New Member!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, do your parents not want Stella inside because they fear she'll poop everywhere? Or that she'll make a mess? If you litter train, she'll pee/poop in the litter box with occasional poops outside of the box (usually either they accidentally kick it out, or they're marking an area as theirs). I've had Trixie since the end of November of last year and I've only had to pick up a handful of random poops. Plus the poops are hard, and not mushy so it's easy to pick up.

I was hesitant about bringing home Trixie (boyfriend surprised me with her for an early Christmas gift) because my mom does not care to have pets. I hid everything in my room for a week or so. I made the corner of my room as Trixie's area and made sure it was bunny proofed. I caught my mom in a good mood one day and first thing I did was ask her "if I show you something, will you promise not to kill me?" LOL. When I opened the door to my room, she saw Trixie and said "uh oh". But it was weird..it wasn't like a bad "uh oh", more of like out of curiousity "huh...you snuck in an animal". She saw my set up, how I had everything organized, the room didn't smell and she even pet Trixie when I picked her up to show her. She laughed and shook her head and said I was a troublemaker and that was that. Not sure if it's because she realized I had the situation under control or she just didn't want to put up a fight since I had everything done already. Either way, I'm happy.

I wonder if maybe you could talk to the family and express how you'll be responsible for everything and that they won't have to take care of Stella? I know some fear that they'll end up being the one to take care of the pet and do not want the responsibility.

Also I have to keep my room clean until June 23, and then we'll "revisit the subject." I think it's not fair does anyone else?

I would just say it’s fair that they allow you to own a pet and they are thinking about it.

Myself bought my bunnies when I wasn’t living at home. So when I moved back they couldn’t complain and my mom was just happy I was back again. I also had my little brother at my side, so they let me get two more bunnies.

Also pushing on your parents a lot can back fire, if your bunny will keep on living outdoors maybe try to adopt a friend for her. Because as long as you live at home it’s your parents that decide what they want in their house. It’s something we should just respect and acknowledge.

My parents have always been against pets at home.

Also while housing her outdoors you can litter train her and show how good you are at taking care of her. Maybe you need to show your parents that you truly take responsibility.

But you can make it better for how your bunny live outdoors and make her a happy bunny.

Myself house two outdoor bunnies. One of them would never be able to house indoors while the other needed to be housed outdoors. Both the outdoor bunnies have each other as companion and I let them come in and spend time when they get their summer fur.

Also I have to keep my room clean until June 23, and then we'll "revisit the subject." I think it's not fair does anyone else?
While it may seem unfair, just remember that it is your parents who own the home and what they say goes. Out of respect, I would abide by their wishes, but still continue to show them that you are responsible to take care of Stella. At least they are giving the opportunity to "revisit the subject" in June so I would continue keeping your room clean and see how they feel in the next 6 months.

Growing up, my mom was never a fan of pets either. Not even a fish. It wasn't until I bought my own house, had my mom move in with me, when I felt ready to deal with her "wrath" should I ever get a furry companion. But to my surprise, she wasn't even angry. Took me 32 years to finally get the guts to do it. I think for her, it was the whole idea of being the one who ends up taking care of the animal. My sister who does not live with me, had pets all the time and in the beginning she would take care of them, but towards the end, it would be my mom to do so and I think she didn't want me to be the same way like my sister. Trixie stays in my room and my mom doesn't even have to worry about her. Hopefully in June, your parents will have a change of heart and let you bring Stella in. Keep your spirits up!

I think that’s a really long time!! So yeah I think it’s unfair, I think three months would be a lot more reasonable and still a kinda long time, 6 months is just frustrating. (Of course I agree with the others about respecting parents especially since I am one, but we can still think it’s unfair)! Good luck!

I think that’s a really long time!! So yeah I think it’s unfair, I think three months would be a lot more reasonable and still a kinda long time, 6 months is just frustrating. (Of course I agree with the others about respecting parents especially since I am one, but we can still think it’s unfair)! Good luck!
Try waiting 32 years like I did LOL I thought I'd never see the day.

Try waiting 32 years like I did LOL I thought I'd never see the day.

That’s long time to wait I only waited 12 years to get my own pet

Now my parents are pushing me to get a dog. So they can also have a dog to take care of. They just don’t want to pay and have the responsibility that comes with owning a pet.

For the first year I kept my bunny inside in a dog exercise pen with a rug, litter box, a cat pet bed and toys like apple wood to chew on. It got to the point we could leave it open and she had the run of the house. I had to get her spayed because when she came into heat she would become mean and started spraying urine marking the house. The day after being fixed she stopped spraying and became sweet again. Make sure there are no exposed cords or use cord covers and keep house plants up. If you have hay in a litter box, a low Tupperware bin with litter, then half inch square wire that sits over it, then fill with hay, they like to mark their food which is why litter training is easy.. I adopted a second rabbit and he was a big chewer no matter what I did. I built a two level indoor pen and connected it to the exercise pen, so they have plenty of play space when not out. Good luck! Hopefully you can convince your parents. :)

Latest posts

Back