New Here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvit73

Reaction score
Hi all , I'm new to this forum . I have severalpets - 21 rats , 4 kids , 2 dogs , 2 guinea pigs , 1 kitty , 1 hubby ,and 1 rabbit . Animals , the lot of 'em ! lol

I rescue abused and unwanted animals . I got Lola two days ago , at mylocal Petco - I had went in to get viatimin C drops for the guineas ,and there was a man there , with two rabbits in a tiny chicken wirecage too small for either animal to lay down . (Petco here takesunwanted small animals for adoption) . Well , they didn't have any roomfor them , already full up with adoptables . The man told them if theydidn't take the rabbits , he was going to go home and kill them both -he had gotten them for his grandkids , and they were "bored" with them, he didn't want them . I heard him , and another lady heardhim- we couldn't let that happen , so now I have my veryfirst rabbit .

I don't know much about them . I was told she is a year old standardrabbit , but I have my doubts . After researching the internet , Ibelieve her to be a Giant Flemish Rabbit . If anyone can say yea or nay, I would appreciate it . She is coal black , she weighs 12 lbs. ,she's about 2 1/2 feet streched out , her ears are almost six incheslong , big dewlap , her fur rolls back into place if I stroke herbackwards , and her ears are crooked on the tips . Also - her bodydoesn't have that half circle look other rabbits have , rather , itreminds me of a sideways pear .

She is so sweet , she goes right to her cage to potty - but , she ispeople shy , she loves for me to pet her in her cage , and she actuallyhopped up on my bed the first day , and sprawled out to nap with me .But , if I try to touch her outside the cage , or pick her up at all -she freaks . Please help , I don't yet understand bunny behaviour , howto teach her I won't hurt her , ect... I want to understand her , andgive her all the love and happiness she deserves . Any advice would beappreciated ! Her breed , behaviour , is there any way to tell how oldshe is ? (A year is a guess on the part of the pet store) Please help !Thank you all , in advance .

She sounds so sweet! Without apedigree, it's hard to tell what breed she may be. Flemish ispossible, but there are other breeds and mixes that looksimilar. For instance, a solid Checkered Giant can bemistaken for other large breeds and can look similar to Flemish (eventhough the Checkered is considered a "full arch" body type, theysometimes pass as other breeds with mandolin type). There arealso other breeds with that "mandolin" body type similar to the Flemish.

Pam

Hi Luvit73, sounds like you have a whole herd ofanimals and humans to take care of. Thank God for people like you witha soft spot in their heart for animals. Also congrats on your newbunny. One question was about the bunny not liking to be picked up.Most rabbits would prefer to remain "in control" of their feet and likethem planted firmly on the ground. My flemish hates to be picked up soI try to avoid it as often as possible. If you have to pick them up itis easier if you can wrap them in a towel to avoid possible injury toeither of you. Rabbits are very delicate and can easily cause a backinjury by kicking and squirming while being held. Sometimes it helps tocover their eyes with your hand. When your bun is out with you it isbest to just sit and observe, your bunny will learn to trust you thequickest I think if you just wait for them to initiate contact. Theywill nudge you with their nose's when they want some loving. Rabbitscan be very wary and since you aren't sure of her age or her backgroundit may take her awhile to overcome her anxiety at being touched. Startslowly, they like their foreheads rubbed and appreciate it if you pickthe "sleep" out of their eyes. An occasional treat can help overcomefear as well. While she is eating, stroke her forehead and praise her.I hope this helps out some, if you have any more questions there is agreat website on bunny behavior. I will post the link as soon as I findit. Any other questions just let me know! Good luck and Congrats onbeing a new bunny mom!http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html,heres the link for bun behavior, excellent site!

Fergi's mom

Welcome, Welcome,Welcome,Luvit45!

Bless your Heartfor the gift of love, life, and a new beginning to all the animals in your care.

Jump in anywhere with questions or comments wherever you wish.

-Carolyn

Well , here's my first question already ,lol . I am trying to figure out if Lola considers me friend or foe - Ican't quite figure out the posture/nose/ear thing yet . Yesterday (her4th day with us) I was sitting on the floor watching tv , in the hopesshe would hop up to me . I had my legs stretched out . She did hop over, but kept sniffing my feet and legs , circle around , and do it again. She alternated between gently pressing her nose to my foot , tonudging it harder . But - regardless , if I reached out to touch her ,she hopped away ! Later in the day , I was at my computer , crosslegged in my chair - she came over and put her front paws on my leg ,and stood up to look at me , sniffing like crazy - again , when I triedto reach out to her , she immediately hopped away . Lastly - in theevening , I had lain down on the floor , face down . She again keptcircleing me , lightly pressing her nose to me here and there, and finally , flopped down on the floor about six inches away from me. I sat up , and she didn't move . But when I tried to touch her again, she hopped away . I just don't get it - am I doing somthing wrong ?Or , am I totally misinterperating her signals , and she really doesn'tlike me at all ?

Also - last night , when she went back into her cage - shebegan banging on the bars insistantly , so I let her back out - andallowed her to spend the night in her favorite corner . Is this ok?

Try to sit on the floor with her, this way you'llbe on the same level with her. Don't try to pick her up yet, since mostbunnies are afraid of heights.
When you pet her, try to move your hand slowly and always pet her fromthe front where she can see your hand. Or just let her sniff your handfirst.
Our bunny hops away too if we try to pet him, but with time he gets more comfortable.

As long as the place she is in is bunny secure, she can stay out allnight. Bunnies are more active at night. We let our bunny play outsideof his cage all night long.

The fact that she keeps coming to sniff you andintereact with you is a great sign. With time she will become morecomfortable around you. It all takes time, just spend time with her.

Ok , thanks ! Each day gets a bit moreinteresting with her - this morning , after I had sat on the floor -she came straight over , and gave my knee a good nudge - like goodmorning . Still couldn't pet her , though .

Welcome! That is AWESOME that you have 21 rats.That must be a heck of a lot of work, though! I have had 5 rats duringmy life, and 4 at one time was the most I ever had. Cleaning theirpalatial cage was quite a task. I also unfortunately developed a rathersevere allergy to them. :( It's so sad that they live for such a shorttime. I get so attached to them, and then they die so quickly. 2-3years is not enough! I don't think I'll get any more rats, at least notfor a while, but now I have a bunny, Winston! He reminds me a lot ofyour Lola. I just got him this weekend. He'd been languishing in a petstore (a nice one, too, thank goodness) for several months and no onewanted him. Now I have him! He's very skittish and doesn't like me topet him or walk around near him, but he'll sniff me and is okay withcoming closer to me if I'm laying on the ground. Good luck with Lola!

Welcome to the Forum Luvit73...

Its all about time she is warming up to you thats why she keeps nudging and being very curious about you but again its all Time.

Just like when you meet someone for the first time you need time to adjust to them.

You also dont know what kind of life she had before you. Shesounds so sweet and God bless you for your mini farm of animals wellnot really mini ehehehe. I wish I could devote the time and space tomore animals then I have already heck I would if my husband wasn'tthere to talk some sense into me heheh.

Marie

Thanks all , I feel better knowing she doesn'tdislike me . :)She is warming up more every day - last night, I did that head shake thing at her , and she did it back to me ! Shewas also hopping across my legs , like she was playing - and , sherubbed her chin on my toes . Also - she is now laying down facing me ,only inches from me - is that a bunny compliment ? I (felt reallystupid) walked around her in circles , and reached down to stroke her -and she allowed it , even kept her ears up .

Latest posts

Back