New member and new owner of French Lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m here to learn as much as I can about my new French lops. I have 2 sisters - Truffle and Lottie and they are 10 1/2 weeks old. This is their 4th day with me and they are doing brilliantly (though it’s more work than I expected it’s totally worth it)

I’ve owned all sorts of animals before - mostly dogs but also cats, rats and hamsters.

I’ve moved into my first home of my own so I was so happy that I could finally get a pair of rabbits. They live indoors but will have lots of access to outside when they are a bit older and the weather is nice.

So hi! Looking forward to learning and becoming a great French Lop owner

Hello! Welcome to the forum! I would love to see pictures of your babies!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Though personality isn't really determined by breed, I have heard that French Lops tend to have quite unique personalities as a whole. I had one years ago. He had been rescued from a hoarding situation. I'd have to say that -- to this day -- he stands out as one of my favorites.

Being in England, I guess you know about the dangers of myxo and the need for vaccines. If you intend to let them outside, that is particularly important.

Our rabbits only very rarely go outside. They remain indoors where it is cooler (I live in the desert). They get their exercise zipping and binkying about the house.

Hi all, I am the new owner of 2 french lops. I am concerned as my buck (intact) has started mounting my doe (intact) both 4 months old. All the literature I've read states that giant breeds cannot breed until 8 or 9months of age... is this truly the case or can they possibly breed sooner? I have chosen to separate for the time being, as this may simply be hormonal and seasonal interest. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. Thank you

Hi all, I am the new owner of 2 french lops. I am concerned as my buck (intact) has started mounting my doe (intact) both 4 months old. All the literature I've read states that giant breeds cannot breed until 8 or 9months of age... is this truly the case or can they possibly breed sooner? I have chosen to separate for the time being, as this may simply be hormonal and seasonal interest. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. Thank you
They are old enough to be neutered, actually you have left it quite late. Keep them separated until 8 weeks after the last one has been done. Find a rabbit vet here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List You're really lucky, you're very close to one of the best rabbit vets in the world, Molly Varga!

Back