New Member and excited to be here :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I am a 2-time bunny owner and so glad to find this forum. (I have had chickens for almost 10 years now and the Backyard Chickens forum has been a literal life-saver for me and our flock.)

A sweet little Dwarf bunny dropped in our laps about 7 months ago. He's a long story, but it was unexpected and I did a ton of research to make sure his life was the best a bunny's could be. Unfortunately, he had malocclusion and after 3 vets recommended removal of those teeth (including the state vet school/hospital), I went ahead and did it. Pepe didn't make it. But, that's a whole 'nother drama.

After 1 weeks and 1 day without our sweet boy, it was like a switch flipped in my brain. I litterally jumped in my car at 3PM, drove down to the local shelter, and adopted a Dutch mix. We've had her 3 days now and she's warming up to us so well. I'm so glad I honored Pepe with giving another bunny a safe home.

Now, a little more:
My "encore job" (post-retirement from teaching) is the director of a Tiny Farm on a local school property. We bring in animals during the summer for our summer education programs. Bunnies are one of these animals (that's where Pepe came from) and then the animals go live with families or in classrooms (in the case of the bunnies) for the school year. I got this job halfway through the summer last year so one of my focuses has been improvement of the animal environments - especially the rabbits and chickens. I am so excited to set up the best environments for these animals, as well as to teach solid animal husbandry to our students. That didn't happen last year the best that it could have.

Long intro, sorry. I'm excited to search and know and do what's right for our animals!
Thanks for having me here,
Michelle

Welcome to the forum!
We're all here to learn and share information anyway; no need to feel sorry for anything!

Welcome! I’m always happy to hear about proper education about animal husbandry! No reason to be sorry! It’s nice to have another long time chicken owner on here, we’ve had them for 14 years.

Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you found us. Having a pet rabbit at home (and learning more along the way) will come in handy for being able to help look after the rabbits at the Tiny Farm. I'm so glad you are wanting to look after them! Unfortunately it is a large task to oversee the proper care of rabbits that are put into a classroom setting. A classroom is far from ideal for a rabbit and it is rare to find people who manage it properly. Your commitment may just be what those rabbits will need to live healthy, happy lives.

The House Rabbit Society has an article that addresses rabbits in the classroom. Some should undoubtedly be familiar, but there may be some new helpful suggestions as well.
https://rabbit.org/faq-classroom-rabbits/
Of course, we're here to help if you have any questions!

Last edited:
As you get creative with the care of the rabbits even at the Tiny Farm, here is a video that addresses the typical "hutch" that a rabbit is often kept in. It addresses their shortcomings.

Thanks for the links! I will definitely check them out! I know that one of our bunnies has free range of the classroom he’s in every day (except weekends 🙁). He stays in the area of the room that has a rug and the kids love having him. The others (a bonded pair) aren’t so fortunate. They do get out of their hutch (not a grated bottom, thank heavens) almost every day but only for a couple of hours and within a small enclosure. I’m working to train those teachers for next year to make their environments even better.

And I hate to admit the summer situation last year. I came in halfway through the summer, so routines were already established. This summer I am changing things up big time. It will absolutely be better, and I will likely post some questions about how to make it the absolute best for the bunnies!

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back