New holland lop bunny questions....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollie1115

Reaction score
Hi,
Today I just picked up a black 5 month old holland lop buck and a black 8 week old holland lop doe. I am homing them separately until both are fixed.
The buck seems to he enjoying himself and made himself right at home.
The doe allows me to hold her but when in the cage will not come out of this little straw oxbow bungalow thingy I got her. I know it's a little soon to be worried, but is this normal? I am sure she is just scared about her new environment. But I also don't want her to not be eating is drinking.. Any input would he great, thanks!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384151214.473230.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384151243.596425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

It's pretty common for rabbits to behave like your doe. Sometimes it's just until they settle into their new environment. Sometimes it's permanent. Most of my rabbits run to greet me at their doors, but some prefer to sit back in a corner and just watch me unless I initiate contact (pick them up). It's nothing to be worried about, but regular handling can certainly help them come out of their shell.

Bucks do tend to be more social than does. So he may be more naturally inclined to check you out. :)

This past summer we got a 5-6-month-old black Holland Lop buck and he was very shy. He'd scoot away from us every chance he got. I had to corner him in order to pick him up (still do sometimes). It took several weeks for him to warm up to us. Every book and many websites said to give them 48 hours to adjust to their new home. Based on my experience, this was malarkey. It can take way longer.

Some are instantly useable and others take time. The 48 hours usually refers to letting them settle in and get comfy before you start working with them. All of ours are rescues and some from a less than good circumstance so they do take a little time to get their trust while others were just lap bunnies. Time and patience, also, bribery helps to get them to come to you once they get over their fear of predators--on average your about 20 times their size---like a killer whale swimming up to you in the open ocean.

She actually has been hopping around in her cage today not hiding as much.. Guess I was just a worried first time bunny mom!
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Back