New member considering 4-h companion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't owned a rabbit in over 12 years, so my bunny care is a bit rusty. However, my youngest wants to do 4h. They want to raise a bunny companion and show it at the county fair.

My youngest is 9, homeschooled, and has adhd. He is super friendly, loving, sensitive, and gentle.

What breed would work well in a smaller house and be easy to take care of for a child who will have adult supervision and support?

With a 9 year old, I'd definitely steer clear of the small breeds that are more delicate and therefore more prone to harm from improper handling. Stick with a medium to large (not giant) breed. Also avoid any that have long coats that require excess grooming (lionheads, jersey wooly, angoras, american fuzzy).

Before choosing, check with your local 4h to see their requirements (and possible suggestions). It's been years since I've looked, but last time I checked, the rabbit care on 4H's official site had care requirements that did not align with the current care suggestions for pet rabbits. (Probably because their focus was teaching animal husbandry for livestock.) So it'd be good to see what qualifications a rabbit needs in order to be permitted to show. Some may require (or forbid) indoor housing, or fixed rabbits, or a particular age, weight, diet, etc.

Last edited:
With a 9 year old, I'd definitely steer clear of the small breeds that are more delicate and therefore more prone to harm from improper handling. Stick with a medium to large (not giant) breed. Also avoid any that have long coats that require excess grooming (lionheads, jersey wooly, angoras, american fuzzy).

Before choosing, check with your local 4h to see their requirements (and possible suggestions). It's been years since I've looked, but last time I checked, the rabbit care on 4H's official site had care requirements that did not align with the current care suggestions for pet rabbits. (Probably because their focus was teaching animal husbandry for livestock.) So it'd be good to see what qualifications a rabbit needs in order to be permitted to show. Some may require (or forbid) indoor housing, or fixed rabbits, or a particular age, weight, diet, etc.
I checked they have a pet class and aside from a medical check don't have much requirements.

Latest posts

Back