New(ish) bun and his funny run habits. A couple of questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi

Reaction score
I have a pair of rabbits, male and female both neutered and bonded and happy together. Big hutch and run, love their food, no issues really. Easy peasy happy bunnies.

A few weeks ago I took on a new bun. Lovely little boy, 3 years old now neutered (was full on so I had him done quick) but has been a breeding buck up to now. He is very friendly, loves being picked up and cuddled and runs to the front of the hutch when he hears me coming. He was on a museli style food with no previous veg so I have gradually moved him onto science selective and introduced small portions of green stuff. So far so good.

I am a little worried about his run habits. He has my other rabbits old run which is still a nice size at 7 feet by 4 feet (he is a mini lop and tiny weeny). All he does is sit/hide in whatever I have put in there for him, normally either a tunnel or his carrier stuffed with hay. He only seems to come out when I go to give him a fuss and he is even leaving any cecals he produces in his 'spot' often sitting in them after and making a mess of himself. If the weather is crummy and he is in his hutch he never leaves them, they are always eaten. It is as if he is frightened the entire time hes in his run and I feel terrible for him just sitting there for hours and almost feel as though I should leave him in his hutch instead.

My other rabbits are in their big run every day happily playing and grazing on the grass, I want to help my little boy be the same way. I do intend to get him a friend in a couple of months but as he came to me not neutered I now have to wait a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds like he is scared in the run now, but he may get used to it over time. I would only leave him in it for short periods of time as he gets used to it. You could encourage him to hop around when he is in there by luring with treats and playing with him to give him the idea that he is supposed to have fun in there.

Latest posts

Back