paper towel and gently rub across the eyes and try to open them. Once the babies have opened their eyes they will become much more active and come out of the box. If they start coming out early figure out someway to keep them contained (we usually move the nesting material away from the front to make the front seem higher. If a baby is out of the nest it could risk death by lack of feeding (why its important to count daily) or chilled (by being away from the warmth of siblings).

Thank you woahlookitsme...I have her on the pellets that she came with not sure of the brand and the protein amount as they are in a container not the orginal packaging.
I am feeding her the hay that was out beside my house in the fields.Meadow hay she loves it.
I am nowhere near any pet sotres or anything like that to get alpha hay right now my car has broken down and i won't be getting it back for a few weeks and i am pretty much stranded where i am...I have an elderly neighbor that takes me to the local convience store for supplies for me and my cat but no rabbit food or hay is there and she can't drive into town ..I hope what i have will be enough for them for now at least.

Latest posts

Back