New here, We found a Bunny on the side of the road...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfinley

Reaction score
I found a bunny on the side of the road last night. It is VERY friendly and even fallows me around the house. I have placed an ad saying that I have found a bunny and for someone to contact me with description if they have lost one.

But in the mean time what do I need to take care of it? I got some rabbit food and a bowl of water. What else should I get to care for it?

Also how can I tell if it is male or female? I am not sure if I will keep it or not but the darn thing is growing on me lol. It is just roaming my house now, I have shut all doors to keep it in the livingroom and kitchen. I kept it in a cat carrier overnight. It knows what a cat is, as it has tried to play with my cat and she is very confused and not sure about it yet lol.

Could it be litter trained? Should I try putting a litter box out for it? IF so what type of litter do I need to use?

Anyhow any type of advice or suggestions would be great.

here is a picture any idea of its breed?
photo.php
picture
photo.php

its cute! i wonder if it escaped or somebody released it? It looks pretty healthy so it must not have been outside long roaming free.

i would try a litterbox, with "yesterdays news" for litter (its made from recycled paper).

Ok, what type of hay? We have horses and goats, so I have Coastal and Alfalfa. And how much, if alfalfa does it need to me limited amounts?

alfala is fine I feed it to all my rabbits. if you have a toilet paper roll just the cardboard part. take it and stuff it full of hay. that should last a day or two then refill it as needed. good luck

I'm pretty sure alfalfa is usually only fed to young rabbits.
Most of us feed timothy hay.
And you should free feed it, so he always had hay available.
They do also litter train fairly easy.
What I do is put them in a small area or cage. Place the litter box in a corner, or where they usually "go". Put litter and hay in the box and a small bowl filled with pellets. And tada!
It only took my rabbits a day or two to figure it out.

He/she is darling by the way.
I would say keep it.
I would.
:p

Timothy hay or Orchard grass--alfalfa is used with young, growing bunnies but is too high in calcium for use with a grwon bunny--we cut ours of and made the switch at six months. A timothy based pellet would be good. We get kiln dried pine shavings at Walmart for the litter boxes and also shred up newspaper as the love playing with it as well as for their other needs. Wabbitdad or one of the other mods will pick this up and give you some links for care and all the other good stuff. That's the good news. Now for the other kind. We have seen all kinds of ads in the paper for found rabbits in the last 8 years, but, have not seen one for a lost rabbit. Your bunny looks to be well fed and taken care of so it couldn't have been on it's own for long but we have grave doubts it just got away from someone. We wish you luck and hope that you join in with all of us and become a bunny "slave".

Ok well I have a new question about this little bunny. Is it common for a rabbit to pee on you? Because this little guy just jumped up on the sofa and crawled in my lap and peed just a little. I was wondering if he might have a urinary infection or something. Or if they do this from time to time. Also he kept rubbing the bottom of his mouth on me. at first I thought he was going to bite, but he just rubbed his mouth on me, is this a teritory marking thing?

Bunneh claimed you :winkIt's a 'priviledge' Lol. He sounds like a total sweetheart. By the way, I'm quite sure the alfalfa is safe to feed him for now since that is what you have on hand. If you decide to keep him long term, he'd probablybe better off on the timothy then since alfalfa is rich and high in calcium. The main risk would probablybe that he became picky later on when switched. I myself use timothy as the main but treat them with various other kinds :)

I don't know if you have a city pound or shelters that you could contact about the lost bunny. Many usually have a lost pet section so maybe that could help finding the owner if he was indeed lost and not abandoned.

As for litters, most people would suggest compacted wood or newspaper pellets. These litters are often used for when cats are declawed so you might recognize them for that reason. Cat litter should NOT be used, especially not clumping.

He reminds me of a bunny that my parents also found on the road... I named her Bumper since she had marks on her back. I assumed she got them from passing under cars and rubbing against them. Lol. She was also super friendly and took a liking to my cat. hehe. Larger bunnies are usually very mellow.

I hope you keep him if no one claims him. He sure seems to like you ;)

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

That is great you just didn't leave this poor bun by the side of the road. It is beautiful.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

kfinley wrote:
Is it common for a rabbit to pee on you? Because this little guy just jumped up on the sofa and crawled in my lap and peed just a little.... Also he kept rubbing the bottom of his mouth on me.
I think the peeing thing is territory marking - at least, I keep telling myself that when Natasha lets go on me. That's why I'm sitting here with a plastic bag and a towel on my lap. It has gotten better over time, so I'm confident the habit will stop when she's really comfortable.

As to the rubbing his mouth on you, rabbits have scent glands under their chins which leave a smell only other rabbits can detect. He will chin anything he wants to claim as his - so yes, he's saying, "you are mine". Take it as a compliment.

sounds like you've been claimed and marked. Both are territorial behaviors. When we let our guys out they spend the first five minutes sniffing and chinning everything.

He looks almost my Gaston! If you do choose to keep him I just wanted to let you know my rabbit has been once of the most rewarding pets I've ever had. You'll find lots of great information on this forum! I'd give you more advice but I'm just learning myself. :)

Oh My Darlin Rabbitry wrote:
alfala is fine I feed it to all my rabbits.
Please switch to timothy, oats or other types of hay if your bunnies are older than 6 months. I'm going to post this in nutritions section soon since I have a JPEG version of x-ray. My old bunny got sick, so we took x-ray and there was some serious calcium deposits in his kidney and such. Alfalfa is high in calcium, so stop giving it once bunnies are 6 months old. Vet said eventually, he will feel pain when he pees. I don't think any bunny owners want that to happen to their babies. You have no idea how much I feel bad when I saw it. He passed away, but I still feel guilty about it. I didn't know well, and that's why I joined RO to learn more.

By the way OP, that's one gorgeous bunny. Please learn about bunny and take good care of him.

Latest posts

Back