New idea - food coloring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberNBuns

Reaction score
I am going to follow Buck's advice and put vanillain Kibbles and Theodore's water. He mentioned that they willconsume more, so my wheels started spinning, and I was wondering ifthere would be any harm in putting a drop of food coloring in theirwater to make it easier to see the water level in passing.Any opinions on this???

Food dye probably would not harm them, but thevanilla will darken the water some, depending how much youadd. It makes it easier to see the water level in and ofitself. Don't know if food dye will alter the color of theirurine. If so, that could lead to some interestingobservations. LOL

Styrofoam bead, small cork, pop bead, any small object that floats can also serve as a float level marker.

Buck

Thanks again Buck. Those are all greatsuggestions. You impress me as being veryknowledgeable. I think I got the impression you are abreeder, is that correct? Or did I just assume this whenIsaw how many rabbits you have? ;)

I also recall you saying that you mixed about ateaspoon per gallon. (Correct me if I am wrong) Iguess what I would like to know is how much is not enough to beeffective? I am just putting a bit in their water bottle whenI fill it.

Does it need to be pure vanilla extract? I don't imagine imitation vanilla would work the same.

Also, I have used a product called bi-odor with Kibbles, to reduce the smell of his peepers and poopers.

The ingredient list reads:
Deioized Water, aspartic acid, threonine, serine, glutamic acid,glycine, alanine, valine, methionine, isoleucine, leucine, tyrosine,phenylamine, histidine, lysine, arginine, cysteine, proline.May or may not contain sodium bicarbonate, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, sodium benzoate.

Other than baking soda, do you recognize anything in this product thatI could buy individually to add to their water to have the sameeffect? This stuff is quite expensive for how long (or notlong) it lasts.

Hi AmberN2Buns,

The vanilla will cut into the urine smell, it helps prevent flystrikefrom occuring. The flies don't like the smell. I'msure you probably are aware of that, but thought I'd mention itanyway.

It can be vanilla extract, and you just need a drop if adding it to thewaterbottle. Buck will probably get back to you with aprecise measurement, but I just eyeball it when I've done it.Tucker hates flavored water.

Buck is constantly studying and reading about rabbits any chance hegets. He's not a breeder, but I have no doubt that he couldeasily make the transition if he ever wished to.He's taught breeders a thing or two, I can assureyouofthat, and he's learned a lot from them overthe years. He's been rescuing rabbits and had been closelyaffiliated to his rabbit rescue group for many years.

As you can tell, he's an amazingly wonderful individual with thepatience of Jobe and always open to learning new things. He'squite a gentleman.

-Carolyn

Don't add dye. My girlfriend did that. Her bunnhad an accident in the living room. She now has a green spot on hercarpet that won't come out. It seemed like a good idea for St. Patty'sDay lol.

Tina

I agree that there is no need for dye. Iput plastic milk jug tops in the water bottles. They arecolorful, they float, and it makes it easy to view the waterlevel. Other small plastic items that float will serve thesame purpose. My friend has little plastic turtles in hertravel water bottles :)

Pam

ShouldI leave the vanilla thing for now?I don't know if it will harm Daisy while she is feeding or the babieswhen they start drinking (although this wont be for a couple of weeks),also what about my 4 week old bunnies are they too young? Any advicewill be much apreciated :)

I'm really confused. I dont want to put too much or too little in their drink. What do you mean by eyeball? Help?

wuv 4rm

loz ebs fidget

xoxoxo

I recommend 1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla per gallon ofdrinking water...because most people "demand" an exact amount, but Ijust "eyeball" it, myself. I add until it "discolors" the water asufficient amount to "look" and smell right.

Dajeti2, who is obviously familiar with its use, seems to addmore than I do. This is not rocket science and we do not havemake such exacting measurements. It is also "natural" if youchoose to buy the more expensive extract, although all who have used itseem to agree that the artificial flavoring works just as well,therefore, I doubt if it would be detrimental to fetuses, but I cannotattest to that fact.

Bunty recently pointed out that her extract did include alcohol, andwould that present a problem? Maybe, withthe unborn,eh? We know prospective humanmoms arediscouraged from imbibing alcohol pre-natally. Does it applyto rabbits? Don't know. Do breeders withprospective kittens stop using vanilla in the drinking water for fearof potential problems? I doubt it, but, again, Icannot attest to that fact.

Thank you for the compliment, AmberN2Buns. I am not abreeder, but simply a pet owner like yourself. We've owned,fostered, inherited or sat for ten bunnies in about as manyyears. Five are with us as I type, and another willbe coming home to roost here shortly.

I say, "coming home to roost," because we helped a family purchaseher(Fauna)the "right" way, from a reputable breeder, with reputablestock, four years ago. Unfortunately, Fauna hasbeensadly neglected for most her life and, consequently, has becomeunresponsive and apathetic toward anything around her. Wetried to get her out of the that situation a year ago when the womanwho purchased her died, but hernine year olddaughter wouldn't let go, and we understood whythatwas so.

We have finally gotten the daughter's okay, and we will try to undo theunhappiness we caused for this little darling Holland Lopbun,who looks like a minature Missy, our avatar, and leading housebun. The lesson for us in this situation wastolet people buy their own rabbits, and, therefore,be fully responsible for them! Provide anyinformation that we can, but do not interject into the selection orpurchase of a bun. Once having done so,we make aconnection that will always remain in our consciences. As myspinal surgeon's assistant once said, "Once he(the surgeon) operates onyou, he is 'married' to you for life."

All our rabbits are neutered. All get frequent opportunity tofree range. We used to permit them to free range 24/7 and hadthe satisfaction,enjoyment, and the delight ofwatching them dance in the moonlight!

Alas, we got central air conditioning and could no longer"hear" what was going on outdoors in the evening, so we began to housethem in their hutches and/or indoor cages during the evening hours...sowe could sleep at ease. In all the years prior, we had neverhad an untoward incident that presented a significant danger to any ofthem for we had taken precautionary measures, such as aground level "safe house," for example, but once we got nervous aboutit, we knew we could never leave them outside all nightwithout being able to hear them

We truly believe buns enjoy free ranging in our backyard for it is asclose to living naturally as can be done in a safe,outdoor,enclosed environment.

Aren't you glad you asked........? :D

Buck

Latest posts

Back